• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I actually love cabelas I wish there was one closer to me. And prices don't compare between the 2 cabelas new glock price is the same as ganders used.

I feel the way about Cabelas that most seem to feel about Gander Mtn. I've never bought a gun from either, but at least with Gander you can walk in and buy a decent gun belt or holster off the rack and get out in a reasonable amount of time. I've found a few deals on 5.11 Tactical stuff there before. Ammo is hit or miss. They have decent sale prices on bulk ammo a few times a year.

Everytime I stop in a Cabelas it's packed and I can hardly move around. I'm amazed people pay the prices Cabelas charges for ammo and camping gear. Maybe it's just me, but I don't need a gun store or outdoor outfitter to have a 50 foot high mountain-scape with stuffed moose, polar bears and beavers. I don't care about a 70,000 gallon indoor pond or fake rocks all over the place. It's like a redneck zoo in there. Cletus, Jethro, maw, paw and the whole family load up the pick-up and spend the day at Cabela's dressed in ugly matching cammo tank tops gawking at all them there stuffed critters.

They aren't able to build giant 50,000 sq ft stores full of this crap because they're prices are reasonable.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I love Cabelas and yes some stuff is a little high but not all. I stop in them as I drive by them and I find things I want/ need a lot of the times. I also like Bass Pro, REI, and Gander. I do price compare and I buy guns else where but n it comes to camping, fishing, or general outdoor gear I love those stores. I hate Walmart though but still on occasion have shopped there.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I bought a handgun there because it was in stock. It was a hard to get special signature model. I paid probably $80-$90 too much on a $900 handgun. I had already been waiting 6 months for them to come off backorder from the factory. There is a limit, it is unlikely I would pay $100 too much for a $450. firearm.

A firearm in the hand beats 2 on backorder.

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    GM is a joke. I cannot fathom why I see so many people in the gun section at GM when the prices are sky high and the help is so clueless. I've never found a "good deal" at GM, ever. And I've been there so many times I've lost count. I finally stopped going simply because its not worth my time. Dick's is a close 2nd and Cabelas is not far behind. I now shop the internet, INGO and since the panic, A VERY FEW select LGS. Most of the LGS have lost my business due to greed and gouging. Drop your dollars where you get good service, competitive prices and they appreciate repeat customers.

bucncrazy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    Plainfield
    Ive seen that same situation at a few gun stores... once right next to me at a bargain/used bin. The guy got pissed when I said dude point that in another direction!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I go and look but I've never spent a penny there. They have a good selection of guns, ammo, etc... but most of the time the prices are a little salty for me. They can set the price wherever they want but that doesn't mean I have to buy there. Plenty of good gun shops in the Greenwood area (OP was in the area) that I would rather go to.:twocents:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Saw a guy that works there shoot the recoil spring plug out of a 1911 about 20 feet downrange, it was quite amusing. THEN after he found it he couldn't reassemble the pistol? You don't know what you are missing by not stopping by. :)

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III mechanic [FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

StuBob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Gander is typically not very competitive on their 'regular' gun prices. However, they are not just a gun store. They are about the best place in town to find tons of outdoor apparel, camping gear, fishing gear, etc all under one roof. Not everyone who buy's guns are gun enthusiasts, and that's OK. For a non-enthusiast, walking around the gun department and checking out the huge inventory in a place like Gander is probably a lot more comfortable than walking into a small gun shop where someone is watching every move you make. Not bashing the smaller shops at all, but they often aren't a place where a lot of newbies would feel comfortable walking into and browsing/shopping.

This is exactly right. Small gun stores can be very intimidating to neophytes. Sadly, many (maybe most) LGS's do a poor job of welcoming newbies.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    I will agree that their ammo prices are nuts, but when it comes to firearms it all depends on what gun your talking about. Everyone seems to be using the Glock as a baseline. I have been shopping for a Springfield Armory RO and Gander has it for $50 cheaper than anyone else in my area big chain or LGS. Some guns are higher some lower but they are in the ballpark for the most part since they reopened as a firearm supercenter. I also find good deals on clothing in there.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by SaintsNSinners

I like Dicks Better..

ROFL

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I officially will not step foot in my local gander ever again. I was in the area of the greenwood one so I stopped in to see if they had any good deals and boy was I wrong. Between the $699 glocks and $30 for a box of 20 rounds of 9mm I can't believe people buy guns and ammo there. This was not the worst part of my trip today!! I decided to go down the holster isle and ended up being greeted by (loaded?) handguns because atleast 3 people decided to just pull out their guns and try them in a new holster.

I just bought a gun safe from them. don't go there much but I saw 9mm for MUCH cheaper than what you claim. I think I saw some for 16 or so a box(I saw some for 15 a box somewhere recently...big pile of it. Oh, that was Rural King). Not great but not horrible considering current prices around town.

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    I live within walking distance of the Cabela's in Hammond, and their ammo is at least $1 cheaper (per box) than Gander Mtn in almost all cases...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I like Dicks Better.. and I really miss Galyans

I miss Galyans too... Dicks ruined them. Unfortunately I hate to say they have had the best deals on 9/40/45 ammo lately. I regularly see it going for well under $20 a box. I dont recall the 45 price but 40 and 9s were going for like 19 a box. Thats even cheaper than walmart. And they actually had quite a few boxes on the shelf!:faint: Must be from all of us boycotting them? LOL

I will agree that their ammo prices are nuts, but when it comes to firearms it all depends on what gun your talking about. Everyone seems to be using the Glock as a baseline. I have been shopping for a Springfield Armory RO and Gander has it for $50 cheaper than anyone else in my area big chain or LGS. Some guns are higher some lower but they are in the ballpark for the most part since they reopened as a firearm supercenter. I also find good deals on clothing in there.

I was seeing Glocks going for $50 more than standard pricing for the average LGS. But I bought my O/U from them because they had the lowest price by far. As long as you know what you are looking for, you can find some decent deals there.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I miss Galyans too... Dicks ruined them. Unfortunately I hate to say they have had the best deals on 9/40/45 ammo lately. I regularly see it going for well under $20 a box. I dont recall the 45 price but 40 and 9s were going for like 19 a box. Thats even cheaper than walmart. And they actually had quite a few boxes on the shelf!:faint: Must be from all of us boycotting them? LOL

In the last 3 weeks Ive bought 500 rounds of federal .40 180gr at walmart for $32.37 per hundred, and 400 rounds of federal 9mm 115gr for $25.77 per hundred. NO ONE beats walmarts ammo prices. lol

Before anyone gets bent out of shape, I work my ass off, and dont get to camp out in front of the counter in the morning. I just happened to be in there a few times, when they had it, and I sold alot of it AT COST **GASP** to people in need. Now if everyone would do that, instead of putting in online for a 50% markup.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I should have clarified... cheaper than walmart had on the shelf. My local WMs have standard boxes for $20-25, IF they even have them in stock. Typically the stuff you found disappears within minutes.

joliverjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    Whiteland
    Gander has a lot of good stuff. I go to the one in Greenwood. Hell, I just bought a Columbia shirt and hooded sweatshirt for about $40. After Christmas deal, of course. A couple weeks back I bought a pair of 5.11 boots for $99 that normally go for $160. They also have ammo at the times when nobody else does. I may pay $5 more for a box of 9mm at Gander, but at least I can get it. I would rather pay a little extra to be able to go to the range than to have to stay home because I'm throwing a hissy fit over capitalism.

Also, the people behind the counter are usually very helpful to me. Very nice guys that don't generally BS me. I've had some tell me what others have said about shortcomings of guns and some tell me straight up that they don't know anything about a particular one. One guy even told me that he saw the same gun at BGF for lower. Yeah, I have to take a number. That's because a lot of whiney little b*#@$%! tend to cut in front of people because they think their time is more important. That place gets pretty doggone busy. I rarely see guys just standing around, but when they are, they don't usually enforce the ticket stuff. They just don't let you be rude to the others if there is a line.

I bought a used Sig P229 there for $400. Granted, even the guy behind the counter was astounded at the price and said he thought it was a mistake, but they still honored it. Thing is, it also opened me up for bulk ammo purchases. I bought the .22lr ammo I'd been going without for over a year. They won't sell it unless you buy a gun. I bought 4000 rounds. Today, during this gorgeous weather, my wife and kids and I all got to go plinking with the Ruger 22/45 and 10/22 that we couldn't use 6 months ago because I failed to jump on the horde wagon. NOBODY else will sell me enough .22lr to do that with my family. Oh, and I was able to supply my dad and 2 friends that also can't find any.

Gander also has new guns when others just can't seem to get them. I was waiting for a Sig P938 for a LONG time to show up at BGF. The whole time, they had them at Gander. I nearly bought the one at Gander, but held out. Finally bought one at BGF that came in when they called me, even though it still wasn't the exact one I wanted. I do prefer to support them when they make it possible, so I'm glad I held out. Plus, the price was $70 lower at BGF, but I didn't know that until it came in.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Theres always someone who hates something. Hell, someone hated Gandhi enough to kill him.. That outta about clarify it for you.

Top Bottom