• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I have an item you may be interested in. I got them off line. The military use these for heat and they are not unlike Sterno but in a packet about the size of a jelly pack in a restaurant. The burn intensely for a good while and I have started fires with them. I have a "Butt" load of these.
    Is it tri-oxane?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    3 Miles per Hour

I took the two oldest boys on a country road walk today. My goal was to see how far we would get in 1 hour. I had no idea what to expect as I've never done any research on this. We only wore coats and I had a fanny pack with water, granola bars & firearm. This is our first effort at bug out.

The hour went by pretty quickly because 10 & 11 year olds will talk nonstop, at least mine do. One topic: are horses or oxen better for pulling a cart and why (not my topic, it was their's). My wife came and picked us up after the hour; we covered 3 miles. Afterwards, the boys said they didn't have a problem covering the distance at all. They believed they could ride their bicycles with a 25 lb backpack and cover much more distance.

So, if you're walking country roads in favorable weather, 30 miles a day would be a reasonable expectation?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I took the two oldest boys on a country road walk today. My goal was to see how far we would get in 1 hour. I had no idea what to expect as I've never done any research on this. We only wore coats and I had a fanny pack with water, granola bars & firearm. This is our first effort at bug out.

The hour went by pretty quickly because 10 & 11 year olds will talk nonstop, at least mine do. One topic: are horses or oxen better for pulling a cart and why (not my topic, it was their's). My wife came and picked us up after the hour; we covered 3 miles. Afterwards, the boys said they didn't have a problem covering the distance at all. They believed they could ride their bicycles with a 25 lb backpack and cover much more distance.

So, if you're walking country roads in favorable weather, 30 miles a day would be a reasonable expectation?

Those youngsters would hit a burn out point about 10 miles into your 30 mile projection. Keep that in mind.
    2 adults could do that but the kids , maybe not.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Good observation, ChurchMouse. We have four kiddos and those were the oldest two. We are trying to estimate a reasonable time frame for getting to our secondary bug out location. I think with all the kids on foot we are looking at two hard days. IndyJohn is a bit more optimistic but that plan requires the adults and oldest boys carrying more. Right now I am just content to have them wrapping their little heads around SHTF scenarios and being willing to try different routines. It was funny to hear them talking about footwear choices and coat versus sweatshirt, etc... I am grateful they are thinking thru it with a scientific approach. We will see what happens as the weather warms up and they build endurance, we still gotta get the little ones going but that takes a bit more nudging.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The reserves that kids run on are limited. Adults can push through these barriers but kids start to fade. Energy bars and fluids. Great that the kids are involved. If for no other reason than being outside and doing something physical. Bravo..

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    The reserves that kids run on are limited. Adults can push through these barriers but kids start to fade. Energy bars and fluids. Great that the kids are involved. If for no other reason than being outside and doing something physical. Bravo..

actually kids would be better off than a out of shape adult imo. they are young and recover faster and will do what they are told. adults who are out of shape take a lot longer to recover and will just plain quit, give up as no one can tell them anything. thats why folks should make sure they are in shape and walking. condition your body now while you can not when it's to late.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

The hour went by pretty quickly because 10 & 11 year olds will talk nonstop, at least mine do. One topic: are horses or oxen better for pulling a cart and why (not my topic, it was their's). My wife came and picked us up after the hour; we covered 3 miles.
    Good Job!

Afterwards, the boys said they didn't have a problem covering the distance at all. They believed they could ride their bicycles with a 25 lb backpack and cover much more distance.
    LOL...
    The enthusiasm of Youth...
    I bet they would be able to cover about 6-8 miles before they hit the wall of their stamina with 25 pound pack and a bicycle....
    I would be surprised if they would break 10 miles. Adding Packs will decrease that without a lot of weight as well. Careful with Pack weights as well, for max effectiveness you really should not exceed the 25% mark (of the body-weight of the Carrier). Although you can go to 50% for short durations....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    actually kids would be better off than a out of shape adult imo. they are young and recover faster and will do what they are told. adults who are out of shape take a lot longer to recover and will just plain quit, give up as no one can tell them anything. thats why folks should make sure they are in shape and walking. condition your body now while you can not when it's to late.

I guess you never humped with the cub scouts. They are a good group of kids but they (just as you stated with adults) hit the wall. It varies with individuals.
    Good points made here.
    Keep the kids involved.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    A 3mph pace isnt bad with a pack but maintaining it as a group is actually easier. Last summer I was preparing for a back country hike with a group of friends and we gras trail hiked 4 days a week sometimes up to 10 milesat a time and we got towhere we could maintain 4mph for up to our max distance. Oh and this was with a 25lb pack.

I have since upped my pack weight to around 40lbs and will be moving it up to 60 during this summer because the heavier i can go, faster, and further the better off I will be. Oh and Saturday I did a 7 mile on grass with my 40lb pack just so I could tune the suspension and balance of weight. It's a new pack so thats always important, plus weight distribution and balance always play major roles in comfort and fatigue.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Today, more ammo, fuel, cleaning supply's for the firearms. Looked at MRE's at Bradis. They seem a bit spendy.
    Wife went shopping for trail mix, canned goods, freeze dried soups and flats of water.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Thanks to all for the comments and input; we will make some adjustments and see how it goes. Rep to Jeremy for education - didn't know the 25% guideline.

Today I started another 100 round batch to reload and OkieGirl added to the First Aid kit.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    That's right, fatten her up. They cook and taste better with a bit of marbling;)

Yeah this ones almost ripe for the taking!

Obese-cat.jpg

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Bought socks...lots of socks (thick Browning Poly/Merino/Lycra) for $2 a pair on clearance at Rural King...did some planning for projects and training needed.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Bought socks...lots of socks (thick Browning Poly/Merino/Lycra) for $2 a pair on clearance at Rural King...did some planning for projects and training needed.
    I did the same thing a couple weeks ago at Meijer. They had their Dickies winter socks on Clearance at 50% off, with an additional 50% off with their eCoupon. Needless to say, I had to get a bigger box to store them in.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom