What is causing the downfall of our country?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    3 main facets of the same shiny gem-like turd:

people who won't take responsibility for their own actions
    people with no desire to make their lives better by their own actions--hence the welfare state mentality
    people who fear no repercussions for their unlawful actions against others

A lot of these people are the same in all 3 cases, and none of them do much to build up society rather than tear it down.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I agree with much that has been said, but would like to add one more thing. The lack of any meaningful dialogue between people with different viewpoints. Regardless of which side you want to blame for starting it or how far back it goes, politics is now just a world of shouting down your opponent. Anyone that disagrees with you must be an idiot. The result is that decent people don't even want to get involved anymore (or can't pass the ideological litmus tests), and we end up choosing between the lesser evils.

I suspect there is some validity to your theory, except that part of our problem is that "decent people" stopped paying attention, both to their government and to their children's educators. As a result, we have much more government than we need (but about as much as we deserve, I'm afraid) and people who patently hate the traditional American culture teaching several generations of our young people to hate it, too.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    On the nuclear family thing, I think there's a bit of romanticization about that. Dad's weren't around much because of work, often 12 hours a day. There was maybe a decade or so after WWII (maybe the entire Boomer generation childhood) where the idyllic 9 to 5 and still home for dinner and to play catch with Johnny, but for the vast majority of American history life was hard. Either agriculture-based or industrial, and either way work usually was more important than

This "breakdown of the nuclear family" thing is more a symptom of other cultural issues than a cause.

https://www.amazon.com/Way-We-Never-Were-Nostalgia/dp/0465090974?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Perhaps that is so, but if your theory (or the one you're quoting) is correct, why has the Democrat Party - and by extension, the Progressive Left - tried so hard since 1964 to destroy the nuclear family? I suspect that, as others have implied, the answer doesn't lie so much in the externals, but in the spirituality fostered by intact families (on the whole.)

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Perhaps that is so, but if your theory (or the one you're quoting) is correct, why has the Democrat Party - and by extension, the Progressive Left - tried so hard since 1964 to destroy the nuclear family? I suspect that, as others have implied, the answer doesn't lie so much in the externals, but in the spirituality fostered by intact families (on the whole.)

Because the left has always exploited our rights to undermine society and our country as a whole.

Anything that makes this country good and virtuous must be destroyed by them before they are satisfied. It goes along with their economic philosophy as well. Instead of propping up those who are struggling, they cut off the legs of those who are striving. A perverse version of marxism.

I don't really believe it has anything to do with spirituality. It just has to do with a deep seeded hate of anyone who is successful in life.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    On the nuclear family thing, I think there's a bit of romanticization about that. Dad's weren't around much because of work, often 12 hours a day. There was maybe a decade or so after WWII (maybe the entire Boomer generation childhood) where the idyllic 9 to 5 and still home for dinner and to play catch with Johnny, but for the vast majority of American history life was hard. Either agriculture-based or industrial, and either way work usually was more important than

This "breakdown of the nuclear family" thing is more a symptom of other cultural issues than a cause.

https://www.amazon.com/Way-We-Never-Were-Nostalgia/dp/0465090974?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

I would argue that the post-World War II anomaly isn't really relevant. There was a division of labor in the family, especially between husband and wife, that accounted for the man's necessary preoccupation with work. Specifically, the wives/mothers took primary responsibility for raising the children and that was their full time job. That translates into one responsible adult whose primary job is raising upright children. Children are NOT self-raising, and the leftists know that, and choose to make it necessary that both parents are taken away from the children one way or another such as to create a vacuum that they can fill themselves, and therefore afford themselves the opportunity to hijack our culture. Unfortunately, they appear to have proven their tactics sound and effective as evidenced by the present state of our culture.

At the end of the day, the effective nuclear family is not about living in the 50's with dad camped on the kids right along with mom, it's about seeing that one parent has the time one way or another such that the children are not left to their own devices.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would argue that the post-World War II anomaly isn't really relevant. There was a division of labor in the family, especially between husband and wife, that accounted for the man's necessary preoccupation with work. Specifically, the wives/mothers took primary responsibility for raising the children and that was their full time job. That translates into one responsible adult whose primary job is raising upright children. Children are NOT self-raising, and the leftists know that, and choose to make it necessary that both parents are taken away from the children one way or another such as to create a vacuum that they can fill themselves, and therefore afford themselves the opportunity to hijack our culture. Unfortunately, they appear to have proven their tactics sound and effective as evidenced by the present state of our culture.

At the end of the day, the effective nuclear family is not about living in the 50's with dad camped on the kids right along with mom, it's about seeing that one parent has the time one way or another such that the children are not left to their own devices.

I have observed that kids raised by a full time mom at least until they start school seem to do better. Better is a broad term but just go with that for now.

I was raised in the 50's by a "Nuclear" family. Dad was a workaholic as so many were and mom stayed home briefly before she went to work.
    There was some stability in the 2 parent home that is not there in a one parent situation. Not saying some folks are not up to the task and fail at this but just knowing that when Mom said and I quote......."You just wait till your Dad gets home". That was always enough to get us back on course.

Nothing is perfect. Anything can and often does fail when life comes to kick your butt.
    Being a successful parent is the absolute hardest and most serious undertaking anyone can enter into. So many these days are not even close to being actual parents. Your kids are not your friends until they get out into the world and are pulling their own weight. This is a hard fact.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Sometimes I wonder if every society doesn't just have a shelf-life. I'm not a big history buff, but it seems that great cultures of the past started out at a point where people lived and worked, first just to survive, then as resources and the population grows, all work goes toward building the infrastructure to feed, house and protect the people. Continued growth allows people to further prosper as the added resources allow more and better infrastructure.

But, there seems to be a point, where resources are so plentiful that a shift occurs where more and more resources are used not for food, housing, or protection, but for things like temples, palaces, churches, art, science, and other things that aren't necessarily required to ensure continued survival. Divisions of labor and class evolve, with the infrastructure allowing fewer people to produce more food and goods, and a growing class of people whose existence is supported by others, but who don't add to production of food, goods, or necessary resources. Then, when the culture becomes top-heavy, and there are more people expending resources and fewer producing them, and add to that environmental factors like drought or changing climate then you can have a decline, be vulnerable to invaders, or sometimes a catastrophic crash.

Some cultures have lasted thousands of years, but my guess is that today's cultures might just be going through the same cycle, just faster due to technology. America might have had a "best by" date from the beginning.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Rome lasted a thousand years; no reason we shouldn't have been able to do the same.

Sure there is. :) Technology, for one. News spreads faster, and the world is functionally MUCH smaller than it was back then. An insurrection in Gaul wouldn't be known in Rome for days, maybe weeks. Months if it was actually successful.

Plus, people have changed. Different expectations from and for their governments, and for each other.

But, since you brought up Rome, what do you think caused the internal decay? ;)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Ass men that want to ride bicycles in the street.!

[video=youtube;VMnjF1O4eH0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0[/video]

[video=youtube;GugsCdLHm-Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GugsCdLHm-Q[/video]

Sorry mods...I had to delete the official video as it's chock full of naked limey chicks on bicycles...Yes it's on youtube...

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I think it's caused by 3 things:
    Nutella.png
    cffa56c1f3cbedd69e02e5f87c5b11b5_400x400.jpeg
    6C7943087-tdy-130619-capncrunch-12p.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Life is too easy for too many people. They've become lazy mentally and now prefer freedom from choice instead of freedom of choice.

That makes the majority an easy target for those who are acting according to Saul Alinsky's rules to push us into a situation where the government has become king, mother, and father and the people like it that way.

We're complacent frogs who were put in the room temperature water and loving it, but now the water is starting to boil and there aren't enough of use left who want to take the put off of the burner or even jump out of the water.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom