• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Yeah definitely trying to learn a lot of new things. Bugging out is not really an option, too big of a family and nowhere to go. Chances of survival in my little community would be much better than bugging out for us. All natural resources near by and good neighbors, but, that assumes we don't have to move before shtf.
    I can't help but notice, in the past few years it has primarily been an "if" or an "in case". Lately it seems to have progressed to a "when" pretty much across the board. I sense that many are awakening to the reality that it is more or less inevitable.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I can't help but notice, in the past few years it has primarily been an "if" or an "in case". Lately it seems to have progressed to a "when" pretty much across the board. I sense that many are awakening to the reality that it is more or less inevitable.

Our situation is pretty stable where we are at. The people we rent from have had the place in their family since the 50's. It's paid for and in good shape. But I want to have a plan just in case something happens and we do have to move. Like everything else I guess I am planning for it hoping it's unnecessary.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Going deer hunting in the morning for the first time in about 20 years. Need to make sure that I can feed my family.
    This is a very good point! I have not hunted anything in 20 or 25 years, and have been considering the ramifications of my decisions a lot lately. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti hunting, I've just had soooo many other things going on for years, I've put hunting aside. I am fortunate that I live in an area that is heavily populated by all types of game, and within eyesight of the house.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    This is a very good point! I have not hunted anything in 20 or 25 years, and have been considering the ramifications of my decisions a lot lately. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti hunting, I've just had soooo many other things going on for years, I've put hunting aside. I am fortunate that I live in an area that is heavily populated by all types of game, and within eyesight of the house.

Thats how I've been. I feel that it's a must to be able to provide food for myself and family. I've been reading on how to treat and smoke for long term storage for a bad situation.

You are lucky that you have the resources close. I have to travel to hunt but that's ok.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Brought home the new (to me) cultivator...expected a POS...actually in nice shape. Good paint
    and only three broken tines (spring type). Should be no trouble finding parts. Not bad for $100
    Wife cleaned her garden and picked the last beans for shelling . Now to fertilize with horse poo
    And cover with straw. Almost done outside this year.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I put up a chord of firewood and practiced cooking with the barrel stove today. I make this AMAZING potato soup but it takes a FULL day so it only happens once a year. There are so many different steps and methods involved in preparing each of the components that I use it as an exercise for SHTF....Anyone that can make this soup properly with nothing more than a wood fire and kitchen utensils is probably good to go. There's baking, roasting, frying, boiling, and simmering all involved and some parts get cooked more than two ways before they are ready to add to the simmering pot. Ive eaten 4 bowls so far and the Mrs. has had 3 since 7:15pm. I really hope some makes it to the freezer this year!

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    After thinking about it for a handfull of years, I finally purchased a 7000W genny this past week. This Saturday I ran it with a space heater and heat gun for load for over 2 hours. All outlets tested well with a steady 120V and 240V.
    Next I need to get a breaker box interlock and an exterior plug installed and build a proper doghouse for the genny outside. With luck, and some holiday time off work in the next two months, I hope to get that done before there's a need to use the genny.

Last edited:

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Splitting the final amount of firewood now and the well diggers showed up this afternoon and got everything in place for our hand pump well. They start drilling in the morning! And on a side note I cleaned out my truck from a tornado called "my kids" so I can actually get to my bug out stuff if needed!

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Bought 20gal. of gas today ...will treat tomorrow. 4 days of genny power...not a SHTF prep...just a winter prep. Also need to install genny battery...soon. Don't want to fight that mess in the dark again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wife is really pounding the stores and getting our reserves back up to spec. She let the water get low and we are addressing that along with canned goods.
    Been shooting a lot of late so the ammo has a small dent in it. Back on that as well.

Last edited:

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    For the next couple of months I'll be working a lot of overtime. It's the busy part of the year for my job, and I can expect about a 15% increase in my paycheck from my overtime. Half of that will go to training classes I want to take this coming year, and the rest will be split between other preps.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom