What did Scutter01 make for dinner tonight?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Well, I couldn't get my hands on any fresh mint which would have really finished this summer dessert nicely. For the sake of arguments, let's take it as read that the picture below has a nice sprig of mint in the middle of it.

Scutter01's Cantaloupe Bisque

hr3UA5n.jpg

Total prep time - about 15 minutes, plus at least an hour to chill

Ingredients:

1 Cantaloupe, ripe and sweet
    2 Cups Orange juice
    1 Tbs Lime juice
    1/2 tsp Cinnamon
    Fresh mint leaves

Directions:

Cut, peel, and seed the cantaloupe. If the melon is out of season or isn't sweet, I recommend cutting it into chunks, covering it, and refrigerating it for several days. It will ripen and sweeten nicely, and you really want it to be sweet. You can't just add sugar to it because the unripe melon will still be unripe and it'll taste like ice-cold unripe melon soup mixed with a bunch of other crap.

Put the cantaloup and 1/2 cup of orange juice into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl and add the lime juice, cinnamon, and remaining 1.5 cups of OJ. Mix with a wire whisk until the song on the radio ends. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Ladle into a shallow soup bowl, sprinkle a little cinnamon on top and add a sprig of fresh mint. It's really just a cantaloupe smoothie, so if you want you can put it in a glass, but then your kids won't be eating cantaloupe bisque. They'll just be drinking a smoothie and that's no fun. Serves about 6 people.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Well, I couldn't get my hands on any fresh mint which would have really finished this summer dessert nicely. For the sake of arguments, let's take it as read that the picture below has a nice sprig of mint in the middle of it.

Scutter01's Cantaloupe Bisque

hr3UA5n.jpg

Total prep time - about 15 minutes, plus at least an hour to chill

Ingredients:

1 Cantaloupe, ripe and sweet
    2 Cups Orange juice
    1 Tbs Lime juice
    1/2 tsp Cinnamon
    Fresh mint leaves

Directions:

Cut, peel, and seed the cantaloupe. If the melon is out of season or isn't sweet, I recommend cutting it into chunks, covering it, and refrigerating it for several days. It will ripen and sweeten nicely, and you really want it to be sweet. You can't just add sugar to it because the unripe melon will still be unripe and it'll taste like ice-cold unripe melon soup mixed with a bunch of other crap.

Put the cantaloup and 1/2 cup of orange juice into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl and add the lime juice, cinnamon, and remaining 1.5 cups of OJ. Mix with a wire whisk until the song on the radio ends. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Ladle into a shallow soup bowl, sprinkle a little cinnamon on top and add a sprig of fresh mint. It's really just a cantaloupe smoothie, so if you want you can put it in a glass, but then your kids won't be eating cantaloupe bisque. They'll just be drinking a smoothie and that's no fun. Serves about 6 people.

Would this work as well in a glass?

Oh, and with some Rum in it?

:D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Would this work as well in a glass?

Oh, and with some Rum in it?

:D

I guess you can give rum to your kids. I'm not here to judge. :dunno:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I saw this floating around on the intarwebz today and it looked tasty, so I decided to throw it together. It was pretty good and so I've shamelessly co-opted the recipe and renamed it:

Scutter01's Balls of Fury
    zNjcIfC.jpg

Total prep time: About 40 minutes
    Serves 4-5

Ingredients:

3 cans of Pillsbury regular (not Grands) buttermilk biscuits (10 ct)
    1 Lb (total) of cheese of your choice*.
    1 egg
    Garlic powder
    Italian seasoning
    Shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
    1 Jar of Pizza sauce

Fillings:
    Any combination of the following:
    1 package pre-sliced pepperoni
    1 package diced ham
    1 small can crushed pineapple
    Frank's Red Hot sauce, Tabasco, Sriracha, or other hot sauce of your choice
    Diced pizza veggies of your choice: Peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc. (diced SMALL, so they won't poke holes in the dough)

*Note: I used two 8-oz blocks of cheese, one Colby Jack and one Mozzarella, and it was just fine. You could also use shredded cheeses of your choice.

Directions:

qhtmdLQ.jpg

Preheat oven to 425. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish. Open the biscuits and flatten each one to approximately three times the size of a pepperoni slice. They'll easily flatten by hand. No need for a rolling pin.

Cut the cheese into pepperoni-sized chunks. Stack pepperonis, cheese and other fillings onto biscuits like in the pic. Add just a drop or two of the hot sauce. Don't try to cram too many toppings in. Just a taste is plenty. 5 or 6 ham cubes, for example, not the whole freaking pig. The dough will stretch a little, but you don't want to overload it or it will all slide out when it cooks. Use caution with wet ingredients like pineapple because the next step is to fold the sides up and pinch the top closed. Wet ingredients will make it hard to pinch the dough shut. For best results, use the pepperoni on top and bottom of the pile.

Place each Ball of Fury in the baking dish. You should be able to get 24-28 in the dish.

Beat the egg in a small bowl and then brush onto the top of your Balls with a basting brush. Sprinkle garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and Parmesan cheese on top. Bake for 18-20 minutes @ 425. Serve with warmed pizza sauce for dipping.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I had no idea what to make for dinner tonight, so I kinda threw this together with what I had on-hand, and fried rice is super easy to make. It's almost impossible to mess up. Tonight's authentic ethnic cuisine:

Scutter01's Hot Dog Fried Rice

f6pSyS8.jpg

Photo note: Pretty much had nothing on hand but corn, so the photo doesn't show all ingredients listed below. I didn't even have an egg. I did have some very excellent Ekrich smoked sausage, though. :thumbsup:

Total prep time: About 20 minutes, plus 20 to cook the rice before frying it.

Ingredients:

1.5 to 2 cups uncooked rice
    Polish sausage, kielbasa, brats, or even just regular hot dogs
    Peanut oil
    Soy sauce
    Teriyaki sauce
    3 Tbs sesame seeds
    1 egg

Equal amounts of one or more of the following:
    Fresh or frozen corn (thawed)
    Fresh or frozen diced carrots (thawed)
    Diced green or white onions
    Drained sliced or diced water chestnuts
    Fresh sprouts
    Baby bamboo shoots, drained

Directions:

Prepare the uncooked rice according to the directions on the package or with your rice cooker. It's best if you use cold leftover rice, but if you don't have any, then go ahead and cook some fresh. When it's cooked, fluff it immediately and transfer it to several containers and refrigerate for an hour or more.

Slice the sausage and begin frying it in a skillet. While that's cooking, pour about two tablespoons of peanut oil into your wok or some other deep-walled skillet. A wok is best for this, but use what you've got. Bring the oil to a medium-heat temperature. Add your vegetables a little at a time and begin lightly sauteing them. Add the rice, stirring and turning frequently. As the rice starts to heat, add the sesame seeds and some soy sauce. The amount of soy sauce you add is up to you. I taste fried rice frequently as I add ingredients until I get the taste I want. As with the soy sauce, add just a little bit of teriyaki sauce to taste.

When the rice seems about 2-3 minutes away from being done, crack the egg into the rice and continue stirring and frying. For the final 2-3 minutes of cooking, transfer the now-cooked sausage to the rice and continue stirring to let the rice take on some of the sausage flavor. Continue stirring and frying until everything is nicely steamy and hot. You can't really overcook it. Just quit cooking when it looks good to you.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I wanted something a little sweet and aromatic for today's meal. Something with a hint of Christmas to it, but with something to remind me of the warm days of summer. Today, I present to you

Scutter01's Masterpeach Theater

BILq3PK.jpg

Photo note: I didn't have the broccoli or asparagus that I thought I had, so tonight's dish is tenderly known as "A Symphony of Beige". I don't get Bobby Flay's salary, so you don't get polychromatic meals.

Total prep time: 40 minutes
    Serves 4-5

Ingredients:

2.5 lbs chicken breasts (about 4 half-breasts)
    1 16oz can sliced peaches (in heavy or light syrup)
    1/4 cup thawed frozen concentrated orange juice
    1/4 cup malt vinegar
    1 Tbs brown sugar
    1 tsp dried basil leaves
    1/2 tsp coarse or kosher salt
    1/4 tsp ground clove
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/8 tsp black pepper

Do this stuff to all the stuff up there ^ :

Remove the nipples and cut the chicken breasts into largish chunks. You can do whole breasts, but it's better as chunks. Don't cut into thin strips or they'll cook too fast and get tough.

Drain the peaches and save the juice. Dab one drop of juice behind each ear as an aphrodisiac. Just do it; don't argue. In a mixing bowl, combine the juice and all of the non poultry-related items and set aside.

Into a standard saucepan, introduce a tablespoon of vegetable oil and lightly brown the chicken on medium-low heat. Add the previously created sauce, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Now add in the peaches and stir. While the peaches are heating, mix 2 Tbs cornstarch and 2 Tbs water in a bowl (I like to use a small Tupperware bowl with a cover and just shake it). Add it into the pan and stir thoroughly. Replace cover and continue to simmer for 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens up a bit. Serve with rice pilaf, squash, corn, potatoes, carrots, and any other beige food you can find. I don't know, tater tots maybe?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    HpUQrDK.png

In honor of Bowman78 caving and buying a Weber, I decided to load up my Weber three-burner Genesis today. Barely a square inch was free.

Today, I present

Weber Sunday

6rxVpIe.jpg

Our main dish was simply BBQ chicken breasts grilled with Sweet Baby Ray's. I assume you know how to grill chicken, so let's move on, shall we?

For our sides, we had corn on the cob, Parmesan potatoes, and grilled zucchini.

Remember that Webers like to grill with the lid CLOSED! Keep that in mind when working on your recipe and resist the temptation to keep opening the lid to mess with your food any more than necessary.

Corn on the cob:

Total prep time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

Corn. It should remain encobbed.
    Butter
    Fresh garlic, pressed or minced as desired
    Salt
    Pepper
    Nutmeg

Directions:
    Remove the husk and silk. Place cob in the center of a sheet of foil and apply the butter, garlic, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Wrap tightly. Grill for about 20-30 minutes, turning every 5 minutes or so. Easy peasy.

Grilled zucchini:

Total prep time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

Fresh zucchini
    4 Tbs Olive oil
    1 tsp Garlic powder
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1/2 tsp Pepper
    1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning

Directions:

Combine oil and spices in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.

Cut the ends off zucchini and slice lengthwise about 1/4" thick. You should be able to get 4-5 slices out of one zucchini. Arrange on a plate and brush the oil mixture on top of each slice.

Place on grill oil-side-up for about 4-5 minutes. Flip and grill an additional 4-5 minutes until tender.

Grilled Parmesan Potatoes:

Total prep time: 40-50 minutes

2-3 Russet potatoes (Can also use red/goldskin potatoes. Increase amount accordingly.)
    1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
    4 tsp olive oil
    1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    4-5 cloves of fresh garlic

Make sure you are using freshly-grated Parm. If I find out you're using pre-grated Kraft cheese (or even that powdered crap), you and I are going to go a few rounds. Seriously, just buy yourself a wedge of Parmesan. It's not that expensive.

Thoroughly wash potatoes and cut each one into 8 chunks (cut lengthwise twice and then cut those four wedges in half). Place on a sheet of aluminum foil.

Combine oil and spices (except for cheese and fresh garlic) and drizzle onto potatoes. Toss lightly. Mince fresh garlic directly onto potatoes.

Form foil into a bowl and fold shut. Place on medium-high grill for 30-40 minutes, until potatoes are soft. 5-10 minutes before removing from grill, open foil and spread Parmesan cheese evenly. Reseal the foil and finish cooking.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom