• Status
    Not open for further replies.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    +Meister for field testing preps! Good thread about the changes of temps and you are so right about the antacid. Small things, small probs, some uncomfortable sleep.
    Add a poncho liner(surplus from US Army), and your other suggestions and you will fly well through the night. Got my liner from ebay and it has saved me many a cool/cold sleep. They also compress to store and teamed with a decent sleeping bag... Ahhh.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Saw some activity at your place Sunday morning. Were you putting in the flu???

Yes, we have eyes everywhere..............................;)

Yeah, we had the bottom half done but needed to finish up the top half, traded the work out with a local fireplace installer. Nothing like sharpening bartering skills before you need them :). Barrel stove works great, possibly to good!

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Old Boyscout truck...always wear dry socks to bed while camping. Sweaty socks will super
    cool your feet.

Thanks! I do keep 2 extra pairs in the bag. One heavy poly and another light cotton, these where what I wore. I packed my favorite wool socks for the night use but no joy! At least I had the 2 extra sets in the bag as backup.

+Meister for field testing preps! Good thread about the changes of temps and you are so right about the antacid. Small things, small probs, some uncomfortable sleep.
    Add a poncho liner(surplus from US Army), and your other suggestions and you will fly well through the night. Got my liner from ebay and it has saved me many a cool/cold sleep. They also compress to store and teamed with a decent sleeping bag... Ahhh.

I do have a tarp and liner in the bag but I was afraid of condensation. I have found a decently priced 0 degree mummy since the wife and son have claimed the first two I purchased. After a really bad night in a tarp bivy, I'll never do that again. Cold and wet!

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Continued setting up my online store. I imagine I'll put up the money soon so I can advertise on here. I got about 30 more basic items to put up, but most of the kits and food storage options are on there already from my supply chain. I've focused on the wise food storage options and I'm looking at getting providence pantry and others to supplement. The idea is to use the business as one means of stocking up for my family and others at the same time. Each time we get an item in for the family, we'll do field testing and see how they hold up, post videos and reviews. With hurricane Sandy leaving millions without heat or electricity, I think there'll be a bigger market soon for the average person that wants to be a little more prepared.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    It's been 4 weeks since I lost my job. The only groceries my wife has purchased have been a couple of gallons of milk. A friend gave us 2 dozen eggs. Other than that we've been eating what we had on hand and we really haven't put much of a dent in it. We have not had to get into the preps yet, but I'm glad we have them if needed.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    It's been 4 weeks since I lost my job. The only groceries my wife has purchased have been a couple of gallons of milk. A friend gave us 2 dozen eggs. Other than that we've been eating what we had on hand and we really haven't put much of a dent in it. We have not had to get into the preps yet, but I'm glad we have them if needed.

That's great that you have been prepared. What line of work?

We tried some Bear Creek instant meals. Beef stroganoff and creamy herb pasta, the pasta was ok, the stroganoff, not so much. Still trying to find a cheap alternative to mountain house for storage and consumption. Most instant meals have a 1-2 year shelf life so they go in the short term buckets.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Continued setting up my online store. I imagine I'll put up the money soon so I can advertise on here. I got about 30 more basic items to put up, but most of the kits and food storage options are on there already from my supply chain. I've focused on the wise food storage options and I'm looking at getting providence pantry and others to supplement. The idea is to use the business as one means of stocking up for my family and others at the same time. Each time we get an item in for the family, we'll do field testing and see how they hold up, post videos and reviews. With hurricane Sandy leaving millions without heat or electricity, I think there'll be a bigger market soon for the average person that wants to be a little more prepared.

You should be come a Shelf Reliance consultant and put a link on your online store....You will be able to offer freeze dried food, water storage and just about everything for a BOB and other survival Gear...go to www.bugoutstore.com PM me with any questions you may have.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon

That is one reason to be prepared.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    That's great that you have been prepared. What line of work?

We tried some Bear Creek instant meals. Beef stroganoff and creamy herb pasta, the pasta was ok, the stroganoff, not so much. Still trying to find a cheap alternative to mountain house for storage and consumption. Most instant meals have a 1-2 year shelf life so they go in the short term buckets.

Here's my website...most of our stuff is cheaper than mountain house...you can get a lot of free stuff and different things go on sale every month. But if you get on the Q a delivery every month you get a discount as well. The minimum you have to spend to get on it is 50 bucks a month. Hopefully my sub-forum will be up soon.

Tresia Thompson - Online Store

Last edited:

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    You should be come a Shelf Reliance consultant and put a link on your online store....You will be able to offer freeze dried food, water storage and just about everything for a BOB and other survival Gear...go to www.bugoutstore.com PM me with any questions you may have.

This seems more like an Avon lady of prepper gear. Not a bad business model, just not sure it's for me.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Here's my website...most of our stuff is cheaper than mountain house...you can get a lot of free stuff and different things go on sale every month. But if you get on the Q a delivery every month you get a discount as well. The minimum you have to spend to get on it is 50 bucks a month. Hopefully my sub-forum will be up soon.

Tresia Thompson - Online Store

I've never tried the thrive brand foods. Wise and Mountain house are the only names I've used and I can only eat about half what they offer. Everything we prep is also used in our regular diet to make sure it suits the family.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've never tried the thrive brand foods. Wise and Mountain house are the only names I've used and I can only eat about half what they offer. Everything we prep is also used in our regular diet to make sure it suits the family.

EXACTLY . . . store what you eat & eat what you store :rockwoot:

I'm not at all a fan of the freeze dried/dehydrated stuff. Its generally unappetizing and most people don't know how to prepare it properly. You are better off stocking up on canned goods that you can simply rotate into your regular pantry stock. Best off if you also can your own food, grown in your own garden (or even bought bulk). Its how our grandparents/great grandparents survived through the Great Depression. It works.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood

I'm not at all a fan of the freeze dried/dehydrated stuff. Its generally unappetizing and most people don't know how to prepare it properly. You are better off stocking up on canned goods that you can simply rotate into your regular pantry stock. Best off if you also can your own food, grown in your own garden (or even bought bulk). Its how our grandparents/great grandparents survived through the Great Depression. It works.

Canning is next years project. Still have all the canning gear from when I was a kid and we canned to survive. We plan to dust it off in the late summer when the extended garden comes in.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Been re-organizing everything to make better use of the space available. Our gear and preps where everywhere as was the gun gear. Had to look for everything all the time. Not any more. All the gun gear is in one area as are the BOB and related gear. The preps are more easily gotten to and used in rotation now. Making room to start canning soon.
    As a result of this we have built 2 more AR's from all the parts and pieces we have pulled together from years of swapping and personalizing our guns. We found 2 boxes of parts and 2 weeks later I found more. Had to spend some dough to get all the bits we did not have but the end result is most cool. Shotguns got some cool bits as well. Getting old sucks. Tend to loose to much stuff.
    Now, where did I put all those extra 1911 bits................:dunno:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

We stock up on what we eat, but we also stock up on stuff that lasts longer. Just in case something happens that stops all the others from being viable.

We have MRE's as well as a few freeze dried items. This way if we must depend on stuff it is there. Same thing with the buckets of rice, beans, wheat etc.

We don't grind our own wheat just yet, but if it came down to it maybe we could get by a little longer with the non-ordinary stores until we could get a garden of sorts going.

We have loads of canned or bagged goods in the stores right now. We rotate often so we always have that extra time. Seeds are not plentiful but more are added often.

I agree with you completely about eating what you store and storing what you eat. Just seems some people are not at the stage where they can do that. Either from lack of space or lack of knowledge.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom