• Status
    Not open for further replies.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Added to and rotated our water supply. Picked up some canned food (as in just enough to look a little crazy but not quite enough to need a second cart) and reorganized the pantry to hold the supply. Would like to do more, but today was just focused on making sure we had enough if we were to get snowed in for a few days.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Bought another 1k plus of .22 ammo. Local Big R store is sold out of ammo cans so I have to start looking around for more of them. Working on stockpiling a bit more at secondary cache sites, even though they are not too far away and are in houses.

Then bought some typical supplies like TP and such. Decided to get a sampling of generic canned goods to have a taste test with the family. Store what you eat and all that. Don't want to end up with six months worth of Great Value food only to find out that they wont eat it unless the SHTF.

After getting home I realized that I don't know how much food we have, meal wise. Decided to start counting and organizing a little better. Don't want to end up with three hundred cans of corn and nothing else.

Showed the earlier post of the can storage shelves and got a good response. Now I have to find the time to start on one of them.

As far as water goes I am set at my place with a pond and all that. My secondary sites are not as fortunate. Need to decide how much space I can take up with other supplies there as well.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Bought a weeks worth of dry goods (cans rice beans pasta etc). Added a couple more gallons of water. Kinetico store sells 99.99% pure salt for their conditioners, no additives. It's about $20 for 90 lbs so I also have 3 bags hanging out for the conditioner or whatever else.

Cut up some more dead fall limbs to add to the wood pile in the back yard. Slowly but surely...

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Talked to a lead acid battery expert the other day. For durability (automotive, marine, diesel, etc), the plates are positioned vertically in the battery. This, however, does not lead to a good long battery life, as all the lead will plate lower and lower on the lead matrix plates, until the battery just dies.

For a sealed battery, if you position it so the plates are horizontal (typically on its side), the plating efficiency is much higher and the batter should last much much longer. This is a good idea if you're going to be using a battery bank with your generator.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Bought another 1k plus of .22 ammo. Local Big R store is sold out of ammo cans so I have to start looking around for more of them. Working on stockpiling a bit more at secondary cache sites, even though they are not too far away and are in houses.

Then bought some typical supplies like TP and such. Decided to get a sampling of generic canned goods to have a taste test with the family. Store what you eat and all that. Don't want to end up with six months worth of Great Value food only to find out that they wont eat it unless the SHTF.

After getting home I realized that I don't know how much food we have, meal wise. Decided to start counting and organizing a little better. Don't want to end up with three hundred cans of corn and nothing else.

Showed the earlier post of the can storage shelves and got a good response. Now I have to find the time to start on one of them.

As far as water goes I am set at my place with a pond and all that. My secondary sites are not as fortunate. Need to decide how much space I can take up with other supplies there as well.

Ha! You and I are on the same track. I talked my wife into trying a variety of canned veggies last week. She picked some up, and we have added them to our dinners (we normally used frozen, rather than canned). So far, they have all met her approval (I was raised on cans, so no issue with me!). She also saw the canned-goods storage rack in this thread, and liked the idea.

For all you folks that have a hard time getting/keeping organized, or like to be "in control" of your pantries, I bought my wife a recipe/inventory/shopping program a while back. She is still inputting her recipes and our stores, but she LOVES it! She has an ultra-organized personality, so something that tracks individual packets of gravy mix, and prints out her shopping lists is PERFECT for her.

Recipe Software | Living Cookbook 2011

And before anyways says "It won't work when SHTF", I can charge the laptop with solar ;)

Scout11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Adding a hand pump on top of my existing well head - unlimited water- no power needed ($300). Dried food & MRE's. Started buying silver last summer- bars & dollars - have small farm with 2 cows - goats for milk- chickens for eggs- donkey for daughter... been stocking up on 1000 rnd cases of .22, .223. SKS 7.65. (keep zbe's away). (10)Propane tanks are full + 100 lb tank, oil lamps & coleman stove. Keep gas cans and vehicles full. Wife thinks I'm nuts - maybe I am. If nothing happens - silver was good investment, can eat the food, sale animals buy an RV and watch the sun set on the beach. If & when something does happen - I'll watch the sun set from my house after nice supper and a glass of home made red wine. Peace & good luck.

Scout11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Bison pumps. I'm working on it this weekend- Just found out I need a deep well pump, my water is 30 feet down- cost just went up to 1K with the all the parts. Bison is the best, but ouch $$. Asking around for suggestions- ran into guy down the road- he tapped his own shallow well last fall- got the parts from menards- ($300-400+-). Like driving a fence post. My water table is fairly shallow so this weekend I'm trying it.
    Good luck

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Bison pumps. I'm working on it this weekend- Just found out I need a deep well pump, my water is 30 feet down- cost just went up to 1K with the all the parts. Bison is the best, but ouch $$. Asking around for suggestions- ran into guy down the road- he tapped his own shallow well last fall- got the parts from menards- ($300-400+-). Like driving a fence post. My water table is fairly shallow so this weekend I'm trying it.
    Good luck
    Well points or sand points can be a real PITA, don't get discouraged if at first you don't succeed. Formulate a plan to pull it and drive it again....use ivory soap to cake the tip/end with, find an old lady and I mean OLD that can witch out the best spot. My great grandmother who came here from the "old country" taught my dad when he was a young boy and he's never missed...I on the other hand missed 3 times before dad found the right willow branches and showed this young fella up.....

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    We placed some seed orders.More and more people are buying seeds,last year quite a few places ran out.Order yours today :)

Here, here! Not only are some of the companies running out of seeds,,, the FDA, through the back door, are running them out of business by heaping all sorts regulations and procedures on the process of cleaning and sorting seads. Also, the small timers are being ping'd by large agribusinesses with baseless accusations that they 'might have' cleaned and distributed 'trademarked' proprietary hybrid seeds. :xmad:

(Putting on the Reynolds wrap)Big Agriculture does not want us to be able to grow our own food. Nor does Big Government. Self sufficiency is a threat to their power.

Scout11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Read about starting in the basement with a sand point- closer to the water & won't freeze.. Any thoughts.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom