• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    Yesterday ebates (please see the internet shopping thread, lol) showed walmart having a 5% rebate so I stocked up on a few things from augason farms. I have been wanting to get some hard red wheat and some white to try my hand at making bread and it was on rollback plus the 5% rebate and free shipping so I got that and a few other things. I have been so busy for awhile that I am needing to get back to putting things up and learning to cook what I put up (for the new things) and getting a good rotation going. We have just been eating out of and not replacing my supplies. Also wanting to try and balance a way to eat healthier while still being able to have plenty of whatever on hand incase we need it. If that makes any since.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Did 2.5 miles today with an advanced 3 day combat pack from ArmyNavy sales. Had about 26 lbs in the pack, and am really happy with how it handled, very comfortable, no moving around on my back, just there for the ride. I did a relatively flat trail, but it was the first time out with the pack. I believe this will become my new GHB until I find a lighter, less military looking bag. I also have a Buck sideswipe sling pack coming, but I think it may be too small for making it my main GHB/truck bag.

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    Clean a lot of brass and sized for reloading. Also trying to rotate out home canned goods so I can start cleaning jars to use them again this summer.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Rotated and updated pack gear, tested stoves, stored winter gear, re packed the trailer, Shifted some gear to my sons, sorted and balanced the food stores and pulled items that are expiring. Purchased more silver rounds. Getting my dillons set up for the shooting season after a long, cold winter.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    2015-03-11%2011.17.59_zps6cu26oz2.jpg

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    Placed 10 taps last week in some sugar maples, so far got ~23 gallons of sap, then after HOURS of boiling we got ~ 3 quarts of syrup. Did most of the boiling inside... bad idea. Built a small stove outside to try with wood heat, will post pics later.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Placed 10 taps last week in some sugar maples, so far got ~23 gallons of sap, then after HOURS of boiling we got ~ 3 quarts of syrup. Did most of the boiling inside... bad idea. Built a small stove outside to try with wood heat, will post pics later.
    I bought a propane fish fryer at BassPro, on sale around $30, to brew my beer with. Works great, brings water to a boil in minutes. 3 quarts of real maple syrup is better than NO real maple syrup. :yesway:

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    Got flashlights cleaned with new batteries and more oil for my oil lamps which paid off tonight because the power was out for a while. Fired up the lamps and set around and just relaxed. Then the light came back on in a few hours and back to what we call normal.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

So is this the time of year to tap maples, or is it too late now? or does it matter?

I guess what I'm asking is do you have a quick reference on how to get started. I realize it results in a small amount of syrup but I'd like to at least know how to do it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom