• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So my wife and I are thinking about going to South Haven, Michigan on Saturday to see some friends. Be back Sunday sometime. We're not sure what to do about our dog, Barney. He's a year and a half now, and we can finally trust him to be loose in the house while we're at work now. But for a day and a half, I dunno yet. I can get a friend to stop by a couple times Saturday to let him out, and check food and water. But it got me thinking, what do you guys normally do? You can't take your dog on vacation with you, so what do you do?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I usually drop him off at a friend's house. I have enough friends with big, indoor dogs that have played with my dog on multiple occasions anyway. Plus, I've been then for them when they needed a dog sitter, so I have enough people who owe me.;)

Last time I went out of town(Indy to visit a friend) he came with me.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    We usually do the friend / neighbor checking in routine. We have a dog door so backyard access isn't a problem. They just need food and a human that is capable of throwing a racquetball.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I hire a dogsitter. They stay in my house and keep the dogs on their routine. If it comes down to it, I can leave them outside 24/7 and just have someone come by and feed them.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Vacation??? I dont know what one of those are anymore. When we do a gun show and we are gone for the whole weekend we have a neighbor who will come over and give him fresh water daily. We put enough food in the outside kennel to last for almost a week. But the water has to be freshened up daily. We have it lucky to have a nice neighbor to do that for us.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Being that I live in yuppie Broadripple, I take my dog the the Good Dog Hotel and Spa.

This is actually the second best option for us. I've hired a professional sitter to come to the house and let the dog out and spend some time with him a couple of times a day. This leaves the dog feeling/acting the most "balanced" upon our return.

At the "spa" I put him in "day care" for several hours each day so he gets to play with other dogs. He always seems pretty well rested... I feel better knowing that he is still at home barking at anybody who approaches the house, so this is the option of last resort.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    we used to have a friend come by and sit with them, until this past Christmas that is.
    We came home to this, after he locked himself out of the house.

20278_1315960420995_1290254097_3095.jpg

now we have a dog door and we hire the neighbor kid to feed and water them on the back porch.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    More then a day we keep ours at Pet Suites in Noblesville. They've taken good care of our dogs in the past, and we usually get them groomed the day they're coming home.

Also, the dogs come back tired, which is a plus since we're coming back tired to (usually.)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    No dog here, but we do dog-sit for friends now and then. Just dropped a friends boxer off on Sunday morning when they got back from Florida. I think the cats actually miss her....

Anyway, We usually get a neighbor or family to stop in for our pets. I've never used a kennel.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    we used to have a friend come by and sit with them, until this past Christmas that is. We came home to this, after he locked himself out of the house.

now we have a dog door and we hire the neighbor kid to feed and water them on the back porch.

Geez, how many times are you going to keep bringing that up and throwing it in my face. I'm sorry already! :D

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    How do you lock yourself out of a dead bolt?

Please don't tell me he broke the window because he doesn't know how to open a door knob lock with a credit card.

He had the doorknob locked. Which opens from inside locked or not. Yes he broke the window because he didn't know any other way to get in.
    Jbusch... haha you owe me $400 for the door still!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom