• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Finally got the kerosene lanterns I ordered. 72 hour max burn time between fills, and large enough to knock the chill off a small green house. Will test them sat am. Now I need kerosene. ....

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Finally got the kerosene lanterns I ordered. 72 hour max burn time between fills, and large enough to knock the chill off a small green house. Will test them sat am. Now I need kerosene. ....

I bought 4 of the Jupiter lanterns last year. I decided that running more than one of them inside the house at any one time put more kerosene odor in the house than I cared for and the small amount of light they gave wasn't worth the hassle of constantly having to mess with the wick to keep them burning cleanly. Just because they can burn 72 hours between fillings doesn't mean you can light it and walk away. Wicks needed trimming and shaping every 8 hours or so more or less depending on what you burn in them. Kero from the gas station clogged up the wick faster. Ultra purified kero went a lot longer between wick cleaning/trimming.

I ended up buying an Alladin and while it still is fussy, it gives a LOT of light for the amount of kero burned and puts out more heat than a single Jupiter. Once I get the Jupiters cleaned up I'm going to sell three of them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought 4 of the Jupiter lanterns last year. I decided that running more than one of them inside the house at any one time put more kerosene odor in the house than I cared for and the small amount of light they gave wasn't worth the hassle of constantly having to mess with the wick to keep them burning cleanly. Just because they can burn 72 hours between fillings doesn't mean you can light it and walk away. Wicks needed trimming and shaping every 8 hours or so more or less depending on what you burn in them. Kero from the gas station clogged up the wick faster. Ultra purified kero went a lot longer between wick cleaning/trimming.

I ended up buying an Alladin and while it still is fussy, it gives a LOT of light for the amount of kero burned and puts out more heat than a single Jupiter. Once I get the Jupiters cleaned up I'm going to sell three of them.

I finally have the wicks in place on the antique oil lamps we have. Never burned them and do not believe the Parents did either. Not exactly sure what is the cleanest oil to use in them.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Churchmouse, we have two nice glass lamps for inside the house, we only use the parifin based lamp oil. No smoking, fumes or odor to speak of. No soot either. It's expensive but worth it when you're just dealing with a short term power outage. I bought the Jupiter lamps for long term preps and we will use purified kerosene in them . I plan to put back 5 gallons of k 1 for the SHTF , in a blue jerry can.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Churchmouse, we have two nice glass lamps for inside the house, we only use the parifin based lamp oil. No smoking, fumes or odor to speak of. No soot either. It's expensive but worth it when you're just dealing with a short term power outage. I bought the Jupiter lamps for long term preps and we will use purified kerosene in them . I plan to put back 5 gallons of k 1 for the SHTF , in a blue jerry can.

Perfect. Thanks.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Produced an updated document listing all banking/securities/insurance/etc accounts. Included contact numbers, websites w/login info/etc. placed in binder with critical documents. SSN cards/birth certificates/passports/will/etc. Placed in fireproof safe at home. Considering adding copies for safe deposit box at bank.

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Produced an updated document listing all banking/securities/insurance/etc accounts. Included contact numbers, websites w/login info/etc. placed in binder with critical documents. SSN cards/birth certificates/passports/will/etc. Placed in fireproof safe at home. Considering adding copies for safe deposit box at bank.

thanks. that reminded me i need to update my info.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    thanks. that reminded me i need to update my info.

We did ours last month. Cleaned out and organized the filling cabinet and made copy's of critical info. Put a complete file together and it is with the daughter. She will see to our final business if and when that time comes.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What happens when you run out of cookies? Wouldn't a better long term prep be to stock-up on Girl Scouts and enslave them to make cookies for you every day?

We have to focus on sustainability!

One step ahead of you, I have been holding the Keebler Elves as hostages for years. They make their cookies for food and water.

On a more serious note, the wife and I were talking last niht about getting a Will done for us. Her grandma just had a major stroke. They never got their estate stuff in order and they're likely going to be completely financially cleaned out in a very short amount of time. My wife and I have been witness to this and we're going to make sure our kids & family don't have to deal with these kinds of issues for us.

Down 10 pounds so far on the diet.

Tested latest rifle, a precision ar-15. Consistant hits at 600 yards. Cycled in team drills nearly perfect. Very happy with it, but still have work to do.

Ran shotgun in drills, just trying to stay fresh with it. Very happy, but when a hot shotgun barrel gets snow on it and cools down I learned how quickly ice will form on the gun. Just another take away from actually using my guns in adverse conditions and not just the nice casual days on the range.

Popped a sport smoke during one of the drills and found that they don't do very well in the thick heavy snow. Another take away and lesson learned.

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    We did ours last month. Cleaned out and organized the filling cabinet and made copy's of critical info. Put a complete file together and it is with the daughter. She will see to our final business if and when that time comes.

Good deal. I'm working on digital copies to store off-site. I'm moving at the speed of government.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Finally got back to being able to do 100 pushups! Had a couple of apps that I tried, geared towards hitting the goal of 100, but quickly tired of them and deleted, just went back to the old timey way of busting out as many as I could do, and got to my goal way faster than I think I would have using the app programs. Back in my younger days, up till I was around 30, I did 1000 a day, but got away from it for quite a while. I'm 48 now, so I think being able to do 100 straight puts me in a pretty small minority.

Been doing lots of time on the elliptical, and the trails around here, and seen a great improvement in my lung capacity, as well. Later today, I'm doing a mile and a half trail with my loaded GHB.

Update: It was cold today, and pretty windy, so I opted to wear my heavier coat on my walk. I had to make a few adjustments to my pack (an "advanced 3 day" pack from ArmyNavy sales) to allow for the heavier clothing, and also had to wear a shoulder rig (thanks Indiucky) and carry my Bisley instead of my regular EDC on my belt, as the packs waiste belt made access to the belt carried edc impossible. Gonna have to get a shoulder rig for the SR9 to keep in the car, in case I actually have to CARRY my GHB. Anyhoo, the pack did fine over the mile and a half at a pretty fast pace, and I was pretty happy with not being overly tired after the walk. One thing I did have to remedy was a rattling from inside the pack, which was caused by a multi tool in one of the inner pockets banging into a mess kit. Tomorrow is supposed to hit 60 degrees, so I'll carry the pack on the same route with lighter clothing, and see if any problems pop up.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom