• Status
    Not open for further replies.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Froze about 2 weeks worth of chili and my wife's awesome ham-n-bean soup in single-serving containers last weekend. I plan on eating like a king when SHTF!

Might whip up another batch (out 2 gallons) of chili this weekend and try canning it. I've never canned a "finished product" like chili - just the raw stuff (beans, tomatoes, etc...). Can't be all that much different.

Danger Boy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Clark county
    Put a 5 gallon bucket in the closet... When I get some super deals from the store... I'll just pitch them in the bucket... When it's full repeat. Had a few get full thus far.
    Deals to date:
    1/2 price organic soy milk 5 gallons total
    25 cent almond snickers 10
    75 cent tuna in oil packets 10
    50 cent chef ravioli 10

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Am building a stall in the barn I can hear...that way I can keep working on prepper projects all winter this year. Got lots of metal work/welding planned.
    Gonna ambush the son_in_law tomorrow so he can help me set a wall up....before Thanksgiving
    Dinner.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Got the deep hand pump well done! Water flows great!

picture.php

picture.php

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That is perfect. Your water issues are forever dealt with and you can get all the Cardio work out you need with out a membership at the Gym........:D

Sorry you missed out on the phones. So did we.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    My brother I went out to a friends place and shot. My brother got to shoot his new AR, I got to shoot my 308, my son shot the AR, Glock, and the 12 Guage with slugs. We had a blast! Great time bonding since we haven't seen each other for 5 years.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Me and my step daughter went to lowes this afternoon, wasn't crowded at all. I bought six 5 gallon, food grade buckets, with lids, four mini mag LED flashlights, and four 30 packs of AA batteries.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Spent some more time trying to get a fire started using a feral rod. About all I accomplished was not having the kids hear me swearing. I suck with a feral rod and I need to keep working on it.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Spent some more time trying to get a fire started using a feral rod. About all I accomplished was not having the kids hear me swearing. I suck with a feral rod and I need to keep working on it.

Are you using charred cloth?If not try using some.I use a small mint tin with a pin whole in it to make char cloth.I use t-shirt patches mostly,any tight nit cotton will work though.
    Cut them to fit in the tin and place the tin in a fire.Take it out of the fire when almost no smoke is coming out of the hole(small hole made with a nail in the lid...SMALL).The char should be fragile but not fall apart.If it falls apart very easily you over cooked it and need to try again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW_m7tKTMK8&feature=related

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Try what smoking man said, then when you get that part down focus less on using the ferrous rod and more time learning to find and select good tinder in the field.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My wife collects all the dryer lint and puts in in sealed freezer baggies. With dry leaves and as TJ mentioned...proper tinder it is easier to get a good base fire started. Also you need to shelter your tinder. Block out the wind and not over load the initial coal you may get started. It is an art to get one going with the rod but not impossible.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Grabill is close by

We went to Grabill Country Meats and Sams. Couple cases of meat, some more supplies from Sam's and 5 buckets with seals to store with. The Owner of Grabill meats was very friendly and very supportive of preppers. Also got the last of my onions in from the garden and got it plowed for the winter. Added 2 truck loads of manure to get it ready for next spring.

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    when S H T F.

we got a small wood stove, made from old well casing, ammo, and put away 6 more buckets of saeled food, rice, beans, oats and such. now we need more wood for stove. always something more to do.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Bought Kerosene for our heaters before the price goes up. Still $4.29/gal, better than $5.00. Got some new lanterns and replacement wicks too.

Aladdin lamps?
    We love them because the fill two needs in a power outage.Light equivalent to a 60 watt bulb and they put out 9000 btu of heat each.They also sip fuel(kerosene) burning a quart every 7-8 hours.When properly burning they have no kerosene smell at all.
    They are costly compared to wick lamps,but there is no comparison on fuel usage,light,and heat output.They are roughly 80 times the efficiency of a standard oil wick lamp.
    Aladdin Oil Lamps UNDER $150.00

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I didn't use char cloth or cotton balls ouzing in vaseline or anything like that. I found some super dry lightweight wood that I cut into almost as easily as a paper towel. I tried doing it that way but I either totally suck with a feral rod or I bought a bad one. Since it makes sparks I'm going to blame myself.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom