• Status
    Not open for further replies.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    We got a free tree as well. The 16 year old grand kid got in trouble last week.
    That is his job now splitting all the wood using a wedge and stacking it. He had to load and unload all the trucks of wood.

That's awesome, you just did that boy a favor in so many ways.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Well, I have nothing left to beat on you about....darn

Good work.

Wow I am Jealous...I thought we had a lot of wood in the drive way.

We got a free tree as well. The 16 year old grand kid got in trouble last week.
    That is his job now splitting all the wood using a wedge and stacking it. He had to load and unload all the trucks of wood.

It's good for a young man to learn what work is! Luckily I don't have to use discipline yet, my son loves to get out and work with me, I think he would rather split wood then go to school lol!

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    The wife is really starting to get into prepping. Other than our business website, she is starting to take the lead on a lot of things. Even though I'm technically out of worl, we stocked up on 2 weeks worth of food in the kitchen and pantry. And she has started putting away water in the used gallon jugs from Milk and baby water. We put back about 10 gallons last week and we're steadily putting more away on a regular basis. She is even saving the old mayo and pb jars to re-use for other tasks. And I'm setting up and modifying some spreadsheets so that we can keep track of our supplies and be able to rotate out food for use based on expiration dates.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    The wife is really starting to get into prepping. Other than our business website, she is starting to take the lead on a lot of things. Even though I'm technically out of worl, we stocked up on 2 weeks worth of food in the kitchen and pantry. And she has started putting away water in the used gallon jugs from Milk and baby water. We put back about 10 gallons last week and we're steadily putting more away on a regular basis. She is even saving the old mayo and pb jars to re-use for other tasks. And I'm setting up and modifying some spreadsheets so that we can keep track of our supplies and be able to rotate out food for use based on expiration dates.

Be careful using the gallon jugs from milk and baby water for storage like that. They aren't designed to be used for any type of long term storage. They make them now to start breaking down after only a short time, one year I believe, maybe less. :dunno:

Oh and I bought a little app for my iPhone called prep & pantry. It allows you to scan the UPC of and item and enter the quantity on hand, minimum quantity wanted on hand as well as expiration dates, as well as location it's stored in. As you use an item you remove it from inventory. When the level falls below your minimum level you set, then it adds it to a shopping list for you.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head

If you can get them free you will find that two liter pop bottles will give you a longer shelf life on your water. The milk jugs are prone to breaking down. I keep a bunch of two liter bottles empty just for extra storage when I need/want it.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Be careful using the gallon jugs from milk and baby water for storage like that. They aren't designed to be used for any type of long term storage. They make them now to start breaking down after only a short time, one year I believe, maybe less. :dunno:

Oh and I bought a little app for my iPhone called prep & pantry. It allows you to scan the UPC of and item and enter the quantity on hand, minimum quantity wanted on hand as well as expiration dates, as well as location it's stored in. As you use an item you remove it from inventory. When the level falls below your minimum level you set, then it adds it to a shopping list for you.

I didn't know that about the jugs, I'll have to pay attention to those and see how they last. I've seen the app for prep & pantry. Unfortunately, my wife and I are not real big fans of smart phones. We've only recently started texting to each other and family. So it's a matter of pen & paper coupled with the desktop or laptop computers.

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Got a second 17 lb propane tank. I'll be set for a while longer and wont have to run to the store next time I run out of gas while cooking steaks on the grill

Rob52pars

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    Demotte, IN
    Menards has cases of bottled water 2 for $5, so i stocked up. I also bought a coleman camping stove and stocked up on propane tanks for it. My wife went to the store and bought more canned goods for our long term storage. I also added another 200rds of .223 to my long term ammo storage.

Danger Boy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Clark county
    Got an additional battery operated carbon monoxide detector and alarm off Amazon $18... These are a life saver.... Keep one in your vehicle and make sure to place the battery in it... If you have to stay in you vehicle for a long time for heating make sure you have it handy...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Reloaded about 500 of 5.56 and ~300 in .45
    Stored away 20 more gallons of gasoline
    How do you store gasoline long term? How many total gallons do you store/plan to store?

I store 1000 gallons of diesel but I'm afraid to store too much gasoline. Generally only have about 15 gallons for the lawn tractor, sidebyside, power equipment. Perhaps I'm missing something.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How do you store gasoline long term? How many total gallons do you store/plan to store?

I store 1000 gallons of diesel but I'm afraid to store too much gasoline. Generally only have about 15 gallons for the lawn tractor, sidebyside, power equipment. Perhaps I'm missing something.

We have the plastic 5 gallon containers used in the racing community. They are tough as hell and seal up nicely. We had several from our racing days so that is what we started with. We pick up a few more every so often and fill them up, add sta-bil and put them into rotation. We use the oldest fuel and keep a rotation going. We use 5 to 10 gallons a week so everything stays fresh. These are spread out in several places for safety and security. There is also (2) 55 gal drums that used to hold racing gas stored off site. We use hi-volume electric fuel pumps to move the fuel from these drums.

Total storage exceeds 200 gallons.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County

Same question here. How do you store your diesel? I currently keep 50 gal of gas and 20 of diesel. Currently I store mine in the plastic 5 gal blitz cans stored in an out building. But I would like to store more diesel.

Matthew_DM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Basically I store it like churchmouse said above with sta-bil. I have quite a few 5 gallon plastic and metal jerry cans. But I also have two 100 gallon tanks I got at a farm auction. I try to cycle through it regularly, a few gallons of the older stuff for every fill up in the car.

But I've also got a few cans of gasoline that I'm testing for shelf life. I recently tried about 5 gallons of gasoline that sat for 2 years and it seemed to run my car just fine. Got a couple less miles to the gallon, but I think that's a fair trade. I'd love to pick up some more tanks...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom