• Status
    Not open for further replies.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For what it's worth, I was not suggesting boiling water with a cap in place. I was concerned about it dangling in or near the fire by its tether.

All good advice!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    For what it's worth, I was not suggesting boiling water with a cap in place. I was concerned about it dangling in or near the fire by its tether.

All good advice!

Of course. And my innocent statement was not at all meant to make you smack your own forehead or feel the need to further explain. ;)

The cap tether on my bottle is removable.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Of course. And my innocent statement was not at all meant to make you smack your own forehead or feel the need to further explain. ;)

The cap tether on my bottle is removable.

Were I prone to smarta**ery, I might continue to explain that I did not suggest that you had, but I shall refrain!

A removable tether clearly solves the problem!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI

All good advice!
    Irrelevant due to the fact it is totally believable you would in fact do just that.......................in the name of science or gear testing of course. How are all the knife wounds doing?

I need a good, cheap substitute for citronella oil. I don't care about the citronella part, I am just wondering about substitutes for outdoor tiki torch or lamp oil. One thought of course is Kero. While kero is not cheap at $6 a gallon, Citronella oil here carries FIB summer markup so $18 is not unheard of! Next might be diesel. Finally, if I do find a safe substitute, then the idea is to add homegrown herbs that repel skeeters and see which one works best.

I use some of my swiss aluminum bottles from the volcano cook kits as torches with fiberglass wicks and homemade tops to keep water out. I will likely test kero today and expect it to work (I have seen it done on the internet!) tiki torch alternative fuel ideas -- Tiki Central

Pic from link above, he tested them all and did no blow up.

77130x50a194c9.jpg

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Irrelevant due to the fact it is totally believable you would in fact do just that.......................in the name of science or gear testing of course. How are all the knife wounds doing?

I'd be irate if what you said wasn't true.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I need a good, cheap substitute for citronella oil. I don't care about the citronella part, I am just wondering about substitutes for outdoor tiki torch or lamp oil. One thought of course is Kero. While kero is not cheap at $6 a gallon, Citronella oil here carries FIB summer markup so $18 is not unheard of! Next might be diesel. Finally, if I do find a safe substitute, then the idea is to add homegrown herbs that repel skeeters and see which one works best.

I use some of my swiss aluminum bottles from the volcano cook kits as torches with fiberglass wicks and homemade tops to keep water out. I will likely test kero today and expect it to work (I have seen it done on the internet!) tiki torch alternative fuel ideas -- Tiki Central

Pic from link above, he tested them all and did no blow up.

77130x50a194c9.jpg

No help for you now, Zoub but got to Wally World, K Mart, Meijer, etc in November and buy citronella gallons for $7-8. I stock up, rotate it in and out of my stash.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Did another hike through Turkey Run today, this time with the wife and 3 kids, all of us with our packs. I went through all of my water and had to break out the Sawyer Mini. It's been about 6 - 7 hours since I've drank the water so I'm sure (hoping) it worked like it should. It didn't do much for the taste though. I may have to look at something with an active charcoal filter to help with taste.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Did another hike through Turkey Run today, this time with the wife and 3 kids, all of us with our packs. I went through all of my water and had to break out the Sawyer Mini. It's been about 6 - 7 hours since I've drank the water so I'm sure (hoping) it worked like it should. It didn't do much for the taste though. I may have to look at something with an active charcoal filter to help with taste.

The Charcoal is also another layer of filter.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Went through my emergency car kit and get home bag this week. Swapped out the winter gear for some lighter summer stuff. Also rotated out the water.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I usually do a 50% then refill and then do the 2nd 50% and refill right away, stabilize then relax.

Got caught with full tank in the boss of me's car and then had to go to NJ for a week. Now I'm effed with no reserves so I have to pay up!

It takes half of the reserves to fill all 3 rigs. I rotate that out with oil changes and such. Still do not like to get that low.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    No help for you now, Zoub but got to Wally World, K Mart, Meijer, etc in November and buy citronella gallons for $7-8. I stock up, rotate it in and out of my stash.
    You sound like somebody who lives within an hour of stores like these. I am going to test Kero this weekend. I think it will work fine. If not, I will change my name to Rhino Jr. and have a flaming red rhino for my icon.

Cause' it's all about redneck science!

I also have have an idea for a redneck mosquito killer. If I have enough screen left over after I redo the screen doors I may rig it too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom