Not open for further replies.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I finally completed the LP conversion on my genny and ran it for 20 minutes today. VERY happy with the outcome, it was easier than I anticipated. 7800/13500 watts at the ready without the worry of stale fuel. :banana:

Generator3_zpszzcegdba.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The only thing I like better than seeing a generator that runs on propane is a bigger generator that runs on propane and a couple of huge LP tanks filled and ready.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The only thing I like better than seeing a generator that runs on propane is a bigger generator that runs on propane and a couple of huge LP tanks filled and ready.

"The Plan" is to hang a wet line off a 1,000 tank & hook this puppy up to that when the power goes out. That's why it has two regulators instead of just the one. A 40' 230V/30A cord will run from the genny to an outside receptacle that feeds a transfer switch to key circuits in the house.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    "The Plan" is to hang a wet line off a 1,000 tank & hook this puppy up to that when the power goes out. That's why it has two regulators instead of just the one. A 40' 230V/30A cord will run from the genny to an outside receptacle that feeds a transfer switch to key circuits in the house.

As Mr. Burns would say, "Excellent . . ."

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I finally completed the LP conversion on my genny and ran it for 20 minutes today. VERY happy with the outcome, it was easier than I anticipated. 7800/13500 watts at the ready without the worry of stale fuel. :banana:

Generator3_zpszzcegdba.jpg

What is the rate of fuel used per hour on a setup like this? And how much did it cost for the conversion?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    What is the rate of fuel used per hour on a setup like this? And how much did it cost for the conversion?

I don't know, the goal was a generator that used a fuel that could be easily stored very long term. Since it is commonly used in many different applications (such as fork lifts), I have to believe it relatively economical compared to gasoline. I'm sure there's data on consumption rates for an 18hp Briggs 4 stroke out there.

This is the kit I bought. I got it on sale for $99 after watching the site for more than six months. I added their portable propane hose kit for $49.
    MOTOR SNORKEL TRI-FUEL (Natural Gas, Propane, and Gasoline) Conversion Kit

From the vendor's website: http://www.motorsnorkel.com/propane-consumption-rate?___SID=U

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I received my "hi gain WIFI antenna" today. Hooked it up to the kitchen laptop and it worked as advertised!

I'm rural and my neighbors have one of those auto-on generators. For a couple years, I've noticed during power outages that my laptop shows available WIFI and it's those neighbors, 200 yards out. I could never get a strong enough signal to actually connect until today. The WIFI signal is about 1/3 to 1/2 my normal speed, but the test revealed that's still enough to stream video.
    :rockwoot:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I received my "hi gain WIFI antenna" today. Hooked it up to the kitchen laptop and it worked as advertised!

I'm rural and my neighbors have one of those auto-on generators. For a couple years, I've noticed during power outages that my laptop shows available WIFI and it's those neighbors, 200 yards out. I could never get a strong enough signal to actually connect until today. The WIFI signal is about 1/3 to 1/2 my normal speed, but the test revealed that's still enough to stream video.
    :rockwoot:

I'm doing the same thing with my own antenna and my nephew's wifi across the street!

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    So , all 8 chick's finally hatched. Getting bigger fast, and eating more daily. The whole experience has taught us a lot about being self sufficient. It's not rocket science, and if you get into it incrementally, you avoid big mistakes and losses.
    Next year we will be setting up a chick run to raise meat chickens, and allowing them to run in the rabbit kennel. ( I put the rabbits in the old dog run to keep coyotes away) this fall I'll put a hot wire on top next year a frame and chicken wire to keep hawks out. One step at a time. Also repurposing the old Maytag washer into a motorized plucker.
    Plucking is the worst part of chickens.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So , all 8 chick's finally hatched. Getting bigger fast, and eating more daily. The whole experience has taught us a lot about being self sufficient. It's not rocket science, and if you get into it incrementally, you avoid big mistakes and losses.
    Next year we will be setting up a chick run to raise meat chickens, and allowing them to run in the rabbit kennel. ( I put the rabbits in the old dog run to keep coyotes away) this fall I'll put a hot wire on top next year a frame and chicken wire to keep hawks out. One step at a time. Also repurposing the old Maytag washer into a motorized plucker.
    Plucking is the worst part of chickens.

Pics of the plucker when done please......I have got to see this.....:)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since my last post...

Range session with some friends. I had one spot me so I could get a feel for my holdovers with my colt6920. Using my aimpoint pro I hit at the usual distances and with the help of the spotter now I know where to hold to make hits on steel at 600 yards. I didn't think the little m4 wannabe was going to pull that off with XM193 55gr fmj, but it did and since then we've sort of fell in love all over again. That same day for the first time since I started shooting long range years ago I judged the wind correctly and made a first round hit at 1,000 yards. I was having a pretty good night and the stars must have been perfectly aligned or something that night. After all that good stuff worked on pistol drills and medical.

Dusted off the reloading bench and have been stuffing mags as quickly as I can produce the ammo. I was getting into a zone I'd consider to be dangerously low on ammo supplies, and I had all the reloading components I needed to at least make a pile of practice ammo. Ammo is made, mags are topped off, bandoleers are full, balance has been restored. Still more to make though.

Spent the night out back with the kids in a tent. They were all bundled up in their sleeping bags with extra blankets and comfy. I took a usgi PT mat for a ground pad and my woobie. It wasn't bad at all, and I slept pretty well.

Had a great night out with my neighbors. We did one of the "Pedal City" bike rentals in town where you can get up to a dozen people all pedaling and drinking on a bike and ride through town. We all laughed till our faces hurt. Afterwards, we hung out and drank at their patio type bar listening to a one man band and played ping pong. One of the best nights out we've had in a long time. Part of my preps, is making sure I'm enjoying the life we've got while times are good and the electricity is still on. Highly recommend pedal city if anyone is interested.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom