Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I whole heatedly agree with your approach and us it myself. My wifes family was terribly anti-gun when I met her. They all want me to teach them now.

We use 3/16" steel plate as a example to show the differences in rounds and calibers. I have one I keep to show this. Steel core 5.56 blows straight through. .223 leaves nice dents and will beat the plate into a concave shape. We do the same thing with pistol's.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I whole heatedly agree with your approach and us it myself. My wifes family was terribly anti-gun when I met her. They all want me to teach them now.

We use 3/16" steel plate as a example to show the differences in rounds and calibers. I have one I keep to show this. Steel core 5.56 blows straight through. .223 leaves nice dents and will beat the plate into a concave shape. We do the same thing with pistol's.

There's really is some good real life education you can gain shooting steel targets. I took some guys the range once with a 30-30 and had them pay extra attention to the steel plates movement as it was hit at 100 yards. Then I got out my 30-06 using 220gr rounds and hit the same plate and had them watch again. The effect of the power and weight of bullets was pretty easy to see the differences and those guys ended up taking 30-06's on that bear hunt. The steel I've got in the backyard are the AR500 plates I bought from Wideners so even the 855 steel cores barely made a dent in them at 40 - 50 yards.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Chicken tractors are small mobile pens that you can move around the yard. It gives the chickens a new place to scratch each day without letting them roam all over the place.

tractor47.jpg

OK. Now it makes sense. I've been mulling the chicken idea and my ignorance shows.

Thanks blue.

Stocks

Rexmage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    Marshall Co
    Ahwell, I picked up some emergency straw filters. 2 little hand held walkie talkie radios. I've thought about trying to find some dichotomous earth so I could make a large scale water filtration system.

I'll go ahead and say it, I am envious of people who are able to have chickens. The city came a few years ago and forced me to get rid of mine.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Ahwell, I picked up some emergency straw filters. 2 little hand held walkie talkie radios. I've thought about trying to find some dichotomous earth so I could make a large scale water filtration system.

I'll go ahead and say it, I am envious of people who are able to have chickens. The city came a few years ago and forced me to get rid of mine.

Ace hardware sells food grade for the lowest price I have found.I know they stock it at the store on the south side of Greenwood on US 31.

Safer® Ant & Crawling Insect Killer with Diatomaceous Earth (51702) - Ready To Use Products - Ace Hardware

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    The National Resources Preparedness Order will be used to confiscate food stores, equipment, and if I understand it correctly, your family can be put to work. "They" would like to know where things are just in case they need them. A USDA rep came out to my farm awhile ago and asked a lot of questions. They called me for about a year wanting to know if I was storing small grain on my property, but I would not tell them, which gave them the answer anyway. Obama signed the National Resources Preparedness Order and then the Farm Census was sent out. I did not reply for the two they sent. Last week I was called by a USDA rep and was told I had to reply because it was the law and they would continue to contact me until I gave them the information. I consented and she asked the questions. All of the questions started with "Did you" because this was supposed to be a census for 2012. I answered more questions than she asked. I had explained why they wanted the information and she said she would check into the National Resources Preparedness Order. Then the only question that started with an "Are you" came at me. She knew how I felt about the census so she said "You probably don't want to answer this one, "Are you storing any type of small grain on your property?". She had asked me about animals and a lot about hay, but she didn't ask me if I was storing any hay. I said it was still not their business and I did not answer the question.

Sorry about the long story, but I'm trying to explain that "they" would like to know what we have stored. If you trust the government then the National Resources Preparedness Order probably makes sense to you; even putting you to work. If you don't trust them, then this new order just fits in with all of the rest of them.

They are taking inventory.

Agenda 21... look it up, then read Glenn becks book, very easy read.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    We found that sitting on a ladder helps, they don't look up for danger. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. AR with 22lr conversion kit, an aimpoint, NVG's and plenty of 22lr sss ammo.

I would fall asleep and off the latter....but maybe hubby could take a couple of vacation days after we see the first stalks down.

bhowell34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Greenwood
    I know its not much but I've been into gardening lately. I'm most excited about my blackberry and strawberry bushes. I also plan on planting a lot of vegetables this summer. Anything helps I guess. I just don't like spending hundreds of dollars a week on groceries

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As the wife is on the mend from surgery we will not be putting in a garden this season. She will not be up to the task and I am far to busy with work and other projects. I will be openly jealous and pouting when reading of your successes this year. The weather looks like it will be great.

Enjoy.

I will be begging for some tomatoes...............:D

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Added a second honey super to one of my bee hives yesterday. I'll need to add another one to my other hive soon as well. Shaping up to the best honey seasons I've had in years, and the clover hasn't even started to bloom yet.

Also I have turnips getting close, and we'll have our first picking of romaine lettuce today, along with spinach for our first big salad of the season.

Lot's of other stuff planted but not yet sprouted. I'm trying a new heirloom bean this year, a pole bean that you can pick as green beans or let them dry in the pods for soup beans. Dry beans can be stored for years.

bhowell34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Greenwood
    ha thanks its my first try at gardening. I've lived in apartments all my life and just now got a house. So no promises. I'm looking forward to it though

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Since I can't find ammo for my handguns and rifles, I decided to go with shotgun shells. I've been buying 4 boxes a week, but the last time I picked some up, I was told that the store now has a limit of 2 boxes of each SKU. So, I will vary the SKUs or shop more often. :D
    I will continue to look for the other ammo and snatch it up if I do find it. ;)

I also ordered 40 Constitution booklets from Cato Institute to hand out to the kids on my bus. I realize this may not be considered a SHTF prep, but I believe the kids (parents) need to at least have a chance to know the laws and their rights under the law. :patriot: The (bleep)ing government sure won't teach them about it correctly.:xmad: I just hope I get them in time to hand them out this year. If not, I'll hold them until next school year. ;)

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I also ordered 40 Constitution booklets from Cato Institute to hand out to the kids on my bus. I realize this may not be considered a SHTF prep, but I believe the kids (parents) need to at least have a chance to know the laws and their rights under the law. :patriot: The (bleep)ing government sure won't teach them about it correctly.:xmad: I just hope I get them in time to hand them out this year. If not, I'll hold them until next school year. ;)

I would be careful doing that. I'm not saying you shouldn't, but I can easily see this being taken the wrong way by someone. Which way would that be? Who knows.. but people will sue for anything nowadays.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I would be careful doing that. I'm not saying you shouldn't, but I can easily see this being taken the wrong way by someone. Which way would that be? Who knows.. but people will sue for anything nowadays.

If they "take it the wrong way", that would show me who & what they are and I wouldn't waste any more of my time on them. And they would deserve what they get from this criminal government. I won't feel sorry for them.

But, I will still do what I think is right. God bless America! :patriot:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Did a little work on the backyard range and finally got the steel plates hung up with chains. Did a bunch of dirt work with a little bobcat. Spent a bunch of time wtih my neighbors and built stronger relationships there.

Inspected the over 150 trees that I've planted since Feb and they're making me proud. I've only found a few that have died so far. One was snapped in half (I assume a deer) and the other two just didn't quite make it. The fruit trees are going strong and while I wasn't expecting anything this year there is going to be some cherries. I got lucky because this has been a perfect year to plant trees with all the rain. With any luck the rest of the trees will make it through the year and be that much more established.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Checked the grain garden ...oats are up..buckwheat looks good..will check the corn Monday.
    Started a new manure pile....hope by getting an early start we can compost by spring. Getting seriously interested in Geo thermal furnace...cost up front is a hindrance.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Checked the grain garden ...oats are up..buckwheat looks good..will check the corn Monday.
    Started a new manure pile....hope by getting an early start we can compost by spring. Getting seriously interested in Geo thermal furnace...cost up front is a hindrance.

If you do the closed loop in-ground the cost to operate is stupid low. The heat side has a constant 50 to 55 degrees to use (instead of outside air temps the could drop below 30 and stay) and the A/C has the same temp to condense with. The cooling operation is not hindered by 90 + deg days that hinder efficiency. With these operating conditions the unit will live longer than a standard system.
    Install cost is high but pay back on energy and longevity of the system is a real plus.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom