• Status
    Not open for further replies.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Amazing how you happened to be looking right at that ground hog when he had his splitting headache episode. Uncanny.
    250 yards on a whistle pig aint too shabby.

I don't take too much credit, the gun did all the work. I just pointed it at the right spot. :)

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Bought a 24-pack of bottled water from Meijer. It already saved us a bit as we took a trip and needed to grab some water on the way out. 8 bottles gone already. Gotta pick up some more this week.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    We do not have the room for tanks. The flats of water are in every nook and cranny. We have about 40 1 gallon jugs in milk crates for cooking/cleaning in the pantry. I am seeing signs that they are not good for much past a year.

This will not end well. You are right about drinking water not storing well. Particularly in plastic bottles.

An extra propane tank and a jumbo pack of coffee filters- so you can boil sediment free water on your grill will do far more than a pallet of water from Costco.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This will not end well. You are right about drinking water not storing well. Particularly in plastic bottles.

An extra propane tank and a jumbo pack of coffee filters- so you can boil sediment free water on your grill will do far more than a pallet of water from Costco.

The pallet storage idea has been upgraded. We are cycling out the cheaper flimsy bottled water.
    I have found that Desani is in a really good/sturdy bottle. That is now the go to choice.

The number of people that will be relying on this water will have no problem going through it pretty quickly even under rationing conditions. We have done a few drills where we just lived off the stores. It was rationed and we still made a good dent in it over a 4 day test run. This has pushed me to expand the food stores and also the water. We have put in 3 different filter systems. A lot of clarifying agents etc.
    Water is the most precious resource. Space is and will be an issue. Working on it.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you want to store tap water on the cheap, 2-liter soda bottles are far more sturdy than milk jugs and won't impart any weird taste over time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We are looking at this.
    Do you treat the water when putting it in the bottle or just put it in the cool/dry place.

Cool, dry place. For a few months, residual chlorine from the municipal water supply will keep it potable. Later on, treat as you use it. Treating at the time you fill the bottle won't guarantee that it'll still be good when you use, then you don't want to keep re-treating it for a variety of reasons.

Two-liter PET soda bottles are very strong and durable. You could build a raft with them too!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Cool, dry place. For a few months, residual chlorine from the municipal water supply will keep it potable. Later on, treat as you use it. Treating at the time you fill the bottle won't guarantee that it'll still be good when you use, then you don't want to keep re-treating it for a variety of reasons.

Two-liter PET soda bottles are very strong and durable. You could build a raft with them too!

At the rate my crew blows through liter pop bottles this is the answer.

Thanks Rhino

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    At the rate my crew blows through liter pop bottles this is the answer.

Thanks Rhino

You are welcome, sir!

Here is my process:

1. Rinse empty bottle
    2. Use Sharpie to write "Water" and/or "H2O" plus the date on the bottle
    3. Fill with tap water and cap it

Writing the date you filled it helps you cycle through in first in, first out.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Am I the only one who believes in canned water for long term?

And if you're stationary, filtering and boiling is best?

And if you're mobile, a pint = lb. ? I'd rather carry a stockpot and a fire starter and drink boiled ditchwater than hump 10 gallons of stale tap water.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Canned water is great, but it's going to cost a lot to have two gallons per person per day for whatever amount of time you determine is your threshold.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Canned water is great, but it's going to cost a lot to have two gallons per person per day for whatever amount of time you determine is your threshold.

We are 6 adults (as it stands) and 4 children 8 and under. That is a lot of water.
    We will not be on the move unless something catastrophic (floods/quakes) happens.
    Locally there is nothing to boil unless the pool is up and full. If winter we are on our stores.
    We have no place to store a large drum of water. Nothing conditioned anyway. We looked at rain barrels but moving/storage just to much.
    Our time line at current levels is just north of 2 weeks but that could be pushed with serious rationing.
    Hard to tell a 2 year old no water for a while.
    We have put in a lot of the juice drinks for the kids. They appear to have a decent shelf life and we are rotating them out.
    So many options. So many issues to prep for.
    Liquids are all important.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd store some powdered drink mixes for the short people. Adults might like them too, and if you have to add bleach at the time of use, kool-aid or instant lemonade or crystal light will make it taste a lot better.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    We are 6 adults (as it stands) and 4 children 8 and under. That is a lot of water.
    We will not be on the move unless something catastrophic (floods/quakes) happens.
    Locally there is nothing to boil unless the pool is up and full. If winter we are on our stores.
    We have no place to store a large drum of water. Nothing conditioned anyway. We looked at rain barrels but moving/storage just to much.
    Our time line at current levels is just north of 2 weeks but that could be pushed with serious rationing.
    Hard to tell a 2 year old no water for a while.
    We have put in a lot of the juice drinks for the kids. They appear to have a decent shelf life and we are rotating them out.
    So many options. So many issues to prep for.
    Liquids are all important.

Google bathtub water bladder.
    If you aren't on the move, you have far more options.
    15 minutes advance warning, and you're golden.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom