What is causing the downfall of our country?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I second reading this book. Many of you are posting things that are very close to the truth as Mr. Dalrymple tells it, but he tells it in a way that is far more well-defined than I could personally lay down. Certainly helped me refine my position and arguments.

A big part of it comes down to lack of personal responsibility, or rather the efforts of one part of society to free another part from having to take responsibility. (the liberal establishment of the welfare state)

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    People who value safety over freedom, which is the very root of the welfare state, statism in general, groupthink, and allt eh other myriad ills that afflict us as a nation.
    The social justice warriors are the living embodiment of this thinking, and they are the mafia enforcers of this ideology.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    The people.

Hard work, responsibility and wanting to do the right thing are dying more every day.

We can blame the government, the past, the color of our skin, our sex or what's going on halfway around the world but it all comes down to us.

Regardless of what happens I will work to get what I need and want. I will provide for my daughter. I will enjoy life with my family and friends.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'll go there------Some of it, I think is the moving away from religion. As we no longer govern ourselves from within, we have to have more external laws to govern our behavior. When our mindset becomes "if it's not illegal, then why can't I do it?" then others demand our legislators enact law after law, create felon after felon to prescribe what acceptable behavior is in various circumstances. The ugly little secret is you can't legislate morality---as is evident.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    A total lack of shame. Which goes hand in hand with what GFGT stated above. No one ever gets called out for bad behavior unless it is by the PC police. The truth is no longer valued. As long as "our side" wins it doesn't matter what tactics "we" use to get there.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I think this is a multi faceted issue that boils down to numerous causes. On one hand I want to say our corrupted/inept leaders. On another I want to say the selfish ineptitude of the masses. In realty it can't be so simple though because of the complex nature of a down falling nation and the debate as to whether that nation was truly "falling" or not.

I do see a trend though between more laws, luxuries, and laziness taking a simultaneous effect upon us with the growth of a welfare state. This seems to have created a mindset of entitlement in our leaders and general populous that appears to serve the notion of decline. Combine that with what the average person needs monetarily to survive compared to 20, 40, or even 60 years ago a lot of people I think have either given up hope, or are giving it up. Others never even cared to begin with.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I'll go there------Some of it, I think is the moving away from religion. As we no longer govern ourselves from within, we have to have more external laws to govern our behavior. When our mindset becomes "if it's not illegal, then why can't I do it?" then others demand our legislators enact law after law, create felon after felon to prescribe what acceptable behavior is in various circumstances. The ugly little secret is you can't legislate morality---as is evident.
    Agreed. I am reminded of the John Adams quote that our Constitution was only suitable for a religious and moral people... Sadly we are neither now.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I agree with much that has been said, but would like to add one more thing. The lack of any meaningful dialogue between people with different viewpoints. Regardless of which side you want to blame for starting it or how far back it goes, politics is now just a world of shouting down your opponent. Anyone that disagrees with you must be an idiot. The result is that decent people don't even want to get involved anymore (or can't pass the ideological litmus tests), and we end up choosing between the lesser evils.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Everything mentioned above and open borders with lack of assimilation. Noone respects America. That includes many "americans" seeking to tear it down from within.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I attribute it to the combination of the declining willingness to take responsibility for one's self coupled with the lack of moral self-governance already explored by GFGT. Everything else can be traced straight back to this.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Complacency.

We all have our satellite TV, our Ipads and our Internet Social Media for entertainment and a place to interact. Why bother risking all of that to change something that doesn't bother us that much?

Our ancestors had none of the comforts of modern living, when they earned something they EARNED it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Time.

All good things must come to an end.

There is an arc to greatness, and it always fades.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom