• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    I built some heavy duty shelving sized to the totes I use for preps. Much easier getting to totes now and organizing, as they were stacked before. Next job is to better organize, inventory and date items for replacement.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Doubled our shelving space for food from 1 to 2. Filled it to capacity with some great deals that the wife scored. Still beginning but well better off than where we were 6 months ago when we had zero preps.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Winterized the trailer. Moved a lot of food from it to the house. Stored the dry food that we ordered last week. More dried eggs and such.

I loaded about two hundred rounds of 243 for storage.

I have to test the generator yet and pick up some gas. Prepping is never dun.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Finished my BOB( HA! As we all know, a BOB is never finished. I'm always adding something). I also printed off, laminated, and organized my routes home from places that I could be on any given day. I plan on getting my ammo count up in the upcoming months as my next big step. I only have two calibers, so it shouldn't be that hard.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    OK, not this past week, but here's one I did some time ago. It never occurred to me to list this item here until the last couple of days. Reason for this is the second big storm preparing to hit the eastern states, while many people are still without power and heat from Hurricane Sandy, this is a major concern for folks simply trying to keep warm.

A few years back I put in a woodburning stove. I admit that I mainly did it for aesthetic reasons. I like the way they look, I like the warmth, the coziness, etc.. But the practical side of the woodburner is that I could continue to heat my house if an extended power outage occurred during the winter.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I heat with a barrel stove and use LP as backup only....I started a new project today in an attempt to squeeze more efficiency out of it. My plan is to put a 30gal drum inside a 55gal drum and use the 30 as a fire box with a blower on the 55 as a heat exchanger. I measured and cut the lid of the 55 to fit the 30 and began welding it to the 30. Unfortunately my welder only has two settings and I have little skill. Even on low it is more like burning holes than like welding:) Seems I'm going to have to do some patching! When complete I suspect I will burn less wood with the smaller fire box and get more heat with a blower forcing it out of the "heat exchanger".
    barrel1.jpg

barrel4.jpg

barrel2.jpg

barrel3.jpg

Next project after this one is finished and tested will be to coil some copper tubing around the 30gal(firebox) inside the 55gal(heat exchanger) and attempt to use the system for heating water.

Last edited:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Winterized my vehicle's BOB and added a mummy bag good to -20F in the trunk. Found some Duracell AA on sale at meijer and put them in the BOB to supply the flashlight as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Winterized my vehicle's BOB and added a mummy bag good to -20F in the trunk. Found some Duracell AA on sale at meijer and put them in the BOB to supply the flashlight as well.

This reminds me, I have to winterize my gear and do the battery rotation. I take the batts. from the lights in the BOB and related gear and rotate them into the remotes and toys. Fresh for the emergency lights. Also need to up-date the batts. for the propane catalytic heater.

tacmedic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ceramic Crock

Have been looking for a large ceramic crock that has not been glazed for a high capacity drip water filter. Picked up some 762x39, and started working on "cut" shells made with walmart bulk bird shot and parafin wax. I bought a diesel truck recently.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Finished insulating the bug-in room. Have a heat duct run to it but will make it better later. Also plan to bring a wood stove I got with a new house and make a window insert so I can use it if a long term outage occurs.

Added new sights to a .22 pistol. Test fired about 200 rounds.

Rotated mutt food. Added more canned soups to down stairs preps. Bought a couple hide-a-key boxes for placing around the grounds.

Considering the new house acquisition as a temporary BOL. Already took some food and an extra firearm there. On other side of county, so might be a good idea for a while at least.

Have another 55 gallon drum to clean out for the basement. Non-potable water storage.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I'm almost finished with my winter BOB for my car. I'll get a chance to test it out this Saturday at WETSU's wilderness survival class.

Hajisc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   1
    Oct 11, 2012
    Westville,In.
    Wife and I went to info seminar at cabelas last Sunday put on by thrive foods. They had a taste testing and gave info on their product line. Very informative and tasted pretty good too. They specialize in freeze dried foods. I plan on adding to my food supply using their products, should round out my MRE's and other foodstuffs nicely.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm still trying to get through to some family members about stocking up basic survival items. With the NYC problems on the face of the news I think I'm making progress.
    I have been putting up more canned goods and firewood just in case.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Unfortunately I have gotten into prepping a little too late, but better late than never. Today I went and got a frame for my alice pack along with a new kidney strap for it. On top of that, I made some Vaseline infused cotton balls for starting fires. I re-rolled some duck tape on some old pen tubes and put them on some 550 cord lanyards. I went to Indy Self Defense and got two Maintstay 3600 calorie packs, one for my bag and one for the other half's bag. Overall I think it was a good prepping day. Looking forward to finishing up my two bags soon and starting to store away other necessities in the near future.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom