• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    Finished buying all of my blacksmith equip.(anvil)
    Now to build the forge and start learning how to make tools!
    Took a 3day AR-15 armorers course put on by COLT
    Plus 2hrs of CQC training
    And am working on filling the deep freezer with venison ;)

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    That reminds me I need to practice with my extra sutures. Never done it. I can sew with thread, but not the same. Have a couple associates that are in the EMT/Nurse biz. Maybe I will get with them for some one on one training.

Practice on pigs feet. Way different feel than an orange. The skin is very tough, and resiliant. You can really see and feel the advantage to a cutting needle vs a curved sewing needle for example. On pigs feet you can create an entire wound, maybe with some devitalized tissue that needs trimmed up, the tissue layers are real so you can plan your work according to proper protocol, like avoiding dead spaces depending on how deep and how many layers are involved.

I've practiced fine sutures and delicate knot tying on grapes and worked the tough, field grade suturing and stapling on pigs feet.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Deal Alert: Target has the 3200 series Food Saver on Clearance for 38.50 with tax. Retail is 139.00

There were 2 left after I got mine at the Southport store.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Topped off the fuel jugs. Added StaBil and stored them properly.
    Son and I built up another 20" AR from spare parts acquired over time. Had to buy a few things but it was fun piecing it together. We had almost an entire gun in parts.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Practice on pigs feet. Way different feel than an orange. The skin is very tough, and resiliant. You can really see and feel the advantage to a cutting needle vs a curved sewing needle for example. On pigs feet you can create an entire wound, maybe with some devitalized tissue that needs trimmed up, the tissue layers are real so you can plan your work according to proper protocol, like avoiding dead spaces depending on how deep and how many layers are involved.

I've practiced fine sutures and delicate knot tying on grapes and worked the tough, field grade suturing and stapling on pigs feet.

That is a great idea. This is definitely one (of many) areas that I am lacking skills in. I have bandaged, taped, glued, and butterflied but never sewn a wound.

I understand the layers and the different sizes and types of sutures for different types of care, but I don't have the knowledge or skill set to do anything with that. Have it in books, but if I have to stop and read it could be bad.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Deal Alert: Target has the 3200 series Food Saver on Clearance for 38.50 with tax. Retail is 139.00

There were 2 left after I got mine at the Southport store.

Spend the 10 bucks and get the wide mouth jar sealer...did not read good reviews about the regular jar sealer...got the wide mouth from BBB $10.00 and they did not charge me shipping when I ordered in the store...Amazon is the only place I have found the regular mouth one...let me me know if anyone has tried it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I started a campfire with my daughter today. For one, I'm way too rusty and for another I need to find a better utility wagon than their little red toy wagon.

David202

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've been planning upgrades to my FAKs. I don't have a solid BOB so that's next on the list along with ammo. I have been looking at what others have done and been working on a list of contents that I want but haven't purchased too much yet.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've been planning upgrades to my FAKs. I don't have a solid BOB so that's next on the list along with ammo. I have been looking at what others have done and been working on a list of contents that I want but haven't purchased too much yet.

Excellent reference materials in the sticky's at the top of this section.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood

Many go overboard on their FAK's. I use 3 different ones for different things. The one in my BOB is very well stocked and has a plethora of uses, whereas the ones in MY EDC bag and home FAK are fairly sparse. Lots of small injury stuff, headache meds, burn creme and skin closures but no bigtime blow out stuff besides square bandages. The thought process is, I'm going to have 911 backup in the occasion I use the EDC or Home kit, but no backup when I'm forced to use the BOB kit. The BOB kit has just about everything needed to close and treat minor injuries to semi-serious injuries and illness.

A FAK filled to the brim with things you won't use just costs you time and money that can be better used elsewhere. I'm a first aid/AED/CPR/First responder instructor so I teach this to my students. The ready made kits are fine as a starting point, but they are far from complete. Even the military blow out kits and the responder kits need to be improved.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Many go overboard on their FAK's. I use 3 different ones for different things. The one in my BOB is very well stocked and has a plethora of uses, whereas the ones in MY EDC bag and home FAK are fairly sparse. Lots of small injury stuff, headache meds, burn creme and skin closures but no bigtime blow out stuff besides square bandages. The thought process is, I'm going to have 911 backup in the occasion I use the EDC or Home kit, but no backup when I'm forced to use the BOB kit. The BOB kit has just about everything needed to close and treat minor injuries to semi-serious injuries and illness.

A FAK filled to the brim with things you won't use just costs you time and money that can be better used elsewhere. I'm a first aid/AED/CPR/First responder instructor so I teach this to my students. The ready made kits are fine as a starting point, but they are far from complete. Even the military blow out kits and the responder kits need to be improved.

I follow this thinking to a point. The EDC is fairly sparse and set up for self attention mainly. The BOB, like yours is very well stocked to cover most everything I/we can attend to in the field. The home kit is fairly well appointed as the wife handles that one and she doctors a wide variety of things from my wounds down to grand baby's etc. To each their needs.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    I follow this thinking to a point. The EDC is fairly sparse and set up for self attention mainly. The BOB, like yours is very well stocked to cover most everything I/we can attend to in the field. The home kit is fairly well appointed as the wife handles that one and she doctors a wide variety of things from my wounds down to grand baby's etc. To each their needs.

The reason my home kit is sparse is because the BOB is at home 95% of the time. Keeps the wife from messing up my BOB kit, but there is a backup system in the house most of the time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The reason my home kit is sparse is because the BOB is at home 95% of the time. Keeps the wife from messing up my BOB kit, but there is a backup system in the house most of the time.

Our BOB is accessible as well but I try and keep it intact. If something get used from it I am not always made aware of it. That is why the wife has her own FAK

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Our BOB is accessible as well but I try and keep it intact. If something get used from it I am not always made aware of it. That is why the wife has her own FAK
    THIS! Every time I inventory and date check, I find the hydrocortisone, triple antibiotic, OTC pain meds, congestion meds and bandages/tape missing because it was quicker than running to the store or it was needed right away or whatever excuse she thinks of first...In fact that reminds me....time for a check since I now have Bactroban cream to add to the FAK.

ETA, there are at least 7-8 big tubes hydrocortisone and antibiotic ointment floating around the house at all times but the ones from the BOB somehow are always the only ones she can seem to locate.....Grrrrr

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom