What did Scutter01 make for dinner tonight?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    So... My wife likes the yolk hard and that led to me burning the bottom of the egg. I should have had a lid on it. Also only had yellow pepper which made the visuals hard

8f52b288.jpg
    [/IMG]

Still looks good though..

Just an observation... you cut the pepper the wrong way :D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Coming soon: Scutter01's Italian Fried Chicken Breasts and tv1217 and his insults can just suck it.

I made them for dinner tonight, but I neglected to take a picture, so I'll post it up the next time I make them.

In the meantime, here's another recipe from my childhood that I've shamelessly co-opted and attached my name to. Crossposted from here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/67609-peanut_butter_squares.html

Scutter01's Super Awesome Peanut Butter Squares

2j1387o.jpg

Total prep time, not including refrigeration: 45-60 minutes.

Ingredients
    1 ½ Lbs. Creamy Peanut Butter
    1 Cup Butter -- melted
    1 Cup Light Brown sugar
    1 teaspoon Vanilla
    5 Cups Powdered Sugar (sifted)

Topping
    3 Cups chocolate chips (Semi-sweet or Milk, or a little of both)
    6 Tbs Butter

For a thicker chocolate top, use 4 cups of chips and 8 Tbs of butter. 3 is really plenty, though.

Directions
    In a stand mixer, combine peanut butter and 1 cup melted butter thoroughly. Add in brown sugar and vanilla and mix thoroughly.

Mix in powdered sugar about a cup at a time. Mixture will become extremely thick so use a Kitchen Aid stand mixer on the lowest speed. Start with the paddle. By the 3rd or 4th cup of powdered sugar, you’ll need to switch to the dough hook. You can't really over-mix, so let it run while you start working on the topping (below). You'll have to scrape the bowl a few times while it's mixing. If you don't have a stand mixer, well...you're gonna be in for a bad time. An electric beater won't work, so you'll have to do it by hand. I hope you have some Icy Hot in the medicine cabinet. :):

Spread mixture evenly into a 11x 17 jelly roll type pan with a spatula. Don't worry, it will spread reasonably well even though it's pretty thick.

Topping
    Melt butter and chocolate chips in a double boiler on medium-low heat. Once thoroughly combined, spread evenly over peanut butter mix with a spatula. This part's kind of a pain. The butter will help smooth the chocolate, which will help it spread, but it's a little hard to spread without disturbing the peanut butter. If you pre-chill the peanut butter mixture, the chocolate cools too fast to spread. It takes a little patience. Only take a little chocolate out of the double boiler at a time. Smooth with a flat spatula as much as you can. When you chill it, the chocolate will flatten and smooth a little more on its own, as you can see in the photo.

Refrigerate for about 2-3 hours for ease of cutting into squares.
    Serve Cold. Also can be frozen if desired. These squares become very gooey when left at room temperature.

2929miv.jpg

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    The best rub ever:

4 tsp salt
    2 tsp paprika
    1.5 tsp black pepper
    .75 tsp onion powder
    .75 tsp garlic powder
    .75 tsp cayenne powder
    .75 tsp Corriander powder
    .75 tsp tumeric powder

Ive used it on chicken, steak, various beef roasts, pork loin,
    In the slow cooker, smoker, and grill

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This one is by special request and it is dead simple to make. This is a traditional breakfast that's perfect for introducing your kids to cooking. They can easily make it all by themselves. It's called:

Toad In The Hole

Ingredients:
    1 Egg
    1 Slice of bread
    Butter
    Salt and pepper

Total prep time: 5 minutes
    ymdqt0k.jpg

XIEmwbR.jpg

pLRiYB3.jpg

Directions:

Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Melt about a tablespoon of butter and spread it evenly in the pan. Butter one side of a slice of bread, and then cut a hole in the center using a drinking glass or a cookie cutter. You can use cookie cutters with fun shapes, too, as long as the hole is large enough to hold the egg.

Place the bread in the pan, butter-side up. Immediately crack the egg into the hole in the bread. Cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes (until the bottom of the egg, but not the top, has turned white). Flip the whole thing over, add a little salt and/or pepper to taste. Cook for about another minute, or until the egg reaches the desired consistency. One minute will make it "over medium", or cooked but with a runny yolk. Serve and enjoy!

If you're feeling adventurous, you can add some shredded cheddar, Parmesan or other cheese after you've flipped and allow it to melt.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I finally cajoled my daughter into learning to cook today. She trimmed chicken, chopped herbs, broke eggs, and together we made

Scutter01's Italian Fried Chicken

29l8dK5.jpg

Prep time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

3-4 chicken breasts with the gross bits trimmed off
    1.5 Cups corn meal (may substitute Italian-style breadcrumbs)
    2/3 Cup powdered Parmesan cheese
    Fresh herbs: Basil, oregano, thyme (totaling about .5 to 1 Tbs when chopped)
    The amounts here are approximate. It just has to be enough to coat all the chicken. As long as the proportions are more-or-less correct, it'll be fine. Just eyeball it. I trust you. You got this. C'mon, live dangerous. Chicks dig scars.

2 eggs
    Pepper
    Sea salt
    Vegetable oil (or the frying oil of your choice)

Directions:

Chop the herbs into a fine mince. Be sure to strip the thyme from the stems unless you like eating stems. Weirdo. If you don't have fresh herbs, you can use Italian seasoning found in the spice rack.

Break the eggs into a bowl and whisk with a fork. Add a pinch of pepper and some ground sea salt.

In a separate bowl, mix the corn meal, Parmesan cheese, and herbs. You may also add some freshly grated Parm if you want, as well, but don't add to much or it gets messy when you fry the chicken.

Into a frying pan, pour enough oil to come half-way up the chicken breast. About 1/4"-1/2" deep. Heat pan on medium low. I recommend pouring the oil in the pan before heating the pan so that it doesn't spatter when you pour cold oil into a hot pan. You'll know the oil is ready because you'll be able to smell it. If it's smoking, though, then it's way too hot.

While the oil is heating, bread the chicken by dipping it in the egg mixture, then the corn meal mixture, followed by laying it out on a plate. Be sure to thoroughly bread it. The breading will help seal in the juice while it's frying, so if you miss spots, your chicken is going to dry out.

Carefully place the chicken breasts into the hot oil. If the oil is spitting while the chicken is cooking, then the temp is a bit too high. The chicken should be clearly frying, but not making a mess on your stove top. If the oil is too hot, then the outside will burn before the inside is fully cooked.

Using a pair of tongs, flip them about every 2-3 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees. Remove immediately and transfer to a paper towel to blot some of the remaining oil. Your breading should be a little crispy and the chicken will be tender and moist. Total cooking time will be about 15-18 minutes.

Pleases dispose of the used oil properly. Don't pour it down your drain!

Stuff to try:
    -Use peanut oil instead of vegetable oil. Yum a dum dum!
    -Instead of the breading mixture above, just use crushed Capn' Crunch cereal. Trust me, it's fantastic.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think he needs to have a get-together and have ingo members over for his food.

I don't pretend to be a great cook, but I do alright. My recipes tend to be pretty simple, not exactly gourmet, but they taste good and my family enjoys them.

When I was a kid, both my parents worked full time jobs, but my mom always did the house work because that was what the wife of the house did (this was the 70's, after all). I remember one time when my mom worked late and my dad ate a bowl of corn flakes for dinner because he didn't know how to cook (surprising, since he was a Marine. I supposed it's possible that he just wanted some corn flakes, to be honest, but I never saw him cook.)

However, that incident impressed upon me significantly. As a direct result, I've always been a huge proponent of a man knowing how to take care of himself. That means he should know how to cook, do laundry, sew, etc. All of the things that my dad would have called "women's work". So, while I may not be great at any of them, I can do them all well enough to care for myself.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Last night I rubbed some chicken with seasoning salt and seared it. I then threw it in a casserole dish, topped it with honey barbecue sauce, shredded colby jack, mushrooms, green onions, and of course, bacon. I covered it and stuck it in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes and let it cook. Turned out really well. I also sliced up some red potatoes in the food processor and wrapped them in foil with a couple tablespoons of butter, a package of ranch dressing mix, and more bacon. Those came out really good too. Sometimes the simple recipes are the best. Sometimes I take really complex recipes and tweak them in some may to put my own twist on it. In any case, I always file my recipe away into my personal cookbook if it turns out well.

And thanks for this thread, Scutter. Although I have yet to try any of the recipes here, I'm sure I will soon.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Continuing the thread of "Teaching my daughter to cook", I decided to work on a couple of the first recipes in this thread so that I could get some pictures. Today, we learned how to chop fresh parsley and thyme, a quick and fun way to effortlessly peel garlic, and how not to separate eggs. :):

Bonus: Warm enough outside to eat on the deck!

(Pics also added to recipes up-thread)

Scutter01's Awesome Garlic Chicken Bake
    fIjVbTL.jpg

Scutter01's Slightly Messy Apple Nachos
    GGO2wHb.jpg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Are you hungry for a snack? Are you in the mood for something that sounds dirtier than it is? Well, you've come to the right place. Chez Scutter presents:

Scuttersauce Sammies

KEEIS85.jpg

Total prep time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

Scuttersauce:
    3-4 tart apples, cleaned, cut, cored (peeling optional)
    2 Tbs Orange juice
    1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
    1 Strawberry

Alternatively:
    Regular store-bought applesauce will work, but who wouldn't want a hand-made batch of their own Scuttersauce?

Other, non-sauce ingredients:
    Bread
    Butter
    Cinnamon sugar
    Powdered sugar

Directions:

To make the Scuttersauce, puree all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender until it is of the desired consistency.

The preparation of the sammies is the same as for a grilled cheese. Butter the outsides of the sammy and throw some Scuttersauce in the middle. Grill over medium heat until nicely toasted on both sides. Remove from heat, cleave in twain with the nearest serrated kitchen sword, and garnish gently with cinnamon sugar followed by a bit of sifted powdered sugar.

Serve while still warm.

Spasmo was a little grossed out by the idea, but after she tried her first Scuttersauce Sammy, she couldn't wait to have more!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Very close to a "fruit pudgy pie" that is great camping food that can be easily made in a cast-iron pudgy pie maker on the hot coals of a nice fire... :rockwoot:

These would be great to make while camping, and super easy to do in cast iron pan on the campfire.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Scutter, your last post was over a day ago.

Surely you have eaten something in the last 36 hours. I demand to know what it was and how you made it.

:D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Scutter, your last post was over a day ago.

Surely you have eaten something in the last 36 hours. I demand to know what it was and how you made it.

:D

Last night, I had a Stouffer's thing. It was gross. I've got an interesting one coming up today or tomorrow. The flooding has kind of put a crimp in my plans, though. Need to get to the store and find some mint leaves, but need to wait for the flood waters to recede.

Top Bottom