• Status
    Not open for further replies.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    We took possession of our new house and property this week. Looked at the status of the pond and all of the fruit trees and the nut trees. Can't wait to put out the garden.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Bought some additional shelving to store preps. Bought 50 lbs of rice, 10 8 gallon water containers, ordered my Sawyer Point Zero Two, bought some inexpensive led flashlights with batteries 3 for $4.00. Working on building a First in First out shelf for canned goods. Gotta make it simple for the wife, or she just wont do it! lol

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Working on getting pre-approval for a home loan. We got a nice few acres out in the country picked out. Good line of sight for the surrounding area, and limited access.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This week we took stock of everything. Food, water, meds and first aid supply's, propane, ammo, fuel, you name it. Wife is not 100% as yet but she is back in the saddle and steering the boat again.
    She rotated out all the formula and baby supply's for the twins. Re-stocking this week.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I found a rig on Sportsman's Guide that allows you to refill the small propane bottles from 30# or 40# tanks. Haven't tried it yet but it got good reviews. Very cost effective, IMO.

We have one of these and have used it.It will allow you to refill the 1lb tanks to around 70-80% full.It works pretty well,but does take a bit of getting used to.Holding a large tank upside down while filling a smaller one takes some practice.We learned pretty quickly standing there trying to do it is a bad idea.

How we refill tanks now.Place the adapter on the large tank.Turn it upside down and place it on one of the corners of our deck.Then attach a smaller tank and open the valve.After your small tank is full close the main valve and remove the smaller tank.Repeat with any other tanks you want to fill.The fuller your large tank the faster the fill.Never try to fill tanks indoors.You will set off pop off valves or on a rare occasion the valve on the smaller tank will not close again and the propane you just put in it will all leak out(get rid of any tank that does this).

I was also looking for a better way to do this,and found this on How To http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-completely-refill-a-1lb-disposable-propan/step4/null/ I have not tried it yet,but it looks promising.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have one of these and have used it.It will allow you to refill the 1lb tanks to around 70-80% full.It works pretty well,but does take a bit of getting used to.Holding a large tank upside down while filling a smaller one takes some practice.We learned pretty quickly standing there trying to do it is a bad idea.

How we refill tanks now.Place the adapter on the large tank.Turn it upside down and place it on one of the corners of our deck.Then attach a smaller tank and open the valve.After your small tank is full close the main valve and remove the smaller tank.Repeat with any other tanks you want to fill.The fuller your large tank the faster the fill.Never try to fill tanks indoors.You will set off pop off valves or on a rare occasion the valve on the smaller tank will not close again and the propane you just put in it will all leak out(get rid of any tank that does this).

If you chill the small cans before filling them it will let you put a full pound in them. Be careful not to overfill.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Restocked my bug poison stash. Concentrate for outdoor sprayers, fogger cans for inside, concentrate and fuel for handheld outdoor fogger, granules for lawn spreader. Weed and grass killer concentrate, keeps plants away from house, means less bugs in house. Two years worth of each.

Added a new layer to test, Thermacell devices. It is just so bad here this year, we need it.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Never try to fill tanks indoors.You will set off pop off valves or on a rare occasion the valve on the smaller tank will not close again and the propane you just put in it will all leak out(get rid of any tank that does this).
    HUGE +1 also don't do it in the garage or shed. Years back I found the cheaper brands of 1lb tanks failed more often. Chilling them does help too.

I am a fanatic about owning my own 5gal tanks, if you do the exchange tanks NEVER store them in your garage. I don't even like to keep my own in a garage. Last year during a hurricane one of the exchange tanks my Bro bought leaked all of its contents in the detached garage during the storm. He had rolled the BBQ into the garage prior to the storm. Had just connected a fresh tank, tested it then put it away. In a hurricane, propane grills are a layer of your preps. Prior to that, last year we had two exchange tanks leak shortly after bringing them home (my GF has 2 so we use them for the BBQ only). At some point I will try to score some new tanks on exchange then take for refill at the hardware store instead and get those two out of rotation with the exchange services.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Last night I reviewed the handgun's lockbox location and how to access the gun. Now that she's been properly introduced to firearms she actually wants to know where the guns are instead of me trying to tell her and her not listening. Still working on an AAR of the training we went through.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How do you know when they're full?

The instructions say fill for one minute.

I have a digital scale for charging small refrigeration units that are charge critical. It measures in the tenths of an ounce. I put the #30 bottle on the scale, drop the small bottle into ice water to chill and fill until the big bottle looses #1.
    Weigh the little bottle again to be sure. If you have the gear it is easy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom