• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I'm really glad I'm a prepper. I've had no work or income for about 7-8 weeks now and my initiative to be prepared is really paying off. Moneys gone, no work, both cars down for the count......food holding up well, heat is easy just cut and split what I need each day. If I weren't prepared for things like this I would be in the bread line or begging on craigslist (I hate those ppl but do understand). This is really good practice for an event of greater magnitude and my resourcefulness/skills, ability to push on is really paying off. The girls (3 and 6) don't even notice and seem happier with me around more. Truth be told it's been touch and go like this for about a year now and at this point I'm confident that we are ready for ANYTHING. What's next? Bring it on, I'm good.

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    I made canned food organizers last week. Does that count?
    IMG_4101.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    One thing I have done a little bit of lately is stock up on some non-self defense shotgun ammo. I have a lot of slugs and 00 buck, but I got to thinking that a pocketful of #7 1/2 can do just as much to put food on the table so I started laying up a supply of common hunting loads.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    I made canned food organizers last week. Does that count?
    IMG_4101.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

That is a great idea for organization. Much better than the boring stacking (besides, if it was mixed soup rack, you could keep pulling cans out until you found one you like..all the while redepositing the unselected ones back in the top)

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    Last week I pulled my generator out of the back of shed and put right by door. Still has gas with stabil in it. It runs (I start it every couple of months), but I honestly never had to rely on it.
    I _still_ need to make a cheater cord to hook to the panel in house, so it will be a fast cutover when I need it. (instead of making one on-the-spot and wasting precious time)

Kind of like a spare tire...figure out where jack points, spare release..all that..is at before your car is off in the dirt in the dark and you are trying to figure it out.

That is the reason why I do some of the things I do...like carrying a BOB and eating MREs. Not for fun, but for purpose.
    I prepared some more MREs last week when having kids at office getting it ready for Christmas party. They like them, almost like a novelty, and it keeps my memory up on them. I remember the first MRE I prepared, I wasn't sure about the heater and which way to fold the flap, etc.

Now, I can do the complete prep in a dimly lit environment without having to consciously think about it. You NEED to have that kind of competence in ANY of your prep areas.

I also carry at least 1 firearm on my person most days (yes, you can have one and drop your kids off at public school in Indiana). Am I scared of people? Not at all. But it took a little bit of time to get used to concealed holsters. (as opposed open carry when reposessing cars in the ghetto, but that is another story).
    I would rather be comfortable carrying now. I would rather practice shooting now, than at the critical moment. (whether hunting or self defense)

In a SHTF, or just natural disaster scenario, you won't have the frame of mind...or the time.. to break out instructions and figure stuff out at your leisure.
    So keep that in mind as you go over any preps you already have:
    -Run that generator before the power really goes out
    -open that first aid kit and go over contents before someone needs help (and you realize you don't even have pain killers)
    -pickup your fire extinguisher and carry it to your kitchen or bedroom in a dry-run
    -turn on your kerosene backup heater and SHUT OFF your furnace to see if you won't freeze to death in power failure.
    -start a fire from scratch with a magnesium bar and dry kindling

A plan is one thing. But when it comes time for action, the morgue will be full of people with 'grand ideas'.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    Added another storage shelf unit in the basement for more water and canned goods.

Picked up some more .45 ACP and >38 Special rounds as well.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Bought another 5 gallon kerosene (blue) can and filled it with K-1 at Gas America for $3.25 / gallon.

Then, I scoured my area for some PRI-D kerosene stabilizer to no avail.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    When asked for suggestions for Christmas gifts, I told everyone that I wanted "functional/practical" gifts.

So far, I have received 3 pair of heavy wool blend socks from my friend, Paul. (He thought I was crazy, but he did it.:D) Tomorrow, my son, grand daughter and I will be going to the free state (IN) to celebrate with my daughter and her family. (Including her in-laws) I told my daughter the same thing.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Just yesterday I traded all my guns for 5 pounds of fresh beef. I'll be eatin' like a king for the next couple of days!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife went on a little mini-prep bent for Christmas: hand-crank radio (AM/FM/weather/FRS/GMRS), hand-crank LED lantern, prep book, and some random BOB stuff. She got a pressure cooker/caner from my mother. She also got a Kindle, and her first book (for both of us) is "Lights Out".

I'm spending this week (I have a few days off) organizing some of our storage, and restocking stuff we let get low. Should be a good week!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom