• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Finally got the Big Berkey this week from Directive21. Will have it set up this weekend. Built a chicken run and bought 6 hens from a good friend:). Worked on debt budget (financial preparedness!), Missed 3 days of work outs, but will be back on it tomorrow.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Finally got the Big Berkey this week from Directive21. Will have it set up this weekend. Built a chicken run and bought 6 hens from a good friend:). Worked on debt budget (financial preparedness!), Missed 3 days of work outs, but will be back on it tomorrow.

Ha! Hope the birds have been giving you lots of entertainment. Did they find the roost on their own yesterday?

ObThisWeekInPrep: Several gallons of maple syrup have been bottled. Several more to go. Not really prep I suppose since we do it every year :)

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Hit the gym everyday. Weights and cardio

Wasn't this week but I bought an Excalabur Dehydrator. Hope to give it a try this week.

Started rounding up all of the things on my list to go in my BOB

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Ha! Hope the birds have been giving you lots of entertainment. Did they find the roost on their own yesterday?

ObThisWeekInPrep: Several gallons of maple syrup have been bottled. Several more to go. Not really prep I suppose since we do it every year :)
    On that first day, I went out as it got dark and two birds were already in there, and the rest proceeded to fly up in a matter of 5min! So, yes they found their roost. I need to get the setting boxes set up, but they seemed to have settled in quite nicely. Thanks again! :)

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Today I tested an old, previously opened jar of "Red Star Active Dry Yeast" that I found lurking in the door of my fridge.

Expiration date was July, 2009.
    Worked wonderfully (see photo of Cinnamon Bread)!

So, I guess one could theoretically buy a new jar & bury it in-ground or in water (with appropriate waterproof coverings, etc) to keep it "refrigerated" for a couple years, in the
    bug-out location or wherever, and be able to use it just fine.

The "SAF-Instant" yeast stores for many, many years if frozen, I'm told, but I'm thinking about non-electric options.

web.jpg

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Today I tested an old, previously opened jar of "Red Star Active Dry Yeast" that I found lurking in the door of my fridge.

Expiration date was July, 2009.
    Worked wonderfully (see photo of Cinnamon Bread)!

So, I guess one could theoretically buy a new jar & bury it in-ground or in water (with appropriate waterproof coverings, etc) to keep it "refrigerated" for a couple years, in the
    bug-out location or wherever, and be able to use it just fine.

The "SAF-Instant" yeast stores for many, many years if frozen, I'm told, but I'm thinking about non-electric options.

web.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Cinnamon Bread!!! :yesway: :yesway:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I don't normally post in this thread because our preps are part of our normal cycle since I've been doing it since I was 11 :D, but I got to thinking about it and on Sunday we had a forest products day. We were boiling down maple sap for syrup as we do every year this time, I milled some lumber, one of the girls was splitting firewood for next year's heating, and the other was planing down some oak cut from our property that had been air drying for a couple of years for trim for her room. So that day was devoted to using and processing forest products from our 150 acres :rockwoot:

tk21k

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    MSG2-Mt Comfort
    Canned the last of the sweet potatoes, about 2 bushel, finished making the maple syrup, bought 50lbs of rice 20 lbs of beans, finally got my bob, and worked out 6 days.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't normally post in this thread because our preps are part of our normal cycle since I've been doing it since I was 11 :D, but I got to thinking about it and on Sunday we had a forest products day. We were boiling down maple sap for syrup as we do every year this time, I milled some lumber, one of the girls was splitting firewood for next year's heating, and the other was planing down some oak cut from our property that had been air drying for a couple of years for trim for her room. So that day was devoted to using and processing forest products from our 150 acres :rockwoot:

You're living my dream, especially the part where the kids help out.:bowdown:

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    We put up a bunch of homemade mixes. One of our children is allergic to gluten, so we make most of our mixes from rice flour. We also make up mixes with rice, like side dishes,and vacume seal them in jars. Got a nice order of seasonings from Aldens Millhouse, they make those mixes tast gooood!

As much as I don't like to admit, I sit on my duff too much, so I went to the school pool with my daughter to swim. Fat dosen't move as easy as it used to. I will get back in shape this spring, I'm not too far gone...yet.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Woke up early didn't eat, drank what was left in the naglene bottles in the truck for water. Shot the .22 from 25yds out to 250yds for about 3 hours, got home ran just under 3 miles. Just wanted to see how not eating and limited water would affect my shooting and run... Managed 4 of 10 on an 8" target at 250 (CZ 452-2E, CCI Mini-Mag HP's), and clock my run in at 2.7 miles in 27:07...Drank a quart of water... Now I am drinking beer and grilling some catfish...

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    enjoyed the outdoors

walked the entire fence row
    fixed a leaky pipe in the pump house
    destroyed old records that I don't need
    the locust trees on the fence row are getting some nice thorns:D
    found the missing cell phone
    started planning what to plant in the garden

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I took all of the firearms out of the safe, and cleaned, lubed, and inventoried. Also checked dates on ammo boxes(written on inside of flap of box), rotated older vs new. Since last gun show added a Mosin 91/30 rifle. Rechecked and cleaned and oiled for future range session. Read a ton of history about Mosin rifles and will use some info at range. Will need to check all batterys for lanterns,flashlights,radios, and replace when needed.(including smoke and co detectors). Spring is coming.(also tornado season). Start checking BOB in house and truck for any missing or used items. Getting sale flyers together to stock up on water, can goods, non perishable items used over winter.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    I got some surplus military back packs for the whole family. Plan on making BOB's with them.

Bought some more water filters

Did some target practice with my son and our 9mms

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Ordered a ton of Hierloom seeds for the garden. Hauled a load of manure to the garden. Got more silver. Got a great book on COuntry Living skills, Got my chainsaw blade grider in and sharpened 2 blades, ordered more reloading stuff. Picked up a shower to be installed in my bug out hideaway, ordered a 5000 lb wench for my ranger, plan to stockpile firewood this weekend. Started my Forest Management Class... Helped buy the son in law his first gun for his birthday. My BOB is now officially in my truck. Wew

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Ha, 2 in a week! Our Sam's Club membership we got last year for the seminar we were hosting was about to expire and the household budget had some extra in it so we decided to stock up on some basics. Spent $570 and filled two cars with staple type items. Now we have to sort through and get some things repackaged into smaller containers.

I looked at what we got and estimated that we've increased our preps for food by about a month and a half or so for the family under normal rations, and three months for emergency.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Hubby tilled the upper garden
    seen here:

web.jpg

And I finally got my garden seeds started in the Vent-O-Matic hothouse:

web.jpg