What do you think the biggest threat to Hoosiers is?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which do you believe to be the most likely disaster?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    We may have civil unrest if the Colts lose the Superbowl!!! Seriously, natural disaster seems the most likely but you never know. I guess that is why we prepare for anything and everything.

Trpanther

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    although I believe that civil unrest would be the most devastating of disasters.

The question was: Which do you believe to be the most likely disaster?

Tornadoes or floods would be most likely.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    Living in Lake county, Civil unrest can happen following any disaster like the bears losing a super bowl or a court decision.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Guys,
    In all seriousness from an insurance adjuster's perspective who has dealt with all the tragedies Indiana has to offer - for any area outside of a major city, flood and snow/ice, wind or electrical outage in winter is your biggest threat here.

I'm not concerned about civil unrest in a town of 150,000 because I know there's at least 150 freedom loving patriots like me with at least 2,000 rounds of ammo on hand. There's enough of us to help back up the local LEO if rule of law were to go to crap. And we're not a terrorist target so long as Osama doen't become a U of M fan.

Basically with Indiana you don't have to prep so much for the HUGE disasters that never happen so much as the predictable smaller scale disasters that happen here every year.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Guys,
    In all seriousness from an insurance adjuster's perspective who has dealt with all the tragedies Indiana has to offer - for any area outside of a major city, flood and snow/ice, wind or electrical outage in winter is your biggest threat here.

I'm not concerned about civil unrest in a town of 150,000 because I know there's at least 150 freedom loving patriots like me with at least 2,000 rounds of ammo on hand. There's enough of us to help back up the local LEO if rule of law were to go to crap. And we're not a terrorist target so long as Osama doen't become a U of M fan.

Basically with Indiana you don't have to prep so much for the HUGE disasters that never happen so much as the predictable smaller scale disasters that happen here every year.

good stuff :yesway:

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    Prepare for all and the freeze dried food i have will taste just as good during civil unrest as after a tornado. Nobody can predict what the future holds. So one must do the best they can with resources available.

RandyN2075

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    South of Greenwood
    I went with tornado but was torn with floods. It was only a couple years ago we had some nasty flooding here in Indiana. You could also add snow/ice storms to the list as a possibility in this area. If anything hits us, all I can say is be strong and good luck to us all.....

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I skipped tornados due to the limited scope and went with floods. I'm in Fort Wayne, within sight of the confluence of the St. Joseph and St. Mary's Rivers, and have heard the horror stories about floods in the past. Recent flood management projects have removed my house from the flood plain so I'm not exceptionally worried, but I know that levees can break...

One of my favorite things to do in the spring is to walk down to Headwaters Park (which was designed as a place for floodwaters to go, instead of surrounding neighborhoods) and see how badly the park is flooded after the snow melts. It's surreal to see benches and trashcans half-submerged in river water.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    A couple of summers ago, our part of town (NE Indy) was trashed by some severe storms. No one had power, and most people on the block (including us) had electric stoves. Wouldn't you know it- we had instant coffee in our SHTF supplies. A pot of water and a propane grill later, we became pretty popular. I was surprised just how unprepared some people are for the minor stuff, like an 18 hour break in the power supply.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Other, the continuous Oompaloompification of our women will one day prevent us from wanting to mate with them, leading to our extinction.

This might just be an NWI thing though

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I agree that, by far, the most common threat is tornadoes. We have several every year. However, while they are horrible for those directly hit, they are a very localized event. A quarter mile wide, and a couple of miles long is typically the extent of major damage. Go a mile in any direction from it, and there is power, normal traffic, society, and open businesses.

On the other hand, an earthquake could devastate many square miles of the state, completely disrupt all infrastructure over a wide area, and result in such a wide area requiring SAR that people could be trapped for days.

I must say that, of all the natural events, an earthquake ranks #1 on my scale. For example, I can picture one happening while I am at work. I don't spend much time in my office, so I may, if I survive, have only my dressy work clothes on, and my pocket pistol. No coat, gloves, hat, etc. I work downtown, and park in an underground parking garage, which would likely collapse, making my car unreachable, so I would be without my emergency supplies. I would have a 10 mile hike to get home, and supplied as I would be, there exist many scenarios that make such a trip doubtful (weather being a prime one).

I've tried to figure out how to prepare for such an event, and really haven't come up with much.

Civil unrest comes second. While I could at least get my coat, I would still be in the heart of downtown ill-equipped to deal with it.
    You've got a problem. Solution would be to get creative, Keeping a SD firearm might be next to impossible, you might consider edged weapons, better than nothing. Depending on what type of work you do, use a backpack, breifcase, pockets in your coats ect. I would try to get a small versital first aid kit, plenty of energy Bars and a colapsable water container, you might find a watercooler to fill it up from. I always carry a pocket knife but am not really looking forward to defending myself with it...too close range.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom