What do you think of Crimson Trace from a tactical stand point?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    From a tactical/defensive stand point are Crimson Trace lasergrips good or bad? I've heard from people two very different stories and wondered about other people's opinion on them were.

The General Pros:

• Can be faster to acquire target
    • Allows for better shooting from offhand/unusual positions
    • Red dot on someone can be a deterrent

The General Cons:

• Can be a hindrance to shooting ability if used to take place of sights
    • Grips can fail (Batteries, Alignment, etc)
    • Takes longer acquiring target due to having to hunt for the red dot instead of focusing on sights.
    • Hard to see in daytime
    • Red light from grips gives away position and gives opponent a target to shoot at

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The only 'negative' to using a laser is being too stupid to understand A) they're just a tool and B) when to and when not to utilize that tool.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    I like the CT on the SR9c. It is intuitive, The switch is perfectly positioned. In a bad situation, with lw light, I see it as a great advantage.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    From a tactical/defensive stand point are Crimson Trace lasergrips good or bad? I've heard from people two very different stories and wondered about other people's opinion on them were.

The General Pros:

• Can be faster to acquire target
    • Allows for better shooting from offhand/unusual positions
    • Red dot on someone can be a deterrent
    The General Cons:

• Can be a hindrance to shooting ability if used to take place of sights
    • Grips can fail (Batteries, Alignment, etc)
    • Takes longer acquiring target due to having to hunt for the red dot instead of focusing on sights.
    • Hard to see in daytime
    • Red light from grips gives away position and gives opponent a target to shoot at

If one understands the proper use of a laser, the things you have listed as supposed "Cons" are not relevant. As for the battery or alignment failing, this doesn't realistically happen, either. Used properly, there is no Con to the use of CTC grips. Anyone who can afford them should be using them. The price is the only true potential "Con."

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    Red light from grips gives away position and gives opponent a target to shoot at

This is a very true statement. Do drills in the dark and u will see what I mean.
    While u are finding the target, ie bad guy in a dark room, the laser will glow on your end and all he has to do is point and pull trigger.

chadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I've got CT on my go to gun as well as night sights. I keep a flashlight handy too which I would take with me to go check something out. No cons with a CT in my opinion. If the battery should fail for some reason I've got the night sights as a backup.

I'm not going to sweep a room with the laser, but with the flashlight held away from me. I still think I would use the front sight anyway unless it was a very close encounter, but I have it there to re-affirm, if you will, the target acquisition.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I like the CT on the SR9c. It is intuitive, The switch is perfectly positioned. In a bad situation, with lw light, I see it as a great advantage.

Yep, I put one one my fiance's SR9c and have been contemplating getting one for my g23 ever since. I don't see a down side if you have to use them in a life/death situation. They will also allow you to shoot from behind cover/concealment without getting behind the gun to acquire a proper site picture. Great tools IMHO.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Red light from grips gives away position and gives opponent a target to shoot at

This is a very true statement. Do drills in the dark and u will see what I mean.
    While u are finding the target, ie bad guy in a dark room, the laser will glow on your end and all he has to do is point and pull trigger.

Irrelevant IMO. You shouldn't be shooting at something in the complete dark anyway as it would be impossible to know exactly what you are shooting at. If it's that dark either the laser or light you are using will give up your position...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

So do flashlights. That doesn't mean they are useless, it means you should know when, and how, to use them.

Anyway, I'd use laser grips if my dept allowed them. I have them on my 1911 and find them to be a great tool. You just have to know when to use it and when not to. Just like when you should point shoot, when you should find the front sight, and when you should get a full sight picture.

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    I have been struggling with buying one for my G19 too. I agree with BlueIs, like any tool you own, you do not always use it. Prime example is my wife rarely uses our vacuum cleaners, but we still own 2. I can see where the laser would come in handy in situations where you have to fire from retention or cover. The one I am looking at has an off switch for range time. Just like the gun itself, I think the laser is better to have and not need, than need and not have. In a high stress situation I think the laser can actually save innocents from being hit.

Lonewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    You will get different opinions on this subject just as you will with using flashlights, and AR-15 for home defense. Personally, I think the laser is a nice option, but it never replaces your sights/marksmanship. As far as the failure comment, anything can fail: your gun could fail, your ammo could fail, if you have a light that could fail, you cannot "what if" everything. I think lasers are good for older people who have older eyes, and "could" be helpful under stress, but everyone is different. From a tactical standpoint, I think there is some training/techniques that might be helpful to learn, just like when using a flashlight. Finally, I would say if you get one, you need to find a place where you can practice with it in the dark to see how it actually operates while actually firing the gun. Just my opinion...

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I once had a CT on my XD45. I ultimately sold it in favor of night sights and a 4.5lb trigger job. Laser will train you to focus on the target instead of the front sight. It will give away your position, and being a battery dependent tool will ultimately fail at some point. What I did like about the laser grip I had (LG-445) was how it made the overall grip feel in my hand as it rounded out the sides and gave a nice dovetail.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Unless your opponent is standing exactly at the range where you sighted it in, lasers don't give true point of aim- point of impact because they travel in a straight line. Bullets do not.
    You're better off learning to use your front sight, otherwise you're relying on a laser when could be learning a skill that is transferable to all firearms. I know I'm actually faster if I'm focusing on my sights rather than trying to spot the red dot.

Lasers are for when you're wearing a gas mask or using a riot shield.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Unless your opponent is standing exactly at the range where you sighted it in, lasers don't give true point of aim- point of impact because they travel in a straight line. Bullets do not.
    You're better off learning to use your front sight, otherwise you're relying on a laser when could be learning a skill that is transferable to all firearms. I know I'm actually faster if I'm focusing on my sights rather than trying to spot the red dot.

Lasers are for when you're wearing a gas mask or using a riot shield.

Hate to break the news to you, but your sights also use "line of sight".
    And are only good for the range it's sighted in for.
    But at the range we are defending ourselves, and the fact you don't have to shoot the gun out of someone's and, means it's good enough.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You specifically mention LaserGrips. I have LaserGuards on both my Diamondback DB9 and my SR9c. Any tactical difference between the two?

I personally don't use ANY lasers on my defensive pistol, but I've played with both types on other people's guns. The LASERGUARD interferes with the way I grip the pistol. The Lasergrip does not. YMMV.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I agree they are just a tool. You need to know how to properly use them. CT offers some training with them. Gunsite and Thunder Ranch (I think) offer classes just for the laser use. I have a dvd from CT that has quite a bit of info on it. It was taped at gunsite.

Personaly I don't like the "instant on" feature with some models of CT. I prefer having a switch.

Top Bottom