• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Whatever was in that drum won't wash out....so I'm cutting the top off and using it to collect scrap. Next time I'll get a used oil drum. A couple ounces of hydraulic oil shouldn't hurt 55 gallons of diesel. I looked into the PRI-G +PRI-D and they look good...will buy some soon.
    Had an interesting Saturday with the granddaughter. I asked her if she wanted to help me load shells...and after explaining what that meant...we spent a couple hours decapping .38 brass. She thinks I need another press so I can help her next time. I agree. Best part was not how much we got done , but that we had fun and she liked it. Can't wait till we get another chance to work together...and next spring when we get to shoot it up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nothing. Took a 2 week vacation and was so backed up with work I have been catching up all week.

I did get the rest of the gun tools I had back ordered. Totally set up to service/repair/modify my 1911's

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since last time I post I got some guys together and we worked with a team of guys who's been working together for years on firearms training. For my guys beign the noobs to training it was a real treat to watch people experienced with each other work as a team. It was nice to see they still have hiccups too, one ak part broke, one guys AR kept jamming, etc but they worked through it like a team as they should. Awesome opportunity to watch and learn

Worked on some fire making with fatwood, and some different feral rod techniques. I got excited about the fatwood when the local hardware had the $7 big boxes for sale for $3 each, so I bought a lifetime supply of those.

Had a serious heart to heart with myself about the virtues of my big heavy bolt action 223, when the 20" AR was nearly as accurate and could fill the same role, but do it in semi auto style. I laid down in the field while it was raining and shot through weeds to see what rifle was best. I was surprised because I'm not used to shooting through weeds and it sucks. I could barely see the target and it was a lot tougher than I remembered. I'll be selling the bolt 223 at some point probably, I hate to see it go, but that's $$ that could go towards body armor, night vision, or mountain house.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I remembered that I have a really nice backpack now (courtesy of my brother) and that I have not yet packed an updated emergency bag.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I ran the gauntlet of welfare zombies at Kroger to take advantage of some coupons I had, got lots of canned fruit, canned vegetables, and a few cases each of hormel chili and spaghetti-os.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Added canned goods, paper goods and five cases of MRE's to the list. Plan to take the MRE's to an off site area.

Finally canned the majority of the ammo I have purchased in the last two months. Part for here, part for off-site.

Trashed a house out and got some canning supplies, some cast iron cookware, a sausage grinder and a few other things that I didn't have or probably need.

Processed more wild pecans as well.

Added another gallon of water to my oldest's dorm room cache.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Had both the BOB's out last night while watching the colts get their butts pounded. Looking into doing something different with my system.
    Rotated battery's and food stuffs.
    Rotated ammo and hand guns.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Rearranged my truck toolbox. Added a game cart so I had to remove a couple bags. So, I went through all of them and inventoried them and then condenced them - needed items, "like to have" items, etc. I removed some of the things I could do without but would like to have with me to make room for those things (tent, cooking, firestarting, etc) that I always want to keep with me. (Yes, I had a lot of "junk" (comfort) items that I removed. I can do without them).

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Has anybody cooked the dried beans? I cooked some yesterday and totally f'ed them up. Lol Might be a good idea to get used to cooking them as well.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Picked up an Eaton FRX3 Emergency radio, a La Crosse 810-805 AM/FM/WB radio, few more boxes of 9mm and some throwing knives.

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    Got and played with my new camera. How is it prep related? I started a blog/youtube channel on all manner of stuff homesteading/preparedness/cooking/household/gun related. The video capability will help me get some youtube videos up. While it takes me a lot longer to do a task, I am incentivized to actually DO the tasks. I enjoy the creation that is getting the videos made and put up, I enjoy having to meet the deadlines (I have an internal deadline of at least twice a week content posting with at least a video per week as a goal). Plus, it'll get me to do even more preparedness type projects and spread the word. Plus, if I do enough of it, I may even make a couple dollars (my personal videos have netted me a whole $10 in about 3 years, but I haven't even cared to put something up that other people would even WANT to see, I was putting those up for family members). And, it also is kind of like a diary for my thoughts and transition to a homestead (that was my main reason for actually starting the BLOG was to chronicle over time getting out of the suburbs and starting a homestead).

(I am taking suggestions on some videos or blog posts to do ;-) )

As for beans, soak them overnight at least, or bring to a boil and then let soak for an hour or two, then cook. I recommend pressure cooking, once soaked you can have the beans cooked in an hour or so, compared to ALL day possibly otherwise.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    This week, I am working to start scanning all of our important documents into the computer so I can have digital copies of everything. Once I have a file with everything, I'm going to put them into an encrypted file to go on thumbdrives as the first part of my BOB's I'm going to start putting together. Other than that, this week has and is going to be about research.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Got and played with my new camera. How is it prep related? I started a blog/youtube channel on all manner of stuff homesteading/preparedness/cooking/household/gun related. The video capability will help me get some youtube videos up. While it takes me a lot longer to do a task, I am incentivized to actually DO the tasks. I enjoy the creation that is getting the videos made and put up, I enjoy having to meet the deadlines (I have an internal deadline of at least twice a week content posting with at least a video per week as a goal). Plus, it'll get me to do even more preparedness type projects and spread the word. Plus, if I do enough of it, I may even make a couple dollars (my personal videos have netted me a whole $10 in about 3 years, but I haven't even cared to put something up that other people would even WANT to see, I was putting those up for family members). And, it also is kind of like a diary for my thoughts and transition to a homestead (that was my main reason for actually starting the BLOG was to chronicle over time getting out of the suburbs and starting a homestead).

(I am taking suggestions on some videos or blog posts to do ;-) )

No offense, but you're not doing it right. WHERE is the link to your stuff?

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Its been a couple weeks since my last update, but the past two weeks pretty much all look the same.

Lots of full on, combat fitness, firearms training, sparring and rolling, bushcraft practice, reading and last on the list-getting stuff.

I focus most of my time and effort on keeping in a high state of physical readiness. Thats primary. I AM the weapons platform

Then I focus on skill building, maintaining what skills I have or learning new skills. So I train a lot on firearms, both marksmanship as well as team drills. I also train in the gym in combatives. I go to the woods and practice tracking, fire building, shelter construction, foraging etc. I always do timed "dryfire" parctice on tourniquets, and various battle dressings. I test my radio rigs. I read TMs and FMs. And yes, I practice my knots under water. The pressure of running out of air forces me to be fast doing and undoing knots and helps me fight the panic impulse of being underwater too long.

Lastly, I buy stuff. Food, fuel, ammo, etc. Thats pretty low on the list. Lots of guys get it backwards and buy lots of stuff and sit on their fat azzes watching Walking Dead and call it training.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom