• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    About a month ago one of my wife's silky chickens went broody. As silkys lay tiny eggs we decided to just go with it. My Americauna started laying eggs in that same nest box, till there was 7 or 8 eggs under the brooder. ...to date 2 have hatched and are now in a warming box till they get bigger. Kinda neat how nature works, almost without any help.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Also picked up 3 bunnies. Hope to raise meat rabbits next spring. ....also we got 2 does and a buck....hard to tell at 8 weeks..

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Here's what I've done for water prep over the course of a lot of years.

As far as actual stored water on sight I've been using these aquatainers for years Amazon.com: Reliance Products Aqua-Tainer 7 Gallon Rigid Water Container
    I made the switch after grocery store bought water jugs failed and started to leak. Thankfully the water ran into a sump pit. I don't put much faith in the individual water bottles either. Those aquatainers can usually be found on sale at walmart. Between that and the water heater I think I'm good to get through 99% of whatever would get thrown at us. If I've got a heads up, then yeah one of those "waterbob" bathtub liners would be used.

Here's another way I look at water prepping from a purification standpoint. For the house, if/when a bunch of unprepared sheep show up I've got the berky filter. The berky is more for the bug-in type of problems and that's great until it's time to leave. If we have time to get geared up before we leave, we've got a katadyn base camp and a katadyn hiker pro. They both use the exact same filter, so one in each actual filter and a spare filter all by itself. The base camp is gravity fed, so it really is good for a base camp. Then in each vehicle, I have stainless containers. I'm a big fan of the 32oz. stainless kit's GEN3 Stainless Steel 32 oz. Bottle & Nesting Cup Set - Self Reliance Outfitters? from self reliance outfitters (Pathfinder School). The container is made by kleen canteen, but the nesting cup it comes with is very well thought out and I like to have a complete kit in each vehicle. These kits are on sale often and I think the package is worth it. As far as the Kleen Canteen's go, I've got a 27oz, and a 64oz bottle in addition to the regular 32's from pathfinder. Anytime the family goes anywhere in our light armored multi-personnel and cargo vehicle (minivan) I always have that 64oz wattle bottle tucked away somewhere. The 64oz boils water really well for as big as it is, and the advantage of the 27oz is that it'll fit in a cup holder for daily use.

For me, I've taken the approach with water that I want some on hand, but I also want to make sure I've got redundancy in about every form or fashion to purify it. Sure I can pick up sticks and boil water, I've done that before and would prefer to just grab a blue jug of water and set it next to the sink.

Water is everything, without it all the guns, ammo, and other nonsense we spend our money on is useless. Stack it deep and definitely get some of those powder mixes of whatever you like and don't like just to mix it up every once in a while. Huge moral boost.

Nice Info Teddy12b!!! I'm lucky here, have an artesian well, so even without power, have 20 to 25 psi of potable water boiling up out of the ground. I installed a cast iron well cap with a 1" brass valve outlet. I was going to plumb it into an auto watering system for our garden boxes this year, but the rain just kept coming until 2 weeks ago.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Nice Info Teddy12b!!! I'm lucky here, have an artesian well, so even without power, have 20 to 25 psi of potable water boiling up out of the ground. I installed a cast iron well cap with a 1" brass valve outlet. I was going to plumb it into an auto watering system for our garden boxes this year, but the rain just kept coming until 2 weeks ago.

Man that's awesome to have 20 to 25 psi of potable water. I thought I had it good with a river just a couple minutes walk from the back patio. Water will always be easy for me to get, but a challenge to filter & purify if I needed to provide enough for a family my size.

Wire Fox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I just started reading into prepping outside of the guns & ammo type. Practical prepping is best prepping.

Also, I'm looking into neighborhood watch groups and militias to try and find a non-extremist group to train, share knowledge with, and help support each other.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I just started reading into prepping outside of the guns & ammo type. Practical prepping is best prepping.

Also, I'm looking into neighborhood watch groups and militias to try and find a non-extremist group to train, share knowledge with, and help support each other.

The best way to find others that I've found is to go to as much local training as you can find. Go to places where people are willing to spend the time and money to improve themselves and their situations. Those are the groups to people to start sorting through and see who you'd trust.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Bought two more 24 packs of 0.5 liter water bottles from Meijer and moved the one half empty case to my car. I'm not sure how well it will keep in my car, but it's worth a shot.

The 24 packs of water are the best way for me to store water right now unfortunately. I'm planning to start another thread to just get some ideas from you all about my situation and setups.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I went to the gym this morning. Crossfit is continuing to kick my fat butt. Every class I'm the slowest guy, using the least amount of weight and I'm the last to finish. I thought I was at least half way strong when I showed up and by most standards I am, but the more I attend the classes the more I realize the difference in crossfit kinds of strength. I think I'm getting addicted to it, even though I definitely suck right now. A year from now if I continue with it I'll be stronger, faster, lighter, etc, but if I quit I'll go back to being a weak little sissy so those are my choices.

Did a little Kayaking, not much though. Just enjoying the scenery and noticing leaves starting to turn colors.

Zero'd an AK for the first time in my life. The ole pap is dialed in at 50 yards now. Painted the front sight orange with a paint pen so that helps me out quite a bit. I did a little playing around with tapco plastic mags along with steel com bloc surplus mags. After ripping the little lip off the tapco plastic mag it reassured me that my go to mags will not be tapco plastic.

Tried to get a solid zero for my 300 blackout and the red dot is on, but the back up sights are not since the rail came loose. I don't think it was ever tightened properly at PSA so that's a little frustrating, but ultimately not a big deal. Customer service email sent.

Did the usual dry firing practice.

Ate some carrots from the garden. Thinking next year, I want to plant a lot more carrots. They're filling and it's pretty easy to get carrots to grow.

MacAttack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2015
    Under your bed
    Ruger LC9s, the first of what will be many gun purchases getting back into the hobby, and starting one of two GHB's for the vehicles. Also planted a USB drive with backed up documents in an encrypted disk image in the wife's car.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Last night I took every fixed blade knife I own and worked on feather sticks. I took every different ferro rod I own and used them with about every knife combination I could think of to see what I liked the best. I've used all my fixed blades, and ferro rods individually and have been happy with them but I've never really tried to compare one to the other so see what was the best combo. I always just worked with whatever combo I had.

Repacked my truck bag. I've been looking hard at everything I've been keeping in my vehicle and my goal was to get whatever bag completely under the seat without there being any issues. I've been taking a hard look at the weight of my actual backpacks & bags. I've never made an in depth look at the weight of my gear, and have always just piled it up and carried it. Maybe I'm getting older, but my old bag weighed 5 pounds for just the bag so I felt like that was another good reason to make some changes. I'm happy with what I've got setup heading into fall.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Last night I took every fixed blade knife I own and worked on feather sticks. I took every different ferro rod I own and used them with about every knife combination I could think of to see what I liked the best. I've used all my fixed blades, and ferro rods individually and have been happy with them but I've never really tried to compare one to the other so see what was the best combo. I always just worked with whatever combo I had.

Making feather sticks isn't just good practice, it's also peaceful and meditative. If you want to challenge your skills, try feathering strike anywhere match sticks! It's fun!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I just watched a NUTNFANCY video on Why not to bug out. Lots of good advise, plus it has renewed my interest in prepping.
    I am a noob to prepping, much like a fitness program, I think it is something all responsible people should do.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom