0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Received my 72 hour kit from efoods yesterday. 4 servings each of:

Cheesy Chicken Rice
    Creamy Potato Soup
    Vegetable Beef Stew
    Tortilla Soup

Ordered it through The Marketplace (by the Blaze) for just under $25.oo (includes tax and shipping)

I LOVE the Cheesy Chicken Rice! :rockwoot:

Also, got the shelving hardware to add shelves to a metal wardrobe I got at an auction a couple weeks ago.

SpecWar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Cleaned off the back porch, filled 4, 6gal gas cans with premium gas and treated all containers, got out the snow shovels and cleaned them up. Fired up the generator and checked the oil and topped off the gas tank. Looking to order some MRE items off the internet along with some MH food and other freeze dried items. Cleaned out the truck beds of useless items and got some new plastic storage boxes to keep stuff dry. Serviced the Hummer H2 getting it ready for winter. Ordered some Z-Fold Combat Gauze off of another forum. Packing and repacking GHB for winter ops. Taking a look at my weapons inventory to see if I can sell some of my weapons/tools that I am not using to put some cash towards other preps. Paid all my bills this month including credit card, no balance anywhere. Just made a run to Sam’s Club this past week; stocked up on can goods, spices, TP, some shampoo, soap, vitamins, first aid, etc.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Used to heat mine on my old 19" CRT monitor at work, year ago. Just sat the can on top when I got in, and it was darn toasty by lunch!

I started re-packing the car bags for winter. Wool socks, warmer spare clothes, blankets, and rotated out the food and water for fresh stuff.

I do the same with my soups at work.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Put my "Cold Weather" kit back in my vehicle. I normally keep a 72 hour/get home bag in there but in the winter time, depending on the SHFT situation, I'm staying with the vehicle as long a possible so I though should put a few extra items in there.

DSC01109.jpg

In addition to the pic, I keep six blankets, 2 gallons of of water and some hot hands in there all year round.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Put my "Cold Weather" kit back in my vehicle. I normally keep a 72 hour/get home bag in there but in the winter time, depending on the SHFT situation, I'm staying with the vehicle as long a possible so I though should put a few extra items in there.

DSC01109.jpg

In addition to the pic, I keep six blankets, 2 gallons of of water and some hot hands in there all year round.

I would also add Mylar blankets...crank cellphone charger/flashlight/radio combo and a whistle. You might also want to add a deck of cards. or a book... boredom causes people to do stupid thing and makes it feel like time is crawling.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I just had a very serious talk with a family member about this subject. He's living in jersey and has no food, heat, power or water. He's pissed that he doesn't have these things and posted it on his FB status. He's got 2 $10k motorcycles in the garage, a new truck and the nicest clothes money can buy. Entitled to everything evidently. I told him to spend 10 bucks a week for the next 6 months on propane tanks, water, storage food, a kerosene heater and fuel. He got all pissy and said he's not some nutter waiting for the end of the world. He didn't like my answer, "no, you're not, those people are warm, dry, well fed and helping their neighbors who didn't prepare."

The only thing I hate more than a person who wont prepare is a person who lies about it.

I have a brother-in-law who has no care for prepping at all. He lives in the middle of a big woods. Pretty much out of sight from the road. Has a newer home, out buildings, wood boiler and two wood stoves that would be great as back-ups. He doesn't think anything bad could ever happen and if it did the government will take care of it before he gets cold and hungry.

This summer I tricked him into taking a food grade 275 gallon tote so he could fill it for his garden. He tricked me by leaving it down at the garden empty now that growing is over.

Did what I could. Can't convince him. My sister is a little more on board, but she follows him. Would have made a great BOL. Was on the books as that, but not now.

Then there are the posers. People that talk but aren't really up to speed with what they say. I don't want to be a guru because then I might stop trying to learn. These self-appointed experts that don't really know much are worse for the cause than the non-believers.

Some people will see a million post count under a guy's belt and assume he is legit. Then when he spews his crap they follow it like doctrine. Now people are trying to prep and going about it all wrong.

It is sad.

After a while it becomes funny to read what the posers put out. You can see that they are almost copying verbatim what someone else said, or they talk in circles. One post they say how great something is, next they say how bad the same thing is. Then it starts to tick you off when they make statements based on nothing but worthless opinion yet try and make it out as fact.

I am not as in depth with my prepping as some are. I still have multiple calibers because I like firearms. I no longer have a garden because of time constraints with my old job. I don't have an out of state BOL with a group of hard core like minded preppers. But I do have provisions both on and off site. I do have knowledge. I have back up plans. I have buy-in with the spouse. My kids know more than they realize. Most importantly I know that I am being honest and doing the best that I can.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Filled 2-30 lb rv propane tanks and a 20 lb grill tank. Got another 5 gal. gas can and filled it. Still trying to find a water filter system to suit me. Several may be required, I think, to get water to my drinking standards. Picked up 8 food grade buckets, free, from Wal-Mart! Now to get more stuff too fil 'em!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I ordered one of these water filters to build a filtration system using food grade 5 gallon buckets. Also ordered deerskins into buckskins to try my hand at tanning a hide naturally.
    I haven't tried my hand at it yet, but have done quite a bit of research on the topic of brain tanning. Here are a couple good links you may find useful. Let me know how it goes once you give it a try;)
    http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_l/l-103.pdf
    Brain Tanning Furs by George Michaud
    Tanning Leather
    I have saved and printed the instructions from these links as well as a few others for reference purposes, but really should give it a go before I actually need the skill. My favorite quote from one of the links is "Oddly enough each animal has just enough brains to tan its own hide.".

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Purchased a manual fuel transfer pump

I bought one that can be run by a drill. Don't know how long it would hold up to fuel, but i had planned mostly to use it for water. Might get another to use strictly for fuel. I have several, hand crank, old fashioned drills as a backup that the kids can crank! LOL

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    I finally ordered a whole house, natural gas back-up generator. Still have a smaller, portable generator if needed to take along or to run on gas, but it'll be nice not to have to worry about hooking up or how old my gas is if the power goes out.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I finally ordered a whole house, natural gas back-up generator. Still have a smaller, portable generator if needed to take along or to run on gas, but it'll be nice not to have to worry about hooking up or how old my gas is if the power goes out.

I was interested in getting one of these. Please let us know how it works for you. We have only lost gas util once here in thirteen years, but have lost electric more than I can count.

BOAA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bought a few new handguns, an 870 and a 10/22. Lots of ammo! Filled two 40# and 4 25# propane tanks, bought the adapter to run lights/stove off of big tanks and an adapter to refill the 1# bottles, traded for some mess kits. Ready to plant new garden this spring, and working on water storage. Also built storage racks in the garage for non parishables, water and other items.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Goodwill Outlet
    That place ROCKS. You pay by the pound. My wife got a $500+ designer purse (the real deal) there for less than a dollar! It may sound weird but it probably made me happier than it made her. It feels good when she feels good. Even better when it was cheap;) The same trip I found a soft case that my CX4 and it's factory hard case fit in perfectly. Not sure what it was originally for, but I re-purposed it proper-like:rockwoot:.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom