• Status
    Not open for further replies.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Installed night sights on my EDC, trying to get used to the different POI.

Also trying to get used to the new eyes. Had the laser surgery done. Traded prescription glasses for readers.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Great mjnds must think alike. I just put xs big dot 24/7's on my glock 26.

Also, I've been noticing that 9mm ammo at reasonable prices is starting to dry up so I bought some ammo before all the election craze hits.

Last edited:

aka-kesler

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    Wife got her first Handgun. Now Practice Practice Practice!!! Probly gonna have to start re-loading!! That is not such a bad thing though.. just another needed skill for being a decent prepper I guess.:patriot:

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Worked with my son a little more on how to deal with strangers after we had an incident this morning in front of our house waiting for the school bus. Got a glock 19 today as well as a savage model 10 308. Bought some ammo for both as well as a couple of holsters for some of our other handguns.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Swapped out fuel in storage, stabilized and biocided it. Spent a day at the range with new DMR rifle, taught the wife some drills. Purchased quite a few backup items for cooking. upgraded some BOB items to lighter weight stuff. Going out to test the new stuff this weekend. Upgraded the triggers on a couple rifles. Bought some spare mags for another. Finally got a copy of the country living book.

Next prep: Food storage. Dehydrator, food saver, more cans to store the late harvest deals at the farmers market. Set up new raised gardens for next year. Start planning for next growing season.

We bought the Excalibur dehydrator...has 9 trays and works great. If you are going to get a food saver buy the jar sealer...great way to store your dehydrated food and dry food. Garage sales always have jars and food savers...I have picked a couple up for 5 bucks. Last year I bought 14 cases of jars mostly 1/2 gallon ones at a yard sale for 11 bucks.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    We bought the Excalibur dehydrator...has 9 trays and works great. If you are going to get a food saver buy the jar sealer...great way to store your dehydrated food and dry food. Garage sales always have jars and food savers...I have picked a couple up for 5 bucks. Last year I bought 14 cases of jars mostly 1/2 gallon ones at a yard sale for 11 bucks.

Great minds think alike. Those are the units and accessories I'm planning to purchase. If things slow down at work I'm planning to hit a few yard sales for some needed items. Still not sure which model food saver I want. Def going to do some more research on the food saver to find the right one. A friend of mine has a flour mill for sale, might have to pick it up as well.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Great mjnds must think alike. I just put xs big dot 24/7's on my glock 26.

Also, I've been noticing that 9mm ammo at reasonable prices is starting to dry up so I bought some ammo before all the election craze hits.

I got the TFO version. I love the look. I can see great with them day or night. Problem is that I shoot way low now and there is no way to change that with the sights.

Borrowed a friends pistol. same as mine but with XS Big Dot. I loved it before. Going to compare the two sights side by side. He will swap me if I want.

I too have been seeing less ammo on the shelves. I hope it doesn't get as bad as before, where it is like hitting the lottery to find a box.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I got the TFO version. I love the look. I can see great with them day or night. Problem is that I shoot way low now and there is no way to change that with the sights.

Borrowed a friends pistol. same as mine but with XS Big Dot. I loved it before. Going to compare the two sights side by side. He will swap me if I want.

I too have been seeing less ammo on the shelves. I hope it doesn't get as bad as before, where it is like hitting the lottery to find a box.

I've got the regular trijicon night sights on the G19 and the XS Big Dots on the G26. My triji's were put on at Freedom Firearms here in town and they must not have put any locktite on them because the front sight came loose. I've corrected that now. Personally I like the sight picture of the triji's better myself, but the XS sights come strongly recommended for a reason. I'm going to try both at the range side by side and see what works best for me. One thing is for sure though, I'll take any brand of night sights over no night sights at all.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I read this:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/2012/09/13/fed-bernanke-decision-qe3/
    (it's an article talking about the Fed printing more money out of thin air)

Then I bought this:
    http://www.apmex.com/Product/27086/1_oz_APMEX_Silver_Bar_999_Fine_.aspx

Today I spent more money on silver than I should have and my only regret is that I didn't buy more. To each their own, but we just made things harder on ourselves if we ever hope to get out of this mess.

You are probably already well ahead in the last few hours,silver is up over $2.00 an ounce.

There is no way out of the mess now other than hyperinflation.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You are probably already well ahead in the last few hours,silver is up over $2.00 an ounce.

If I had been smart I'd have bought more a week or two ago. I got lucky if I made any gains today. My wife and I have been building a house on some land and I've been really nervous about not getting a good loan rate locked in before the ball drops. Fortunately we locked in a week and a half ago under 4%, but the whole time up to that I was sweating bullets. If I had more guts, I'd buy more silver than what I already have.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I've got the regular trijicon night sights on the G19 and the XS Big Dots on the G26. My triji's were put on at Freedom Firearms here in town and they must not have put any locktite on them because the front sight came loose. I've corrected that now. Personally I like the sight picture of the triji's better myself, but the XS sights come strongly recommended for a reason. I'm going to try both at the range side by side and see what works best for me. One thing is for sure though, I'll take any brand of night sights over no night sights at all.

Not sure how sights work on Glocks, but on the M&P series they don't need any locktite. All dovetailed in and pressure is all it takes.

Just don't like the POI change... but maybe both of us will do a side by side comparison and see what works...

I did buy some Glow-On paint for some of the guns without removable sights. That stuff makes a big difference, especially if you use a light when you roam the house looking for bad guys. Have to charge the stuff, but a couple seconds under a light is all it takes. Makes a big difference. Not as good as actual night sights, but better than looking down a snub nosed .38 in the night with nothing for reference.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    I read this:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/2012/09/13/fed-bernanke-decision-qe3/
    (it's an article talking about the Fed printing more money out of thin air)

Then I bought this:
    http://www.apmex.com/Product/27086/1_oz_APMEX_Silver_Bar_999_Fine_.aspx

Today I spent more money on silver than I should have and my only regret is that I didn't buy more. To each their own, but we just made things harder on ourselves if we ever hope to get out of this mess.

Just my personal opinion. In a really bad SHTF situation, silver will be like cash, useless..

With silver, you can't eat it, drink it, build shelter with it, protect you/your family with it, or anything else like that. In the end it's basically useless. I personally would only trade preps for other useful preps.

Like I said, just my opinion. Your needs/wants may vary from mine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just my personal opinion. In a really bad SHTF situation, silver will be like cash, useless..

With silver, you can't eat it, drink it, build shelter with it, protect you/your family with it, or anything else like that. In the end it's basically useless. I personally would only trade preps for other useful preps.

Like I said, just my opinion. Your needs/wants may vary from mine.

Not sure what value PM's would have if the economy tanked either. It is the same thing as the housing bubble, it will pop eventually. With out the false "worth" being generated buy the weak dollar what is it really worth as in barter etc.
    We invest but in tangible items. Things we can eat and that will be of some support if the doo-doo hits the rotating oscillator. Lead and brass, rice and beans. Fuel etc.

Please do what you will with your funds.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom