• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Doesn't bother me when someone send me a lowball offer. Maybe they really are new and havent researched the vaule on a particular gun and just dont know. Thats no reason act like _________ to our fellow members.

Also just because someone sets up a meet and price, they still have to look over your gun. If its not what is described, why should they be obligated to buy it? Hasnt happend to me, but just throwing it out there.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Nothing wrong with putting an estimated value

Good idea Cole. Why not just put a trade value price on it? I have seen it a couple of times in threads. This might be aqueation for the Mods because I have not seen it in any rukles section. Would it be OK to put a FOR SALE PRICE and the a FOR TRADE VALUE PRICE? Might keep a few tirekickers from responding.

There is nothing wrong with putting an estimated value on a item you would like to trade, just be realistic about it. Look your gun up in the blue book or go on a site like Gunbroker.com and see what they are SELLING FOR, not the asking price which is sometimes on the high side.

I hear from many of my customers that a few people on INGo are always looking to steal everything but want top dollar when they are selling. I know everything I sold in personal guns I priced fairly and they all sold within a few days for asking price. There are as many game players with the sellers as the buyers; if you don't like the price just say no thanks and move on. :twocents:

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    Also just because someone sets up a meet and price, they still have to look over your gun. If its not what is described, why should they be obligated to buy it? Hasnt happend to me, but just throwing it out there.

Good question, and I say absolutely not:cool:

When I do trading/selling of knives over mail/forums, I always give the person the opprotunity to send it back if they're not 100% satisfied with it and I will refund their money fully.

Never had it happen though, I always describe my stuff as it is:rockwoot:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    There is nothing wrong with putting an estimated value on a item you would like to trade, just be realistic about it.
    You mean my stuff is not worth twice it's actual value just because I own it??? ;)

Honestly...you're probably always going to have someone give you a low ball offer. People are always wanting to find a real bargain. Anything put up for sale here is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. :twocents:

You may have a firearm that blue books for $750...but if your only offer is a low ball $500...that's all it's worth at that given moment. There may be 12 people that if they had the $750 would pay it...but if they don't have it...it's still only worth the $500 low ball offer.

And remember...a firearm that has rust pits, scratches or holster or blueing wear is NOT LNIB. A 3 or 4 year old firearm is not likely to gain value. Unless driven by the market...which we've seen lately. That same firearm at a gun shop probably will be worth around 60% to 70% of retail. I'm not knocking gun shops...it's how they make a living. They also take a gamble if they can move it or not.

The last Indy 1500 I went to a dealer had an AK-47 identical to one I had. He had a $1600 price tag on it. :rolleyes: I told him I'd sell him mine for $850...and that he could apparently sell it easily for $1200. He offered me $450. I told him no thanks, but I'd give him $525 for his new one. He told me to go...well...he told me no. :):

Like Michiana said...just say no thanks and move on. :)

Last edited:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Honestly...you're probably always going to have someone give you a low ball offer. People are always wanting to find a real bargain. Anything put up for sale here is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
    Like Michiana said...just say no thanks and move on. :)

I have a great example of pricing, I have some Rock River stripped lowers for sale that I purchased a couple weeks ago for stock. If a member wanted to purchase a brand new lower they would have to do so thru a FFL, they cannot buy one on their own from a dist. or factory. I charge $20 for a transfer, which is the average price for this service. If they buy a lower from a gun store they will have to pay that owners markup to cover his/her expenses plus his profit and IN sales tax. If they purchase one from a individual that person or someone before him has paid a markup, there is no free lunch.

I have to pay X amount plus a percentage of the shipping cost for this lower and I mark them up just over $15, less than I would make on a transfer where I have zero investment in the gun, do not have to charge sales tax, have zero risk and do not have to do a lot of bookwork. I have been told by several INGo members that I am charging too much for my lowers, they can buy a Stag for less. Well so can I, Stag Arms stripped lowers sell for $20 less than Rock River Arms and I believe they are of lower quality.

To these people a lower is a lower is a lower; they all look alike. These are probably the same people who are asking new gun prices for a five year old pistol with holster wear. Some people you can't educate, they won't change, so why let them bother you. Price right and wait until a sensible buyer comes along; not everyone is looking at the classifies every day.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    This is my standard reply to a Low ball offer ..

Sorry i can't sell it for that at this time but thanks for your intrest ...

the former INGO member who i was speaking of then started sending me PM's telling me how i was trying to rip people off because i would not trade him for a gun worth half of what mine books for .....

I am not a gun dealer in any way shape or form ....I have sold / traded 3 guns on here (have had 4 listed ) ..I have others I would like to sell or trade to change the HEARD up a bit but with all the grief going on with the post count deal and the drama associated with this i am just holding off for awhile ..

I have never sold a gun because i needed to so if i never sell another on here no big deal ..but i do enjoy swapping around just for something a lil different from time to time .:ingo::patriot:

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I agree to a certain extent, and I do message them back with the sorry no thanks or ask them what they value their gun. Then I'll give them my gun's value (if it hasn't already been stated). I don't go off on them. I think this thread is a place to release some of that "energy" without being a jerk to anyone in specific. I wouldn't consider that "complaining," just stating the facts.

I disagree with the comparison to a ca 100%. I don't believe it's like that in the slightest. When you put a $600 scope on a rifle, it's worth that much more, maybe a little less. Same goes with any other accessory. It will always add value to the gun. If you can't get that value out of it, get it back to stock and sell it that way and that's how I've done it in the past. Works good for me. That's my take on that:D

I see your disagreement on my comparison to a car, I did miss word that from what I was actually meaning. What I meant to convey there was that yes if you add accessories the value of the total package increases put it is still not worth what everything was purchased for new. What I meant by comparing it to a car was that just like a car, every mile/round you put through it decreases the value of the item by a fraction.

I don't go off on them. I think this thread is a place to release some of that "energy" without being a jerk to anyone in specific. I wouldn't consider that "complaining," just stating the facts.

I agree, nice isn't it.

I have had instances both ways on the side of attempting to purchase an item. The first was very pleasent. I saw an item I was interested in that had many accessories I didn't have a use for, I PMed the gentleman and asked what the price would be and if I could just purchase the rifle and mags because I didn't really have a use for the other stuff. He replied with a reduced cost and stated that many items went with it because they came with it. I ended up missing the deal due to having to repair my truck, but it was a courteous encounter. Thanks flatlander!:patriot:

On the other hand I had a similar situation with another member where I asked the same questions, made it know that I was not trying to lowball them just curious if they were interested. I was interested and the item was a very fair price, but did not have use for some of the extras. I must honestly say that if we were face to face he probably would have hit me, atleast by the vocabulary he used in his response. I was interested in the item regardless and would have taken the extras but after that reaction it was a definate no-deal.:dunno:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    IT's not just INGO where this happens. I've seen it anywhere and everywhere. Craigslist is really, really bad for that sort of ignorant behavior. I've seen it on motorcycle boards and the like as well.

It's such a PITA too. I try to be fair in al my dealings with people. I'm not a shady used car salesman, nor do I act like one. Is it too much too ask that your fellow human being recognize that same standard of decency?

It doesn't matter what you're selling. You could have the best price in the world, like a NIB Glock for 350, and some of these used car sales wannabes will still try and beat you up to get it for 200. The concept of fair price and fair dealing doesn't even cross their degenerate minds.

Sure, the seller can just say no. But that isn't even the issue.

Treat other people like you'd want to be treated, The Golden Rule. I thought most people were taught that in kindergarten. Apparently not. That's what it comes down to.
    If you were selling/trading, would you want some jack*$$ offering you his used gun missing parts at a value that's $100 more than a brand new one? Heck no, because it's insulting and disrespectful. Why the heck would you turn around and do it to someone else then?

The Golden Rule, people. Learn it, and live it.

/Rant

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    When God handed out brains and manners some people were hiding behind the door; this is how the world is. There are people on this and other forums I would not sell a gun to no matter how much I could make doing the sale. There are definitely a few people I have watched on here I would not buy or sell anything with them. You are not going to change them nor evade them if you are dealing in this type of venue. Some people are just self-centered rude SOB’s so just ignore them; they can’t help being _______ (fill in the blank). Just price your items fairly and ignore the insulting offers, just consider the source. Most people are great to deal with.

Last edited:

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    I see your disagreement on my comparison to a car, I did miss word that from what I was actually meaning. What I meant to convey there was that yes if you add accessories the value of the total package increases put it is still not worth what everything was purchased for new. What I meant by comparing it to a car was that just like a car, every mile/round you put through it decreases the value of the item by a fraction.

I agree, nice isn't it.

I have had instances both ways on the side of attempting to purchase an item. The first was very pleasent. I saw an item I was interested in that had many accessories I didn't have a use for, I PMed the gentleman and asked what the price would be and if I could just purchase the rifle and mags because I didn't really have a use for the other stuff. He replied with a reduced cost and stated that many items went with it because they came with it. I ended up missing the deal due to having to repair my truck, but it was a courteous encounter. Thanks flatlander!:patriot:

On the other hand I had a similar situation with another member where I asked the same questions, made it know that I was not trying to lowball them just curious if they were interested. I was interested and the item was a very fair price, but did not have use for some of the extras. I must honestly say that if we were face to face he probably would have hit me, atleast by the vocabulary he used in his response. I was interested in the item regardless and would have taken the extras but after that reaction it was a definate no-deal.:dunno:

Yup :cheers:

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    i agree

IMHO if you get a low ball offer and don't like it, then why don't you just say "Sorry, no thanks" and go on instead of bitching about it.

What really gets me the most is someone that prices a firearm at $300-$500 more than it was worth new and a few little accesories and get pissed and cry when some one offers them what IT IS WORTH!

Get over yourself people, it's like a car, it doesn't matter if it is NIB, like a car, once it leaves the lot the value goes down.

SO ALL YOU THAT WENT OUT AND BOUGHT A LOAD OF AR's, HAHAHA just cause you took it in the pooper with total intentions of giving it to someone else in the pooper, I hope your stuck with it!!!:flamethrower:
    :+1:i agree with the over pricing and the part with the car:):

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    I think that the LowBallers are Used car salesmen trying to get someting for nothing, then resell it for top dollar.

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    I don't mind respectful bargaining. In fact, all you have to do is say no to any offer. I get PMs for stuff I have for sale, give a yay/nay and go on.

I'm pretty much on here as a hobby, and to meet folks. I don't need to make a bunch on my stuff, but I also want to be fair. I won't offer $10 dollars for a $200 dollar item, but I've offered less than asking price occasionally..

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    I have sold quite a few guns in the last year and while I didn't make a profit, I was able to sell some for what I had in them minus taxes. I usually price a gun about 10% over what I want (value is relative; what I want is not) so as to entertain lower offers. However, if someone "low balls" me, I don't get my panties in a bunch as I know how to say "No" and move on. Try it as it will lower the stress level. :dunno:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Wow! This thread has made 8 pages of good reading!! Thanks to all who have replied,I will again try listing a few item(s)!!!

Top Bottom