• Status
    Not open for further replies.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    MCgrease, I like that idea and it keeps me from borrowing my sis' vacuum sealer and buying bags.

CM, canning rules. It is expensive until you get past your initial investment of a quality canner and a good supply of jars.

PistolBob, go to YouTube and search "canning ham and beans". There's a guy that cooks them in a large, tabletop roasting oven, then cans them up. It looks like it would be a weekend project, but puts a buncha jars up all at once.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    MCgrease, I like that idea and it keeps me from borrowing my sis' vacuum sealer and buying bags.CM, canning rules. It is expensive until you get past your initial investment of a quality canner and a good supply of jars. PistolBob, go to YouTube and search "canning ham and beans". There's a guy that cooks them in a large, tabletop roasting oven, then cans them up. It looks like it would be a weekend project, but puts a buncha jars up at once.

That is our issue with canning. Time. We do not have entire weekends to devote these days and my spouse is not up to this either. I have friends that do a lot of canning and they trade out over the winter with us so there is some really cool foods on the stove in the dead of January.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Spouse picked up at sams. Not repackaged as yet.

The rice was in 5# packages as were the beans.
    I am looking at ways to seal/store it as I am somewhat new to storing rice/beans in bulk.

Thank you sir!
    I pick up my bulk rice at Kroger, because I'm already there for shopping anyway. I don't have a source for bulk beans, dropped the Sam's club membership years ago when I got Amazon prime.

Save your 2-liter bottles. A 10 lb bag fills 5-6 bottles.

20150831_214812_zpsgxhtuvl6.jpg

I use Kroger vinegar gallon bottles for the same.

20150831_223854_zpsnb9sn60k.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    We picked up our bulk storage rice at Gordon's Food Service...#50 bags. Stored in sealed steel drums with desiccant in the coldest darkest corner of the basement.

We like to can, we like to brew our own adult beverages too...but as with CM, there are only so many hours in the day.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We picked up our bulk storage rice at Gordon's Food Service...#50 bags. Stored in sealed steel drums with desiccant in the coldest darkest corner of the basement.

We like to can, we like to brew our own adult beverages too...but as with CM, there are only so many hours in the day.

Bingo.....and available space.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    This week ive added some more rice(10lbs), a few more ozs of silver, 4 (24) packs of water and just for the hell of it a 458socom upper. Pretty good week for me, lol

DWT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2015
    Brazil
    I've been adding toilet paper, water, and ammunition. We're pretty good on many things, and we have a little homestead. But imagine being without TP.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've been adding toilet paper, water, and ammunition. We're pretty good on many things, and we have a little homestead. But imagine being without TP.

That's when you get to find out where the saying 'getting the ****end of the stick' comes from. Bucket of water, community ***wiping stick. Just put it back in the right way folks.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

A couple of years ago we got several hundred pounds of rice, beans, rolled oats, and corn. I got a bunch of 5-gallon buckets, mylar bags, and O2 absorbers, and we spend a weekend packing the stuff in. It was a big job, but when we were done, we felt much better about our food situation.

A couple of times since then, I've taken the big mylar bags and cut them down into half-gallon sizes and put up a bunch of those with dried milk and other stuff with smaller O2 absorbers. If you do it right, the mylar bag draws up tight like it's been vacuum sealed. I pack those smaller bags in under-the-bed totes.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    A couple of years ago we got several hundred pounds of rice, beans, rolled oats, and corn. I got a bunch of 5-gallon buckets, mylar bags, and O2 absorbers, and we spend a weekend packing the stuff in. It was a big job, but when we were done, we felt much better about our food situation.

A couple of times since then, I've taken the big mylar bags and cut them down into half-gallon sizes and put up a bunch of those with dried milk and other stuff with smaller O2 absorbers. If you do it right, the mylar bag draws up tight like it's been vacuum sealed. I pack those smaller bags in under-the-bed totes.

I once collapsed a 5 gallon bucket by adding a few too many O2 absorbers. Fortunately, it was still well sealed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom