Not open for further replies.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Bought a gas stove and had a gas line ran to the kitchen...at least we can cook if the electric goes out.

Did the same a few years back...be sure to have a backup or two though. If the 'lectricity is out due to an earthquake, you may not have gas either.

My most recent prep acquisition is as another backup per above...I bought a two-burner fold-up Sterno "stove" (vintage, still in the original box) at Goodwill outlet...for those that don't know, you can buy Sterno by the case at Sam's club...also found a good fleece sleeping bag liner at GWO.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Did the same a few years back...be sure to have a backup or two though. If the 'lectricity is out due to an earthquake, you may not have gas either.

My most recent prep acquisition is as another backup per above...I bought a two-burner fold-up Sterno "stove" (vintage, still in the original box) at Goodwill outlet...for those that don't know, you can buy Sterno by the case at Sam's club...also found a good fleece sleeping bag liner at GWO.

We have the back up our old Coleman camping stove, my next investment is a Kelly cooker, they are great, can use just about anything for fuel.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We have the back up our old Coleman camping stove, my next investment is a Kelly cooker, they are great, can use just about anything for fuel.

There are so many Coleman stoves and lanterns out there to be had for $5.00 at garages sales ect...

I have made it a point to learn everything I could about fixing and restoring them.If you ever have one that does not work properly it is usually an easy fix.Information and questions can be answered here Welcome to the CCF

Another advantage of Colman fuel(Naphtha)is stability.It is the MOST stable petroleum fuel.I have used 15 year old Colman straight out of a can in lanterns and stoves,with no performance loss or side effects.It will never caramelize like gasoline.It also works great as parts cleaner as it dissolves carbon,oil,and sludge very well.

We have plenty of Coleman fuel in our preps.As well as 20+ stoves and I do not know how many lanterns lol.

For Prep stoves they are tough to beat.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Someone is shooting of fireworks somewhere close, I thought the zombie apocalypse had started but I was wrong!

We had the same thing here on Saturday afternoon. It was not fireworks. The hoodlums a street behind us were being shot at and we saw them running for there lives. I almost had one by the collar but the little bastardie was too fast. My son almost got one as well. There are 3 of them and they are as the 3 stooges. See one, the others are near by. Estimate 15/16 yrs. old. LEO was on scene quick and knew who they were. I told him where they went (MOMS HOUSE as always) and he could do nothing. LEO's hands are tied. I am thinking I was a bit rough on the responding officer as he was doing all he could. Pissed off is not the way I would describe my feelings. This is the 3rd time they have shot up this house. WTF.
    We will be shooting back if ever they offer a viable target. There is a loss here. Honer, morality and value of life. These idiots have none. The entire area is being held hostage by the activity's of these 3 freaks. LEO know's who they are and yet they are still wandering at will. This has to end. If we could find out who wants them dead we would snatch them up, deliver them and be done with this.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I've been a bit busy the last couple weeks. My contract ended at work and I'm looking for work again while collecting unemployment (first time ever). But on the side, I'm starting up a preparation website and lining up sources for long term storge food, kits, gear, etc. So hopefully when the business takes off a bit, I can use it to fund my own preps.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington

The bag liner sounds good. Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet, but what's GWO?

ecross0351

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    I had 3 wisdom teeth pulled this week. I know it soesnt seem like a prep but, I've been ignoring them for almost 2 yrs try save for other preps but, realized if all else fails I can trade for supplies or anything depending on what Shtf but I wouldn't want to have my teeth pulled post shtf... :twocents:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I had 3 wisdom teeth pulled this week. I know it soesnt seem like a prep but, I've been ignoring them for almost 2 yrs try save for other preps but, realized if all else fails I can trade for supplies or anything depending on what Shtf but I wouldn't want to have my teeth pulled post shtf... :twocents:

I did that a couple months back for exactly the same reason. I consider it money well spent on preparing.

Had Lasik done a few weeks after as well. Figured I can always find something to magnify for readers, but not an exact prescription so I could see distances. It is taking me some time to get used to not being able to see up close, but in the long run it was worth it.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Another camping trip this weekend and we got to test some new gear. This time not so successful. I failed to replace the summer fleece sleeping bag with the more robust mummy. This guaranteed a sleepless, cold night. I brought plenty of layers for the hike and trip purpose, but it wasn't enough for the tent/bag combo. My eldest man child's feet got cold in his mummy sack so I gave up my thick wool socks to keep him warm and doubled up cotton socks for me. We had chili for dinner that gave both of us some serious heartburn so we both tossed and turned, but mine was for 2 reasons.

Things to add to the bag:
    Antacid
    2 more pairs of wool socks
    Larger cup- Mixing instant coffee in a 1 cup serving size was rough.
    Smaller water filter
    More/stronger coffee option-today sucked when I ran out.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I started repacking my emergency bag. I tryed to take a lot of stuff out and lighten it up quite a bit but at the same time it's still heavy. Once I get that done, I'll take it out for another test drive and it won't be long before I'm taking things out of it again.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Loaded up on short-term food. Over the weekend my wife and I hit Aldi's and spent quite a bit. Pantry is full, freezer is full, fridge is full, even got crap on the counters. Found some really good deals. Also spent some time cleaning out a closet for added storage upstairs.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Another camping trip this weekend and we got to test some new gear. This time not so successful. I failed to replace the summer fleece sleeping bag with the more robust mummy. This guaranteed a sleepless, cold night. I brought plenty of layers for the hike and trip purpose, but it wasn't enough for the tent/bag combo. My eldest man child's feet got cold in his mummy sack so I gave up my thick wool socks to keep him warm and doubled up cotton socks for me. We had chili for dinner that gave both of us some serious heartburn so we both tossed and turned, but mine was for 2 reasons.

Things to add to the bag:
    Antacid
    2 more pairs of wool socks
    Larger cup- Mixing instant coffee in a 1 cup serving size was rough.
    Smaller water filter
    More/stronger coffee option-today sucked when I ran out.

Old Boyscout truck...always wear dry socks to bed while camping. Sweaty socks will super
    cool your feet.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom