What can you do about abandoned rundown house and property?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I have a property next door to me that is apparently abadoned. No one is cutting the grass and the house looks trashed, it is full of trash and brush cuttings and there are (I believe) people squating in the house and on the property at times because a fellow is living in his car and he parks on the property. There are no lights on at night.
    What would be the proper action (if any) to take?
    More pictures.
    P1010012-1.jpg

P1010015.jpg

P1010003-1.jpg

Last edited:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    You need to find out who the owner is and contact them. You can get this info from the county.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Check to be sure its empty.....gas can.....match.....where's the purple at again?

But seriously, contact the owner first.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    if you live in indianapolis, you can contact the mayor's action center and report it.

This. It's obvious the owner doesn't give a crap to begin with.

Any chance it's in foreclosure? Any "this property has been found vacant" signs? Or "this property has been winterized" signs? There's one near me that looks about like that on the front, though the sides and back still have the siding. It's been in foreclosure for the last 12-14 months. HUD just finally got it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You need to e-mail every single member of INGO who proclaims "property rights" reflexively and tells us that rotting properties are none of our business as the rotting properties do not impact your property values. They are obligated to work on the property day and night for free until it is spotless.

Administrative remedies are fine but I would also consider talking to an attorney about what civil recourse you have. That place is an attractive nuisance and a disgrace.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Check to be sure its empty.....gas can.....match.....where's the purple at again?
    But seriously, contact the owner first.

I've kinda been hoping for a lightning strike but there's been no rain for a long while.
    It's had 6 or 7 owners since it was built and it's been in this shape for several years.
    I'm just getting tired of looking at it.
    I know a lot of people are hard up and need a place to find shelter, that's why I haven't reported it already.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I've kinda been hoping for a lightning strike but there's been no rain for a long while.
    It's had 6 or 7 owners since it was built and it's been in this shape for several years.
    I'm just getting tired of looking at it.
    I know a lot of people are hard up and need a place to find shelter, that's why I haven't reported it already.
    It has rained everyday for the last month where I live;)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Understandbable but against your interests. You know very well what else they will bring with them.

Call the city . . . often, be the squeaky wheel. Schedule a conference with a lawyer.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You need to e-mail every single member of INGO who proclaims "property rights" reflexively and tells us that rotting properties are none of our business as the rotting properties do not impact your property values. They are obligated to work on the property day and night for free until it is spotless.

Administrative remedies are fine but I would also consider talking to an attorney about what civil recourse you have. That place is an attractive nuisance and a disgrace.

Sorry, I'd rather live next to that than a bunch of busy bodies always nosing into my property. I had to look at this out my front door for several months and didn't complain about it to the owners or the county until their trash blew into my yard. I'd rather have it look like that than have loser renters in it.

trailer001.jpg

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    This. It's obvious the owner doesn't give a crap to begin with.

Any chance it's in foreclosure? Any "this property has been found vacant" signs? Or "this property has been winterized" signs? There's one near me that looks about like that on the front, though the sides and back still have the siding. It's been in foreclosure for the last 12-14 months. HUD just finally got it.

Of course the owner apparently doesn't care about the property, but you still need to know who they are IMO. Then after determining their situation you start to escalate. You can check the courthouse records for true ownership, and liens. If their is a first mortgage holder, you may want to see what they think of this (if they are local, if not, then probably waste of time). Then if its not in a municipality, see what county codes exist to deal with this. I would stay on it until there is resolution. If taxes aren't being maintained, it could eventually go to a tax sale.

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    City or County plan commission, if no response, then city councilman, or county commissioner. The board of health might be able to help. 2012 city, & county budgets are soon to be discussed. Ask them to put some money in a line item to fund demolition of structures like this. They can recoup their expenses by putting the cost on the property taxes when / if someone buys the property.

Top Bottom