• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    Well... I haven't done it yet, but tomorrow I am going to see about a bigger house with enough room to stockpile stuff without cluttering up the place, a fireplace, my own woods, enough land and privacy to do whatever the frick I want any time I want, up to and including build my own range, and generally have the ability to be more self-sustaining. Now that's my idea of heaven. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but wish me luck anyway!

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Well... I haven't done it yet, but tomorrow I am going to see about a bigger house with enough room to stockpile stuff without cluttering up the place, a fireplace, my own woods, enough land and privacy to do whatever the frick I want any time I want, up to and including build my own range, and generally have the ability to be more self-sustaining. Now that's my idea of heaven. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but wish me luck anyway!

Awesome! That's the only way to live (for me anyway)

I picked up 5 more chicks, to be layer hens eventually. The fact that 3 were "rare breeds" and cost several times more isn't the typical way to prep, but it keeps my 14-yr old daugher involved and that's the best prepping of all. She's on her first week of a 2-week spring break, so she's the main chick caretaker. She's raised newborn chicks and ducks, and has never lost one.

The downside of course is that she names them. We have an agreement now that she won't raise meat birds. She also has to help build the "hen retirement house" and help plant and harvest winter feed. I don't so much mind if we don't stew an unproductive hen (there isn't much meat there anyway) but I do mind the work or cost of continuing to feed them.

Meanwhile, she's proud of her chickens, takes care of them, and finds egg customers.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso

Welp, I'm glad I didn't get my hopes up cause this place was a D-U-M-P! The land, though, my GOD! So beautiful. Hills, ravines, a creek.. If I didn't know it was NWI, I'd swear I was in Tennessee. It looked like Hickok45's back yard. Unfortunately, the house while big enough, needed about $100k in work just to be liveable. What a shame. The search continues...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Welp, I'm glad I didn't get my hopes up cause this place was a D-U-M-P! The land, though, my GOD! So beautiful. Hills, ravines, a creek.. If I didn't know it was NWI, I'd swear I was in Tennessee. It looked like Hickok45's back yard. Unfortunately, the house while big enough, needed about $100k in work just to be liveable. What a shame. The search continues...

What county was this in? There are hills in northern Indiana???

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    mid to north Porter Co. Yeah there's quite a bit of hilly areas as you get closer to the lake.

Okay...that gives me a fairly good idea. I was afraid you had been visiting Starke County...any houses here should be inspected VERY CLOSELY before buying them. Inspections have only been happening for about 10 years here and there are some very interesting structures.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom