What do you guys think of this for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    What is the advantage of that setup to just having a regular 1911?

To each his own, but it looks unwieldy to me.

If someone is breaking into your home (and in Indiana if you're going to shoot that needs to be the case) I don't know how you beat a 12 gauge. If you're startled and have to grab something quick a pistol isn't a bad second option but it shouldn't be an overly complicated setup.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Because bird shot is for birds. It's not for self defense. If it's all you have, then it's better than nothing, but there is no reason to not use sufficient self defense ammo.

You've never seen what bird shot will do up close (5-25ft.) have you?
    They showed a demonstration on Hannity the other night and it cut a big hole through the metal sheet.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    My main home defense shotgun has #4 shot in it. I have chopped down small trees with #4's.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    ???? what NFA tax ????

You added a stock to a firearm that wasn't originally manufactured with one. Doesn't that require a tax stamp? All of the other "attachments" I've seen manufactured for Glock, Sig, and 1911's commercially require ATF Form 1. They're pretty much the same thing it has just with a more tacti"cool" look to them.

http://www.dsarms.com/Glock-17-Tactical-Telescopic-Stock-----MSIGLR17/productinfo/MSIGLR17/

I'm not an expert on this but it's pretty much the same thing so I figured same rules would apply.

Last edited:

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    The Mech-Tech uppers are not NFA items and can be had for both 1911 and Glock conversions. They are light weight and quite accurate actually. I have one paired with a P-16 Para frame in 10mm, very handy little carbine.

BK6

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    You've never seen what bird shot will do up close (5-25ft.) have you?
    They showed a demonstration on Hannity the other night and it cut a big hole through the metal sheet.

Well I will remember that if I'm ever attacked by sheet metal monsters. Apparently you have never seen what it does to tissue or organic matter. It will make a real mess of the top layer but often fails to penetrate to any vital organs.

You added a stock to a firearm that wasn't originally manufactured with one. Doesn't that require a tax stamp? All of the other "attachments" I've seen manufactured for Glock, Sig, and 1911's commercially require ATF Form 1. They're pretty much the same thing it has just with a more tacti"cool" look to them.

Glock 17 Tactical Telescopic Stock - MSIGLR17-D S Arms

I'm not an expert on this but it's pretty much the same thing so I figured same rules would apply.

I think as long as you extend the barrel to meet minimum length for a rifle, and overall length to meet rifle length, then it is a rifle.

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    BTW- All of you gents using birdshot for HD really need to stop using youtube and the internet for your baseline firearms info. Look at LE and .mil scattergun loads, there is a reason they use buckshot....it puts the target down quickly and efficiently. Penetration is the key, you don't get the vitals-you don't put them down.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I still prefer the 12 gauge for home defense. I expected the sound of racking a round into the chamber will do most of the work for me. It's got to be one of the most unmistakable sounds in the world.

You've been watching waaaaaaaaaaay too many sitcoms, and are mixing fiction with reality.

There is no magic sound that causes enough fear to break down in terror and leave @ light speed from your house. They're there, they have already factored that there might be a home defense weapon around.

Do yourself a favor, load it to the max, have a round in the chamber and make sure a sidearm is near by. Because if there is more than one, and they are hellbent on causing harm to you and your family, you better make every shot count.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy

Glock 17 Tactical Telescopic Stock - MSIGLR17-D S Arms

No it does not require a stamp. I've been all through this before and I'm in no mood to go through it again.
    Call the company and call the BATF&E.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Seems more novelty to me. I like propper, working class firearms for home defense. Glock 23, Remington 870

I still think 1911's are far too beautiful to be thrown around and tossed behind the door, or lobbed into a drawer..

That carbine strikes me as something that you would take to the range to make people interested in you..

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    No it does not require a stamp. I've been all through this before and I'm in no mood to go through it again.
    Call the company and call the BATF&E.

I'll take your word for it. It's just some of the few I've looked at on different websites said it required a ATF form 1. Maybe it's just the style I'm interested in.

Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I'll take your word for it. It's just some of the few I've looked at on different websites said it required a ATF form 1. Maybe it's just the style I'm interested in.

If you buy any NFA item, you are not aloud to take possession of it untill you receive your tax stamp, then the dealer can release it to you.
    It must also have a serial number on it which this CCU does not have.
    They have been selling these for years now and knowing the BATF&E, they would have shut them down by now if they were illegal.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I doubt the Marines are using birdshot in their shotties. As for relying on the sound of chambering a round, I believe it would give the BG a warning, and perhaps a direction to shoot.

I was taught, no warning; your shot is the first (last?) knowlwdge the BG has that he is facing armed opposition. There was an interview on NPR this week with an armed civilian responder to a guy shooting people in a mall, somewhere. He is now in a wheelchair, and in constant pain. He took five slugs so fast witnesses said he looked like a spinning top. In retrospect he said, " I should not have yelled, 'Stop, or I'll shoot'?" Eh, yeah!

Top Bottom