Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fired up the rototiller and got my work 50% done before it had a catastrophic failure and bled oil on the ground. When I have time, I will pull it apart and see what really happened. I might fix it or I might be in the market for a new roto tiller

Mine pitched a few years back. 44 years old and burned the valves......damn unleaded gas.
    Harbor freight....Honda 5HP Chinese knock off was less money than fixing the old side shaft Briggs. Made a simple adapter plate and mounted the engine. Ne engine starts 2nd pull every time. It is a tilling fool.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Mine pitched a few years back. 44 years old and burned the valves......damn unleaded gas.
    Harbor freight....Honda 5HP Chinese knock off was less money than fixing the old side shaft Briggs. Made a simple adapter plate and mounted the engine. Ne engine starts 2nd pull every time. It is a tilling fool.
    I knew I should have purchased a new tiller implement when I purchased the new tractor.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

+1 on the HF engines. The Chinese have the Honda engine down pat. I have a couple of the generators and they have been flawless (knock wood). Oil change intervals a re a bit tight (20 hrs., IIRC) but oil is cheap.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    +1 on the HF engines. The Chinese have the Honda engine down pat. I have a couple of the generators and they have been flawless (knock wood). Oil change intervals a re a bit tight (20 hrs., IIRC) but oil is cheap.

I run a small amount of additive in the oil on mine. I realize this engine will not run as long as the Briggs I took off of it but it does do the work with no issues. I can bury the tiller and it just keeps plugging along.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Tilled and planted the garden...now that it looks like it MIGHT not frost again tonight...planted some blue berry bushes, strawberries, asparagus, lettuce, radishes, other stuff.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I'll be ordering some cans for long term storage.

If you're a coffee drinker use those old coffee cans! I have a dozen or so filled with a paper lunch bag with about a Tbl Spoon of desicant in the top of each. All you need is air tight and controlled environment. I have ammo cans too but they cost a bit when you start thinking about storing large quantities. The only thing they are really really good for is having a handle and being able to toss them in the back of a Deuce and a half without worrying about them coming open. For local storage there are many options.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Did 7 miles in the woods with my main GHB, about 20 lbs with summer gear in it. It was really humid today, and I'm now considering getting a bladder to fit the compartment on my pack, at least in warm weather. Went through 64 oz of water pretty quick. I'd still carry the bottled water, but adding a bladder would be extra weight I wouldn't have a problem hauling.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Broke down some of my 1st aid supplies for individual kits. Maintaining the large kits and rotating stock is time consuming with multiple people!

Bob

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We found some pancake pre-mix. 10# very well sealed bag. Looks like great shelf life. Add water.......just water. Makes a very good pancake.
    Anything that will taste good/easy to store/decent shelf life/easy to prepare seems like a good addition. We have good maple syrup on the shelf as well.
    Sams club has this. Daily chef If memory serves.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Don't forget the salt. We have about 20lb of 'real salt' on the shelf and keep that much there. It's from the Pleistocene era I think...and tastes really good in our food.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep. Even went SCUBA diving close to there in a volcanic tube...interesting dive table when you don't go below about 2k in altitude and the water temp never gets below about 90 deg F. It's also very corrosive to the dive gear.

Here's the link to their site: Real SaltReal Salt

Thanks.

We buy sea Salt (or so it is supposed to be) in bulk. Kosher salt as well.
    Interesting link.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom