Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Been working with a cousin for a bit, trying to get her to realize that prepping isn't just for end of world crazies.

Her job boosted her pay by a buck an hour. She started living high on the hog, like the grasshopper. Then she got called for jury duty for two days. Her job doesn't reimburse and the vacation money didn't come in. Losing those two days kicked her back side financially.

I reminded her about our lengthy talks on prepping. She recalls, but I doubt she puts any of it to use. I am reminded also about leading a horse to water and all that.

Here is my thoughts on her lifestyle.
    If loosing 2 days puts you on your butt then you are not doing it right.
    We remember times where if on Thursday morning the spouse and I had 2 solid dollars between us we felt like winners. One of us got to eat lunch and guess who that was.....:)
    But not because we were living La Vida Loca either. Just tough times. we worked through them.

JMHO

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Positive's.
    We had a sit down over dinner last night with the SIL and daughter. Plans were discussed about how better to prepare for about anything that comes along. I let them both read some of this thread. We are putting a solid plan in place. Mainly bug out 1st. Then we re-assess the stay put plan.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Most folks are completely unprepared for any, even short term, fiscal setback...including any thought of retirement. Being on a sound financial basis make being sound on other preparations much easier.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We remember times where if on Thursday morning the spouse and I had 2 solid dollars between us we felt like winners. One of us got to eat lunch and guess who that was.....:)
    But not because we were living La Vida Loca either. Just tough times. we worked through them.

JMHO

This. All of it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Most folks are completely unprepared for any, even short term, fiscal setback...including any thought of retirement. Being on a sound financial basis make being sound on other preparations much easier.

Retirement . . . that's an interesting concept that once showed promise.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

Your thoughts are what I have been pounding into her head. She has made progress in that she bought appliances instead of tattoos last time. She has had a tough last few years. Her now ex was a little too hands on. She finally broke that cycle, which is why she came to this part of the state. I can't beat her ass about the money thing... yet. But she has to learn a little faster.

She was worried about him finding her, so I palmed her a pistol. But she would never make time to go train with it, so I have it back. Some people move slower than the rest of the world.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Your thoughts are what I have been pounding into her head. She has made progress in that she bought appliances instead of tattoos last time. She has had a tough last few years. Her now ex was a little too hands on. She finally broke that cycle, which is why she came to this part of the state. I can't beat her ass about the money thing... yet. But she has to learn a little faster.

She was worried about him finding her, so I palmed her a pistol. But she would never make time to go train with it, so I have it back. Some people move slower than the rest of the world.

Makes perfect sense yet it does not. But I do understand. From personal experience in this same area.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Retirement . . . that's an interesting concept that once showed promise.

Had the housing market not tanked I would have retired by 35.

Now I guess I am retired since I don't have a W2, don't punch a clock and don't collect a check. But I seem to be working more and more of late and that is concerning.

I am happy that I made it as far as I did without having to worry too much about what I would do next.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Had the housing market not tanked I would have retired by 35.

Now I guess I am retired since I don't have a W2, don't punch a clock and don't collect a check. But I seem to be working more and more of late and that is concerning.

I am happy that I made it as far as I did without having to worry too much about what I would do next.

My wife was deeply involved in the housing market and was pretty much put into retirement when the walls came crashing down around us.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I didn't get hurt, just set back. I remember being able to buy whatever I wanted just because I wanted it. Then all of a sudden I had too many loans and was off the radar. Hell I had a banker contact me for a lunch date just to see if I was wanting to buy something else. I have never been big time, but those days were good to me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I didn't get hurt, just set back. I remember being able to buy whatever I wanted just because I wanted it. Then all of a sudden I had too many loans and was off the radar. Hell I had a banker contact me for a lunch date just to see if I was wanting to buy something else. I have never been big time, but those days were good to me.

The way things ended did hurt us. We saw it coming but to late to get out from under some of the rentals. And the souses job went away in a sell out un-announced. Tough times.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since last post, I've continued to watch what I eat and I'm down 15 pounds. My body is adjusting and settling in at this new weight and for now I'm going to shift to maintaining this and start working more on the exercise part of the equation.

I've continued to do some hikes and kayaking with the new packraft. So far, I'm loving it. Last trip out was a 2.3 mile hike, then a 2.3 mile paddle home with the current. Last time I saw two huge black snakes, a giant snapping turtle, and coming around a bend I spooked a bald eagle who took off with some furry critter in it's talons who's luck had run out.

Planning an overnight with some nephews in the upcoming weeks. It'll mean getting off work at 5, driving 4 ish hours and then starting to hike into wherever we go around 9:30 - 10:00pm. I figure we'll get to where we setup for the night around midnight or 1am ish, have a campfire, sleep in a little, pack up and head back out. It'll be their first overnight hike / backpacking trip ever so the terrain and everything will be on the easier side of things. Going in at night gives them one experience, and hiking out the next day gives them a completely different view to look at. I like those kinds of deals because it's like getting two trips in one outting.

Ran some drills with the boys, and while doing so I experienced two catastrophic double feeds in the same night in a rifle setup that has never failed me yet. When I do these kinds of drills I use a variety pack of "practice" mags that are all taped up and you can find in the weeds, tall grass, snow etc. It's a variety pack of mags like D&H alum, Okay alum, Okay E2, Pmag gen 1, Pmag gen 2, Cproducts stainless, okay alum 20rd etc. I like to make my training mags a variety pack so I'm used to the subtle differences in the mags.

Bought a new sharp and pointy knife, because I'm a guy and that's all the excuse I need to get something I'll end up cutting my thumb with.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Since last post, I've continued to watch what I eat and I'm down 15 pounds. My body is adjusting and settling in at this new weight and for now I'm going to shift to maintaining this and start working more on the exercise part of the equation.

I've continued to do some hikes and kayaking with the new packraft. So far, I'm loving it. Last trip out was a 2.3 mile hike, then a 2.3 mile paddle home with the current. Last time I saw two huge black snakes, a giant snapping turtle, and coming around a bend I spooked a bald eagle who took off with some furry critter in it's talons who's luck had run out.

Planning an overnight with some nephews in the upcoming weeks. It'll mean getting off work at 5, driving 4 ish hours and then starting to hike into wherever we go around 9:30 - 10:00pm. I figure we'll get to where we setup for the night around midnight or 1am ish, have a campfire, sleep in a little, pack up and head back out. It'll be their first overnight hike / backpacking trip ever so the terrain and everything will be on the easier side of things. Going in at night gives them one experience, and hiking out the next day gives them a completely different view to look at. I like those kinds of deals because it's like getting two trips in one outting.

Ran some drills with the boys, and while doing so I experienced two catastrophic double feeds in the same night in a rifle setup that has never failed me yet. When I do these kinds of drills I use a variety pack of "practice" mags that are all taped up and you can find in the weeds, tall grass, snow etc. It's a variety pack of mags like D&H alum, Okay alum, Okay E2, Pmag gen 1, Pmag gen 2, Cproducts stainless, okay alum 20rd etc. I like to make my training mags a variety pack so I'm used to the subtle differences in the mags.

Bought a new sharp and pointy knife, because I'm a guy and that's all the excuse I need to get something I'll end up cutting my thumb with.

Was it with the same magazine?

Oh, and you need to tell use more about the new knife in the knife forum, post haste!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Bought a Berkey filter. The family is drinking a lot more water. We have well water that even with all the filters and softener is a mineral supplement. With the Berkey the family is drinking a lot more water, it works like a charm.

Also this year I changed my workout routine, dropped 20lb. With working full time I can only dedicate about 30min a day actually working out so it's difficult to stay where I want to but the change helps shock the body. I changed my diet a bit with the dehydrator too, a couple of pieces of jerky during the day and a good meal in the evening.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yesterday I did some "whittlin'" to practice carving feather sticks/curls and some simple notches. I also tried some different knives and found that I got the best results with the curls using a TOPS MSK 2.5, which is a mini version of their bushcraft styled knives like the BOB. Tied for second were the Mora Eldris and the thinnest blade Mora I have (a Clipper). I'm getting better at controlling the thickness and width of the curls and to a lesser extent my ability to make them longer. I'm still having trouble cutting them as long as possible without cutting too far so that the wood curl falls off of the stick.

In addition to being good practice for a variety of knife tasks, it's oddly peaceful and soothing activity. It's not easy to feel much stress or anxiety after a few minutes of whittlin'.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom