• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    It might be a little over your weight limit, but we recently got a Doberman and we couldn't be happier. He's about 7 months, so he still has his puppy tendancies but after 3 or 4 months he will be good to leave at home all day. He's very protective of our house and my wife, but he is the most loving and loyal dog I've ever seen. They do require some extra attention then they are younger with taping thier ears and they are pretty pricey if you go to a legit breeder.

But to be honest, our Jack Russel mix is just as protective as our Doberman, but she wasn't quite the visual deterrant the Doberman is. I'm not sure which one I'd rather go against if I was an intruder to be honest.

Last edited:

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Our last 3 mixed breed dogs came from the local shelter.
    All had short hair and crate trained very easy.
    The one we have now is a beagle mix. Sharp as a tack and barks when people drive up to our house.
    When she is outside rabbits and squirrels don't stand a chance.
    Birds either for that matter. ha!
    Invisible Fence keeps her contained.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    English Labrador. Not the long legged, small headed, hyper-active American kind. First 2 labs I had were American type. Freakin crazy until about 5 years old, then they mellow out. English ones are an order of magnitude more mellow from birth. My daughter, at 8 years old, used ours for 4-H dog obidience when he was 8 months old. My vet has a female that is the 65 pound range. Ours was a male and was around 80 pounds. We lost him unexpectedly from an adverse drug reaction. Best dog I ever had. I would call the shedding moderate, get one that most closely matches the color of your furniture, and nobody will notice the dog hair.:D

My daughter would loose it if she knew I posted this pic, so don't tell...

ipswervy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Somewhere Indiana
    We have a Schnoodle, poodle schnouzer mix, about 20lbs absolutely does not shed, they are bred for people with allergies. We have had him from a pup and easily trained. Definitely a people dog, only barks when we play with him or when someone comes up to the house, wife loves that he does that, security type of thing. He also belches, LOL!

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    Several years ago my wife was looking for a dog. I came across a couple of web sites that used a questioner to make dog recommendations. I believe that one was The American Kennel Club and the other, I believe, was a dog food company.

Having said this I agree with pound mutts. A dog will pick you.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    You met Riley.

She doesn't shed (hair not fur), she doesn't bark, she's house trained (****s in a litter box like a cat), she's friendly and the best friend a guy could have.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've had the best luck with mutts honestly. I've had purebreeds and although some of them were good dogs, they weren't perfect. Mixed breeds have always been good for my family and I. Those and greyhounds. Those are phenomenal dogs. The problem is that even though different breeds have different personality traits and characteristics not ALL of the dogs in the breed "fit the standard". I noticed someone earlier posted about a boxer/pit bull mix that they thought was awesome. I had a boxer/pit mix years ago and it was by far one of the worst dogs (for me) I have ever encountered. No amount of training helped that poor girl. You and your family may choose something entirely different than anything suggested here. The only suggestion that I really want to push is to look at shelters. Meet with some of the dogs. Many of those dogs are awesome and are dealing with a death sentence just for being born. Not only could you get a dog for your family to enjoy but you could save a life as well :)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You met Riley.

She doesn't shed (hair not fur), she doesn't bark, she's house trained (****s in a litter box like a cat), she's friendly and the best friend a guy could have.

She is cool, even though she didn't like me. :): I will bet that I end up with a little dog.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I think I'll head down to the Humane Society next month. I fell in love with a couple of those dogs just from their picture and description. Do you guys know if you can change a dog's name?

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Shelter dog all the way.

Our adopted American Pit Bull Terrier has not disappointed us one bit: 45lbs, athletic and lazy at the same time, doesn't shed much, loves every person that walks into my house, was and still is easily trained, and doesn't put up with anyone messing with us. We were leery about having an APBT, but it's been 5 years and she's been fantastic. She's still a terrier/bulldog, so she's stubborn as can be sometimes, but a strong owner and commands is all it takes to fix that.

She came out of Hamilton County Humane Society. They really KNOW their dogs in there. If you go in knowing what you want, tell them what you want, I can guarantee you that they will match you up with everything you want and more.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    My sister once got a dog from someone and was able to get the dog to respond to a name change. Easier with a younger dog and will take a little time.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Labs are great indoor dogs, IMHO. Lazy enough to hang around the house, energetic enough to play and play til they drop. Very loyal, very protective, and very intelligent.

Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Labrador Retriever | Indianapolis, IN | Piper

IN287.25879196-3-x.jpg

Piper is the sweetest little princess in the whole world ! She is 9 months old and weighs 45 lbs. She has the manners and personality of a much older dog. She is gentle, quiet and loves to sleep on your lap. Although she is still a puppy, she is completely housebroke, doesn't get into anything and has not needed to be crated in her foster home. She sleeps on her doggy bed at night. She barks at the door when she needs to go out.
    She loves adults and children, especially men. She is shy with other dogs (she is living in a household with rowdy lab foster siblings). She wiggles her whole body with excitement and wants to play, but is a bit timid to jump in the fun yet. She just needs a little time to get to know everyone.
    She enjoys bones or Kong's stuffed with peanut butter and will make one last all day.
    Piper also enjoys going on walks and is learning to walk nicely on a leash.
    This special little girl is looking for a forever home that will give her the love and attention she deserves.
    If you are interested in adopting , please go to our website at www.lolin.org and click on "Adoption Process" along the left-hand side. From there, you can submit an Adoption Application to be considered for this dog

Top Bottom