Not open for further replies.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I stocked up on bandages a couple years ago when my favorite brand became scarce in the pharmacies. I cleaned some shelves and ordered some bulk like from Amazon. With luck, my kids may inherit these. :)

I prefer Nexcare brand waterproof. 41O43wA07uL.jpg

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I stocked up on bandages a couple years ago when my favorite brand became scarce in the pharmacies. I cleaned some shelves and ordered some bulk like from Amazon. With luck, my kids may inherit these. :)

I prefer Nexcare brand waterproof. View attachment 35840

Hmmm.... you may want to be careful where you store these for long-term. I don't know if you would need oxygen absorbers. I'm not organized enough to have actually stored anything that way.

I do have some things 10-20 years old in my vet clinic that the previous owner left. Many of those that have any kind of adhesive get brittle even when in original sealed packaging. This building is fairly well controlled in terms of temp and humidity, at least moreso than your average basement.

What do other people do for tape? That might work.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I must be easier to please!

Curad, 3M, and the Walmart & CVS brands work pretty well. The box of 10,000 from STAPLES for $1 only works if you put a Band-Aid over them. Heh.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Last night wife and I switched vehicles so I could get kids home while she was out. On her way home she was listening to WOWO because that's where my radio was left on and she was upset when she heard about what the gov is trying to do with the internet. I asked her if she'd heard about what they're trying with the XM855 ammo and she wasn't aware, so I explained. We had a really nice talk about what could happen and what we should be looking at for preparing for such an event. It's taken a lot of years and patience but my wife is really starting to understand what and why I'm doing some of the things I'm doing. I can't say enough about how great of a talk I had with her last night and the best prep I can think of is to get her on board.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    All those medical /first aid devices have expiration dates, when sterility is questionable.

It depends. For the type of packing we are talking about with bandages, etc even the sterile packages aren't that sturdy. Any moisture penetrating is going to make them non-sterile pretty quickly. Other labeled products like suture material in a sealed plastic are probably no more likely to become contaminated than a can of food. Expiration dates mean a testing requirement was met "until" a specific date, not that anyone checked to see when it actually changes.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hmmm.... you may want to be careful where you store these for long-term. I don't know if you would need oxygen absorbers. I'm not organized enough to have actually stored anything that way.

I do have some things 10-20 years old in my vet clinic that the previous owner left. Many of those that have any kind of adhesive get brittle even when in original sealed packaging. This building is fairly well controlled in terms of temp and humidity, at least moreso than your average basement.

What do other people do for tape? That might work.

I've kept different kinds of first-aid tape for more than 10 years in zip top bags without any issues. Ultimately those tapes are a convenience and luxury item to me. If I need tape, I can use duct tape or gorilla tape.

I also have Band-Aids in the original metal box with price stickers from Hook's, which tells you the vintage . . . OLD! They still work fine. A lot of others have not survived as well, perhaps because they were made with lesser materials as time marched forward.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I started using Fry's daily promo emails to stock up on water. I can usually get a 24 pack for $1. I buy whatever the limit is and have extra water easily and cheaply.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Starting to get together 2 get home bags with takedown Ruger 10/22 and SR22 for each car and then some basic survival gear. Also started stocking up more on water for the house.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Bought a welding torch. I'm only 2" from my neighbors underground bunker....and they're not home..I think..OK, I'll go back to the Break Room...

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Starting to get together 2 get home bags with takedown Ruger 10/22 and SR22 for each car and then some basic survival gear. Also started stocking up more on water for the house.

How did you decide to pack the takedowns with the get-home bags? The bag that the takedown comes in is nice for the gun itself, but I haven't figured out whether to strap it on a big pack, or repack the gun in another pack. Ideas?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We've been hitting a lot of department stores, taking advantage of clearance priced winter clothing. I've bought several complete sets of base layer stuff recently, some from Bass Pro, some from Dillards, some from Gordmanns. Got several Under Armor shirts today at Dillards for less than half normal price. Now's the time to stock up on things that will make next winter more tolerable.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    found some clearance camo rainwear at Gander Mountain a few days ago. It looks like good quality; I'll use it for hunting and maybe hiking as well.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    How did you decide to pack the takedowns with the get-home bags? The bag that the takedown comes in is nice for the gun itself, but I haven't figured out whether to strap it on a big pack, or repack the gun in another pack. Ideas?

I am going to get a second strap and use it as a backpack. Basically it is going to be enough for a day or two. Tarp shelter, fire starting, extra ammo, mora knife, a 1200 calorie food bar like the Mayday brand or 2. The biggest problem that I can't figure out yet is a container for water.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I took a short (3/4 mile) hike today in about 10 inches of snow. I wanted to try out my Hitek altitude IV hikers that I bought about a year ago, but have never really worn in any snow to speak of, and a pair of Spyder core sweater gloves I bought at Dicks with a gift card I got from work.

Temp was 19 degrees when I left the house, not much wind by the house, but a short distance away on the trail, it was blowing around 20 mph, fortunately I had my wraparound clear safety glasses to keep my eyeballs from freezing.

First the gloves: This is the exact ones Spyder Men's Core Sweater Gloves | DICK'S Sporting Goods
    I chose them because I thought they'd be nice to wear when I'm just out for short times on cold days, and that's a pretty good assessment, my hands were cold before I got off the road onto the trail, which starts about 300 yards from my driveway. They are comfortable to wear, and supposedly allow the wearer to operate touch screens while wearing, but didn't work on my Iphone. They're probably fine for short trips in the cold, like in a car, but not for prolonged periods out in the cold and wind. I could feel wind blowing through them.

The Hitek altitude IVs did fantastic! Comfortable, warm and kept my feet completely dry. I haven't really worn these enough to break em in, so I need to work on that, but for the money (I'm thinking around $65 at Basspro last year), I really like these. I realize they aren't snow boots, but unless I was going to be out in deep snow all day, I'd have no problem wearing them for chores around the yard, or short winter hikes.

Sidenote: Part of the trail I walked crosses the top of an earthen floodwall, a really tall floodwall, and with the amount of snow we had here, it was difficult to blaze a trail through it without getting near the edge and sliding away 100' or so. It was a lot easier coming back, as I could still see where I had walked, but I could see how things could really go to **** fast if you weren't careful.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom