Not open for further replies.

dodmarti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    kinda new to prepping

I have been a "lite" prepper for a while now. I have enough food, water and other supplies to last at least a week without access to our modern infrastructure. I guess my question is how does one go from being prepared for short term to long term survival scenario? it seems to me that there is a big jump in terms of knowledge and equipment to make such a transition.

Thanks for any advice.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    we just recently bought a house and do not have much of anything for preps due to prior living situations. but i cleared out some space down in the basement for room to start worrking on our food supply.

jake

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I have been a "lite" prepper for a while now. I have enough food, water and other supplies to last at least a week without access to our modern infrastructure. I guess my question is how does one go from being prepared for short term to long term survival scenario? it seems to me that there is a big jump in terms of knowledge and equipment to make such a transition.

Thanks for any advice.

Prepping isn't just 'things'. It is also a state of mind. There are many people who have survived serious situations with very few preps because they possessed the 'will to live', whereas there are those who didn't make it, despite having all the needed tools available.

From the sound of it, having a weeks worth of food is a good start because you know why you have it and how to use it. Keep building on what you have. Prepare your larder as well as your mind.

Survivalblog.com is a good place to start. Rawles has his List of Lists that will get you on the good foot. Don't get discouraged if it seems overwhelming at first. Work on the things you can and devise a plan to develope the ones you cannot at present.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Bought a lot more canned goods this week. Not enough to fill the cart, but enough to make it tough to push in the snow. Got a small mess kit for the BOB. Also bought canteen cups but they don't fit around the canteens inside the case so have to work on returning them.

Burned through a bunch of ammo last night. Checking to make sure it didn't go sour. In doing so I found out that although I can still shoot with the gloves on, my fingers started to get a little too cold standing out there. Still better than the guy I was shooting with. He had nice warm gloves but couldn't do anything with them on. Need to find a happy medium.

Added to the pitiful FAK as well.

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    i live in an apartment but this last large snow fall got me to thinking hmmmmm what if i lost electric how do i stay warm. The apartment complex would be very unhappy with the use of a kerosene heater, any other sugestions other then ignore them and be very careful?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    i live in an apartment but this last large snow fall got me to thinking hmmmmm what if i lost electric how do i stay warm. The apartment complex would be very unhappy with the use of a kerosene heater, any other sugestions other then ignore them and be very careful?
    Exactly what you said. If they can't provide the heat there really isn't much they can do short of putting you in a hotel....IMO

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg

Big Buddy Propane heater with a couple 20# tanks. It doesn't smell like a Kerosene heater and the temp is much easier to control. The have a tip over shut off switch just like a Kero heater also. You can also hide the tanks in a duffel bag if you're worried about anyone seeing what you're using.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    Big Buddy Propane heater with a couple 20# tanks. It doesn't smell like a Kerosene heater and the temp is much easier to control. The have a tip over shut off switch just like a Kero heater also. You can also hide the tanks in a duffel bag if you're worried about anyone seeing what you're using.

Wanted to share my methods for heating.
    We are fortunate to be able to run our house on everything but natural gas.

Fuel oil: We used the fuel oil furnace for a month. Went through $300 of fuel. ouch. Decided to turn that off.

Electric: I tried electric space heaters. (also expensive, not even).

Kerosene: Had an old 1970's Kerosun heater and put a new wick in it. Heated entire 3BR 2 bath house with it. But went through about $7 per day in kerosene..because it is at the obscene cost of $4.09 per gallon. Did house 100% on kerosene for a couple of weeks.
    It does NOT make a smell when it it is running. ONLY when it runs out of fuel, or when you first start it. If you smell kerosene, THEN SOMETHING IS WRONG.

LP: like kerosene, it burns extremely efficient (and why you do not need a chimney for exhaust gas). LP actually generates about 1 quart of water for every 10 hours of use. I have a large LP heater, and only ran it for 2 days. It couldn't be turned down enough and was too hot (and loud). Because of it's size, it sucked through tanks fast.

Wood: Past week been running 100% on the wood furnace. (it's ducted into HVAC). Completely heats downstairs and upstairs and keeps house at 72. Problem with this is that you have to stoke it every few hours.

Hope and Dreams: burn through them quickly, but still leaves house cold.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i have finally started my food preps. went sshopping aand bought about 16 extra cans of stuff we eat. it isnt a whole lot i know but i feel better having finally started'

jake

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I gave my wife a fist full of mad money...she is very happy! Have to keep the spouse happy!

My brother has become a serious prep'r, but he a long way away.................we had a nice talk about gear and training.........

Last edited:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

He forgot to mention Argentina and Zimbabwe. Although there is no doubt that there are corporations capitalizing on the SHTF mindset of many individuals, think of one simple thing.....

Do you carry a firearm?

If you do, ask yourself why. If it is for any other reason other than for your own personal protection and the protection of those around you, then you really have no need to strap it on.

We carry because of the 'possibility' of something bad happening. Correct?

Keeping that in mind and knowing the ecomomic woes that our Country is suffering (and rising crime rates because of it), doesn't it make good sense to make preparations?

Argentina suffered hyperinflation. The citizens no longer had any confidence in their country's currency system and because of this, prices soared exponentially. Not 10 to 50%,,,,,upwards of 1000% over night. So, that $.50 can of corn you have on your shelf today could cost you $500.00 tomorrow. Wouldn't it be nice to have a years worth of food and supplies lardered up in your home so that what money you did have could be used to purchase short term consummables that can't be stored effectively?

:twocents:

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    He forgot to mention Argentina and Zimbabwe. Although there is no doubt that there are corporations capitalizing on the SHTF mindset of many individuals, think of one simple thing.....

Do you carry a firearm?

If you do, ask yourself why. If it is for any other reason other than for your own personal protection and the protection of those around you, then you really have no need to strap it on.

We carry because of the 'possibility' of something bad happening. Correct?

Keeping that in mind and knowing the ecomomic woes that our Country is suffering (and rising crime rates because of it), doesn't it make good sense to make preparations?

Argentina suffered hyperinflation. The citizens no longer had any confidence in their country's currency system and because of this, prices soared exponentially. Not 10 to 50%,,,,,upwards of 1000% over night. So, that $.50 can of corn you have on your shelf today could cost you $500.00 tomorrow. Wouldn't it be nice to have a years worth of food and supplies lardered up in your home so that what money you did have could be used to purchase short term consummables that can't be stored effectively?

:twocents:

You're right he didn't mention Argentina and Zimbabwe, but neither of those countries were 1st world countries to begin with. That's his main point. That countries that have collapsed to a third world state didn't do it from a 1st world position. His point is that it's extremely illogical to think that the U.S. will fall to third world (or worse) status over night.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You're right he didn't mention Argentina and Zimbabwe, but neither of those countries were 1st world countries to begin with. That's his main point. That countries that have collapsed to a third world state didn't do it from a 1st world position. His point is that it's extremely illogical to think that the U.S. will fall to third world (or worse) status over night.

Actually Argentina was not to far removed from First World Status when this happened...

One thing to look at is what is happening in some of the member Countries in the EU...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom