• Status
    Not open for further replies.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Good show! If haven't done so already, learn how to use all of it before you actually need it. It's easy to make sparks with a ferro rod, but it can be a challenge with poor technique to ignite less than ideal tinder. Israeli bandages are awesome (have at least one with me all the time), but it's good to know how to use it properly.

I'm police/EMT so the medical stuff is good to go! I do need some practice of the ferro rod though...

The wife and I have a few camping trips this fall planned so we'll see how it goes!

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I have one rifle with the 45 degree sights on it. Kind of odd to use at first but I was surprised at how quickly I could transition from glass to irons. Even though I only have a red dot with no magnification on that one. Just wanted to test it out.

Oh and if you find a way to kill a mint plant post it... I had a couple when we first moved here... they are invasive in some areas. I can't kill em. I keep saying I need to make some tea with them some time... just for fun.

I don't have any experience really with using red dots (I don't have them on any of my other rifles or my shot gun) so I went with a traditional rifle scope that'll be sighted in at 100 yards. So for close up work I'll need some sort of iron sights. They just came but I don't know when I'll get them actually on the gun and get everything sighted in. Soon hopefully.

I thought I had killed this mint plant. I bought it and kept it inside (it was inside at the grocery store and I've killed other plants by putting them straight outside). It didn't look so good so I put the pot outside and thought it had died. Then one day I saw a little sprig of green in the pot and started fertilizing and watering it again. It's growing like a weed now.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I don't have any experience really with using red dots (I don't have them on any of my other rifles or my shot gun) so I went with a traditional rifle scope that'll be sighted in at 100 yards. So for close up work I'll need some sort of iron sights. They just came but I don't know when I'll get them actually on the gun and get everything sighted in. Soon hopefully.

I thought I had killed this mint plant. I bought it and kept it inside (it was inside at the grocery store and I've killed other plants by putting them straight outside). It didn't look so good so I put the pot outside and thought it had died. Then one day I saw a little sprig of green in the pot and started fertilizing and watering it again. It's growing like a weed now.

If you transplant that, put it somewhere where you can tolerate or even appreciate the spread. I originally planted mine with a barrier: a metal coffee can with the bottom removed, to keep the root runners from spreading. That lasted about 2 years then it went crazy and now is spread over a 10x10 foot area. Fortunately, I have enough land to just let it go. I've even considered using a mint or a relative (such as lemon balm) on some edges so I can just mow through them with the rider and not need an edger.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    If you transplant that, put it somewhere where you can tolerate or even appreciate the spread. I originally planted mine with a barrier: a metal coffee can with the bottom removed, to keep the root runners from spreading. That lasted about 2 years then it went crazy and now is spread over a 10x10 foot area. Fortunately, I have enough land to just let it go. I've even considered using a mint or a relative (such as lemon balm) on some edges so I can just mow through them with the rider and not need an edger.

For sure. I'm planning on probably keeping it in a pot...just a larger pot then it's in now.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Got the 45* offset sights and put them on the AR...still need to sight everything in though

Picked up an electric pressure cooker today for a great deal

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Picked up some more general house hold supplies, water, medical supplies, organizational totes and am working on a bag for my daughter to keep in her car.

Also started writing a new story, have 15,000 words and am contemplating letting you all read it..

Just cleaned and organized my prep/gun room and put new supplies away, rotated some, moved some to the "eat soon" shelf, trying to gauge shelf life of a few items.

Read up some more on getting my HAM license, took a few on line practice tests and am confident the technician would be a breeze and working on a solid 90% on the general class.

Rotated batteries, spot checked long term stored ammo, cleaned a few tools, scouted some hunting spots.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Got the 45* offset sights and put them on the AR...still need to sight everything in though

For me it kind of felt odd going half gangster and tilting the rifle at first. Then it was actually comfortable. Might throw some glass on that one just so it justifies having those sights sticking way out on the side.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Busy canning, making preserves and pickling, made up a metric ton of pickle relish too. Cucumbers, squash, zucchini, strawberries, currants, blueberries, and gooseberries, about 25gal of tomatoes...so far. I'm thinking of getting a good sized vegetable fermenting crock and doing some natural slaw...

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Looking at a set of these for the current AR

For me it kind of felt odd going half gangster and tilting the rifle at first. Then it was actually comfortable. Might throw some glass on that one just so it justifies having those sights sticking way out on the side.

I looked at a set.....$250 for a decent set.........:dunno:

Like I said, I'm more comfortable with a "normal" riflescope. The Bushnell I got has a reticle meant to be zero'd at 100 yards. So I wanted something for close in work (the iron sights). I think I like it so far.

Churchmouse, if you mean the 45* sights, I got mine off ebay. The price was way cheaper then what I could have gotten them from a distributor for. And if I don't like the setup I don't have a lot invested in them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Like I said, I'm more comfortable with a "normal" riflescope. The Bushnell I got has a reticle meant to be zero'd at 100 yards. So I wanted something for close in work (the iron sights). I think I like it so far.

Churchmouse, if you mean the 45* sights, I got mine off ebay. The price was way cheaper then what I could have gotten them from a distributor for. And if I don't like the setup I don't have a lot invested in them.

Yup....the angled sights.
    I found a set for a bit less but they do not look well made.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yup....the angled sights.
    I found a set for a bit less but they do not look well made.

I think buying the best quality sights within your budget is a very good idea. They have to work, they have to withstand impacts, they have to maintain zero, and the adjustments should be repeatable.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Found Bear Creek freeze dried soups on sale and stocked up.
    Wolf Chili and Chunky soups were on special as well. Shelves are full.

Water.
    It seems like Kroger and meijer have wolf chili on sale quite often, like when one doesn't, the other does. I've been buying Kroger store brand ravioli, spaghetti and meatballs, and macaroni and beef for $0.67 a can recently, as well. I've also seen the chef boyardee stuff at Menards for dang near as cheap as Kroger and meijer store brand. I've been stressing to my kids, who are all living on their own now, there's plenty of options available to be prepared, without spending a fortune. They probably don't pay much attention to what I say, but that's another story.......:):

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom