Not open for further replies.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Well, I've just completed a 2 month trial run living almost entirely on my surplus of supplies. We did go to the grocer for milk, butter and cheese but all other food was from the pantry. Heated with wood (and a bit of propane), kept the electric on and the internet. Found a few weak spots in my preps, bread uses flour faster than I thought, juice for the kids was thinned with water to last longer and need a bigger supply. In a real SHTF scenario I can see a definite need for a couple of milking goats and some laying hens w/rooster. More detailed report to follow, but overall a complete success with enough of most supplies to last at least another 6-8 months the way we are and due to the fact that weak spots were found and are being dealt with. Another thing to be considered is the strain it put on my relationship w/wife probably due to being up each others backside 24/7. That's a BIG consideration that no one ever seems to address, but I am now!

ETA: Running short on beer but plenty of the hard stuff to last a year or more:)

What, you don't have canned butter and cheese?

Emergency Food Kits | Survival Food Supply | MRE Food Kits

Uh oh...can't find the butter there or at MREDepot any more...

Might try these folks:

Red Feather Canned Butter from New Zealand

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Been on the workouts and did some shooting drills the other day. Chickens are laying now. Need to build "organic tractor" for them. Working on ways to implement permeculture on the property. Working on debt snowball, getting there!

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Today I am heading to the store to buy our weekly groceries which will include a few extras to go into storage. Yesterday we we went over the greenhouse and cleaned and repaired it. I will try to edit this with a few pics.

The tomatoes are sprouting in the incubator:
    picture.php

Cleaning the greenhouse:
    picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

grumpe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    whiteland
    50p7df.jpg

Some seeds that we stared for planting in the garden. Have a bit of everything here, even stared corn for an early harvest.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    By this time next week, I'll have my tomato and pepper seeds. I'm starting them a little later than I wanted, but this will be my first time trying to grow these from seed. I have much bigger plans for next year.

Also, in about a week, I'll have two spools of paracord delivered to my house. Yes, that's two 1000 foot spools of paracord. I'm going to start making lanyards and other things form them to sell. Hopefully that will generate some extra income for more preps. And if I can't sell any of them, I'll still have plenty of paracord on hand for whatever I need it for.

I'm also starting to clean out my garage. I'll be selling whatever I find that I no longer need (once again, more money for preps), creating an organized area for my preps, and have space left over for some boxing/exercise equipment. Never forget fitness in your preps.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i bought another 25lbs of rice, 10lbs of beans, 25lbs of flour, sugar, 7 lbs of brown sugar, 12 lbs of macaroni noodles and another 6 pounds of penne noodles. trying to get some more mylar and o2 absorbers also. got my garden spot all picked out and ordered a bunch of seeds (these will be my save seeds as this is my first time gardening so i am gonna buy already started seeds this year to work out all the kinks. also grabbed 250 rounds of 45 acp sweetttttt. man this thread keeps me on track

Indy500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I decoded the date codes on my MRE's and wrote the date in sharpie so it's easier to rotate the freshest to the back.

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Still going to the gym 4-5 times a week. Have lost about 22 - 23 pounds.

Bug-out bag is coming together pretty good. Still have a few things to complete it. Did get a blast match and wet tinder.

Added more canned goods to my food rotation.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    EDDIE, nice pics!! im envious of all you guys with land. give me 2 years with some land and id have me a nice super bunker built, lol

E5: Check out the bomb shelter pics in my albums.

All: Check out the stores for "distressed plants". We got a bargain on some cabbage and broccoli plants that wallyworld called "distressed". Turned out they just needed water. We got about twelve of each for next to nothing.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    "Supervised" the repairs to my "new" ('97) pop-up camper (some fool tried to tow it with a 1" ball and it fell off). Then, tested for leaks and then stocked it with non-perishable type supplies.

All I have to do is add food then hitch up and go. :rockwoot:

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Added to the food stores and put some extra mags in the BOB. Also got a new med kit free from a buddy in the business. Still hunting down the items needed for individual first aid kits.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    My paracord just arrived.

:woot:

I have two spools, 1000 feet on each. One is standard black and the other is olive green. Now the only questions is, what should I do with them first?

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Had my appendix removed so as to eliminate emergency surgery during TEOTWAWKI! Purely elective, did it in the kitchen with a butter knife. Well, half that's true.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom