What else are you guys into? Any hobbies?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • piper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Motorcycles, motorcycles, motorcycles,..Suunto and Tissot watches, quality boots, Benchmade knives...Beautiful women....just a few of my hobbies

MT60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    Stroh
    Ham Radio (Extra Class), Gardening, I'm getting chickens this year, making some music on the piano, a little video gaming when i just need to shut the brain down, now that we've got "empty nesters" in our sights wife and I have been doing more antique shop exploring, always lots of stuff going at Church. I'm gonna have retire soon 'cause I'm running out of time to go to work.

MAG58

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Cars and electronics. Right now the two have merged pretty well in DIY Efi controllers. We'll see what happens if I get too much free time on my hands.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Read the whole thread and no one has mentioned raising rabbits. I built my cages and frame over the winter and am picking up my first breeding stock this week. It is a new adventure for the Burton family.

A rabbit buck and three does create about 250 llbs of dressed meat each year for about a dollar a pound or even less. The meat is much healthier than even chicken. The best thing about it is you know every single thing the rabbits eat and drink, and you can control their diet as you please.

It takes about 15 minutes a day to take care of them, and the initial set up can run about $150 for the cages and material.

The worst thing about it is that you do have to kill and dress the rabbits. Some folk that i know who raise rabbits for meat have problems with that part. You can overcome it by having a friend do it for you and let him/her keep one out of every three rabbits for their own meals.

There are hundreds of thousands of rabbits raised for meat here in the states each year. It's economical, healthy, and teaches a reverence for nature. I would encourage anyone who is thinking about it to give it a go.

Thousands of recipes exist and cooking them is little different from a chicken.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Want to get into bunnies and duckies. Want to harvest the squirrels as well. Looking to do some construction this spring.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Read the whole thread and no one has mentioned raising rabbits. I built my cages and frame over the winter and am picking up my first breeding stock this week. It is a new adventure for the Burton family.

A rabbit buck and three does create about 250 llbs of dressed meat each year for about a dollar a pound or even less. The meat is much healthier than even chicken. The best thing about it is you know every single thing the rabbits eat and drink, and you can control their diet as you please.

It takes about 15 minutes a day to take care of them, and the initial set up can run about $150 for the cages and material.

The worst thing about it is that you do have to kill and dress the rabbits. Some folk that i know who raise rabbits for meat have problems with that part. You can overcome it by having a friend do it for you and let him/her keep one out of every three rabbits for their own meals.

There are hundreds of thousands of rabbits raised for meat here in the states each year. It's economical, healthy, and teaches a reverence for nature. I would encourage anyone who is thinking about it to give it a go.

Thousands of recipes exist and cooking them is little different from a chicken.

My neighbor has an old rabbit coup, he used to raise them before diabetes took his legs. They are very tasty as I go the the rabbit stag at KOC in Sheblyville the day before thanksgiving every year. I'd be on board myself, but I'm too squeamish to dress them as well.

I am considering bees though, I love honey.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I wouldn't mind rabbits... but that dressing is a lot of work. Each one don't produce that much meat, so you have to do a lot.

Depending upon the breed you get about 3-4 lbs per rabbit after dressing. Since they have small bones that is mostly meat. It's enough to feed a family of four from one bunny. One buck and a single doe produce about 80 kits a year. That's 3 X 80, or 240 lbs of meat from just two rabbits.

SwissnSteak

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2014
    Goshen
    Im into reloading, MrFarlane Military, Working with the PGR. I also dabble in civil war history and automotive work; I think my summer project is going to be getting a sandrail up and running.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I Like motorcycles (06 Yamaha RS Warrior)
    SCUBA diving
    Screwing with computers
    ATTEMPTING to be half-way proficient with Linux (Mint, Lubuntu, Ubuntu) <----- this is my FREE hobby
    The wife and I just got a nicer camera, so I guess dabbling in photography.
    would like to get back into RC stuff, but I know what that costs....

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Here are some of the things I'm into...

Guns
    Knives
    Martial Arts
    Running/biking/weight lifting
    Cigar collecting and smoking (currently aging a batch I bought 5 years ago...trying to make it to 10 years.)
    Beer and Bourbon
    Colts and Pacers
    RPGs
    The Walking Dead comic and TV series
    Hunting (squirrel and yotes mostly)
    Camping and anything outdoors

Mikeshep1462

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Sweetser
    Thought while this thread was brought back up would post some of my latest work! I've been playing around with some new stuff, and some stuff that I knew, but never messed around with much until now, and plenty of old stuff still, but I've been having tons of fun at work lately!

I made this after a class I took in the beginning of the month. My first try at the female form. I was pretty proud of this one. You can't tell in the pics, but it is a dark sparkly blue color.

Part of a heart poker with an opal.

Part of a skull poker to go with the heart one above. I think it looks like an alien chimpanzee. Reminds me of Planet of the Apes.

Same one as above after being finished.

Opal encasement gold and silver fume implosion pendants.

Top Bottom