What else are you guys into? Any hobbies?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I made this last night after church. Dunno what the wood is, it was in the bargain bin.

image_zps9927b711.jpg

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    Well, this is more of a job for me rather than a hobby, but I thought I would let you guys see a little bit of my work! If you read my thread here in the break room, you already know that I am a lamp-worker. I don't really have any hobbies besides guns, so I'll show off some of the stuff I don't get to do very often. Sorry if this is too pic heavy. I got a little carried away, so if it is too much, just let me know and I'll take a bunch of them off.

First is a perfume bottle I made back in 2010ish for my girlfriends mom. It's only the second one I had done, so the foot is a little bit off, but no bad enough to affect stability in any way.

Here is a few pendants with Gilson synthetic opals encased in them. They have to be synthetic as real opal will burn up due to being organic material and being exposed to temperatures well above 2000 degrees. Love opal encasement's. The other color in these is done by fuming .999 fine silver and 24K gold onto the glass. Basically heat the metals until the become a vapor, which is carried by the flame and deposited onto the glass. Clear is dotted or drawn over the fuming in order to trap it and keep it from burning off.

These are some of my favorite "implosion" pendants to make. I call these coral pendants. Name should be pretty self explanatory. Most of these are from 2010.

Playing around with color and sculpture. Like to call this one the "beheaded ancient alien demon head". This one is made of one of my all time favorite colors, called Light Blue Amber Purple. You can achieve an amazing variety of color from this single rod.

These are honeycombs done with very heavy silver fuming "struck" to make them turn purple. One of the techniques that takes most people quite some time to get down correctly, if they do at all. This was my first batch of them that came out how they should. I can now get them to be much more vibrant and darker purple. I had a great teacher for these.

Turtle pendant from 2010 for my cousin.

This is rainbow dichroic glass prep cane. Dichroic glass is made by suspending a sheet of glass high above electrodes with precious metals on them which are heated and turned to a vapor which coats the glass. After working the metal turns into those colored "shards" which you see encased in the glass.

Mushrooms are the first thing almost all lamp-workers learn how to make. Haven't done one in years.

Here's my torch with custom paint job running. Her name is Ophelia. She's is a 2 stage, triple mix, oxy/propane torch made by GTT called The Mirage, referred to by most as the leaders of the torch making industry. It is also hooked up to a mechanical foot pedal, which allows me to open and close the second stage without touching my valves. The only time I need to mess with valves is when I need to adjust the size of the flame more than what switching between 1 stage and 2 stages allows.

Looking at the face you can see an example of triple mix technology. The torch has 2 propane knobs and 4 oxygen knobs. Basically, it has an extra oxygen port in the center of every propane port, unlike any other oxy/propane torch. This allows for greater, more efficient combustion of the propane, which in turn translates to more heat produced. This also allows you to achieve a much wider range of flame types and sizes.

Incredible color work man, keep it up!

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Like a few others I brew my own beer. Just bottled a wheat beer that I added rind from a genuine Florida orange to.

I also like to build 1/48 scale model WWII planes. I used to actively buy/collect coins, now I mostly passively collect (looking through change). I trail ride mountain bike when I can.

I recently made the decision to buy an RC airplane (after wanting one for years). I did not buy the actual plane (HobbyZone Champ) yet, but I bought extra parts and a mod kit for the wings. I will buy the plane next week and then perform the mods while the weather is still bad. I can't wait to start flying RC, since I never have, so I'm starting small and simple and hope to expand the "hangar" in the future.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Well, this is more of a job for me rather than a hobby, but I thought I would let you guys see a little bit of my work! If you read my thread here in the break room, you already know that I am a lamp-worker. I don't really have any hobbies besides guns, so I'll show off some of the stuff I don't get to do very often. Sorry if this is too pic heavy. I got a little carried away, so if it is too much, just let me know and I'll take a bunch of them off.

First is a perfume bottle I made back in 2010ish for my girlfriends mom. It's only the second one I had done, so the foot is a little bit off, but no bad enough to affect stability in any way.

Here is a few pendants with Gilson synthetic opals encased in them. They have to be synthetic as real opal will burn up due to being organic material and being exposed to temperatures well above 2000 degrees. Love opal encasement's. The other color in these is done by fuming .999 fine silver and 24K gold onto the glass. Basically heat the metals until the become a vapor, which is carried by the flame and deposited onto the glass. Clear is dotted or drawn over the fuming in order to trap it and keep it from burning off.

These are some of my favorite "implosion" pendants to make. I call these coral pendants. Name should be pretty self explanatory. Most of these are from 2010.

Playing around with color and sculpture. Like to call this one the "beheaded ancient alien demon head". This one is made of one of my all time favorite colors, called Light Blue Amber Purple. You can achieve an amazing variety of color from this single rod.

These are honeycombs done with very heavy silver fuming "struck" to make them turn purple. One of the techniques that takes most people quite some time to get down correctly, if they do at all. This was my first batch of them that came out how they should. I can now get them to be much more vibrant and darker purple. I had a great teacher for these.

Turtle pendant from 2010 for my cousin.

This is rainbow dichroic glass prep cane. Dichroic glass is made by suspending a sheet of glass high above electrodes with precious metals on them which are heated and turned to a vapor which coats the glass. After working the metal turns into those colored "shards" which you see encased in the glass.

Mushrooms are the first thing almost all lamp-workers learn how to make. Haven't done one in years.

Here's my torch with custom paint job running. Her name is Ophelia. She's is a 2 stage, triple mix, oxy/propane torch made by GTT called The Mirage, referred to by most as the leaders of the torch making industry. It is also hooked up to a mechanical foot pedal, which allows me to open and close the second stage without touching my valves. The only time I need to mess with valves is when I need to adjust the size of the flame more than what switching between 1 stage and 2 stages allows.

Looking at the face you can see an example of triple mix technology. The torch has 2 propane knobs and 4 oxygen knobs. Basically, it has an extra oxygen port in the center of every propane port, unlike any other oxy/propane torch. This allows for greater, more efficient combustion of the propane, which in turn translates to more heat produced. This also allows you to achieve a much wider range of flame types and sizes.

Holy Cow, that's some nice work. Absolutely beautiful.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I really really like the look of that one!

Well thanks, Jet.

I'm partial to the Oak/Acorn/Leaf motif, myself. It's my favorite style.
    Granted, it took a few hours to tool and stamp and dye and stain, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.
    Next I think I'm going to try to make a short ten-gallon-style hat with oak-leaf style border half or maybe a third-high around, like a hatband, and with a maybe a really tiny plain hatband at the bottom for subdued emphasis. If it goes well I might upload a picture or two.

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I collect Lionel Trains and Firearms. Sometimes it is hard to decide between a new Lionel Engine or a firearm. Most of the time a new firearm wins out but not always. It is hard to be in two expensive hobbies, but it is fun. Would love to do other things too, but just can't seem to find the time.

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    I have been an amateur astronomer for over ten years. I enjoy hanging around in the dark looking up (and telescopes make that last part much, much cooler.) I'm an elementary teacher to boot. My kids get a healthy dose of astronomy as well.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I don't know if you would call it a hobby, but I'm a car guy. My pride and joy: 2012 Shelby GT500

When I feel like 2 wheels, rather than 4: 2009 Yamaha V Star 950

Top Bottom