What are you watching on Netflix and Amazon Prime?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    For those of you that made it through six seasons of Justified, was it worth it? I’m starting to get tired of the backwoods country thing and the same old characters episode after episode.

Thinking about trying the new season that came out.
    I enjoyed the original series. Will be giving the new one a spin soon,.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    For those of you that made it through six seasons of Justified, was it worth it? I’m starting to get tired of the backwoods country thing and the same old characters episode after episode.

Thinking about trying the new season that came out.
    It's one of my favorite series ever. The only season I didn't care for as much was Season 5.

I can't think of a series with a better first and last episode. The first 15 minutes of the pilot tells you exactly what you're gonna get. And the last 15 minutes of the finale wraps it up as good as has ever been done.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It's one of my favorite series ever. The only season I didn't care for as much was Season 5.

I can't think of a series with a better first and last episode. The first 15 minutes of the pilot tells you exactly what you're gonna get. And the last 15 minutes of the finale wraps it up as good as has ever been done.
    I'll stick with it then. I just need to accept that this is basically one story carried out for six seasons. Not the type of show that has individual episodes to close out with an underlining back story.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I really liked Justified also.

I finished watching Bones. that got to be a slog.
    going to finish NY Undercover. I got halfway and quit. Figured I should finish it since I only have 1.5 seasons left

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I really liked Justified also.

I finished watching Bones. that got to be a slog.
    going to finish NY Undercover. I got halfway and quit. Figured I should finish it since I only have 1.5 seasons left
    We gave up on Bones near the end. It just got to be too stupid for me.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    They were actually really good books.

I've never understood why someone would take a story, decide to make a movie or series out of it, and then change the whole thing. This is the worst for that that I can think of. The only resemblance it has is the names of a few of the characters.
    I'm fine with the approach. They were forthright that they were doing an adaptation/spinoff of the story, not trying to recreate any of Clancy's original books. They only use the names and the general exposition.

It's better than the continual "rebooting" and retconning that is typically used (e.g. MCU/DCU, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.).

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I'll stick with it then. I just need to accept that this is basically one story carried out for six seasons. Not the type of show that has individual episodes to close out with an underlining back story.
    Most of the story arcs in Justified are season-long. I think there may have been some that resolved in an episode or three, but mostly each season told a tale. Of course there is at least one story arc that runs across the entire series.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm fine with the approach. They were forthright that they were doing an adaptation/spinoff of the story, not trying to recreate any of Clancy's original books. They only use the names and the general exposition.

It's better than the continual "rebooting" and retconning that is typically used (e.g. MCU/DCU, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.).
    They should have gone with the aforementioned Ryan Jr or some such. Why use the name at all if you aren't going to even make the characters the same?

This is like having James Bond be a desk analyst.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    They should have gone with the aforementioned Ryan Jr or some such. Why use the name at all if you aren't going to even make the characters the same?

This is like having James Bond be a desk analyst.
    I certainly understand that perspective. It just doesn't bother me all that much, provided that they actually tell a good story, develop interesting characters, etc.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am watching Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. It is amazing. It is essentially episodic, but with some continuing plot points. I like that. So many streaming series try to essentially take a great movie and turn it into 10 to 13 episodes making for a plodding pace.

Strange New Worlds is a worthy direct prequel to TOS. Some episodes are really good and others are spectacular.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    At least she could still be a womanizer. :rofl:

On a more serious note, that is a perfect example of what I am talking about. If they want a female agent, make her 006 or 008. Don't make James Bond into her character.
    The point is not to tell a story, it is destroy an icon of the “evil“ past. See, e.g. Disney.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am watching Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. It is amazing. It is essentially episodic, but with some continuing plot points. I like that. So may streaming series try to essentially take a great movie and turn it into 10 to 13 episodes making for a plodding pace.

Strange New Worlds is a worthy direct prequel to TOS. Some episodes are really good and others are spectacular.
    This was kind of my point with Justified. I am fine with a continuing "sub plot". Most shows do this. Even network stuff like Castle and NCIS has something going on through a season and sometimes it spilled into the next season.

But they had something each episode to tackle.

I agree, taking a 2 hour movie and turning it into 13 hours usually becomes a snooze fest for me.

I'll stick with Justified, but I wish he'd get some dirtbag off the streets or stop a crime or something each episode.

But I suppose we are to enjoy the development and natural progression of the characters in real time. After all, in real life, crimes aren't always solved in 42 minutes. :)

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    This was kind of my point with Justified. I am fine with a continuing "sub plot". Most shows do this. Even network stuff like Castle and NCIS has something going on through a season and sometimes it spilled into the next season.

But they had something each episode to tackle.

I agree, taking a 2 hour movie and turning it into 13 hours usually becomes a snooze fest for me.

I'll stick with Justified, but I wish he'd get some dirtbag off the streets or stop a crime or something each episode.

But I suppose we are to enjoy the development and natural progression of the characters in real time. After all, in real life, crimes aren't always solved in 42 minutes. :)
    Longmire solves a crime nearly every episode along with a running plot. Although for such a small town there sure are a lot of murders. :cool:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Longmire solves a crime nearly every episode along with a running plot. Although for such a small town there sure are a lot of murders. :cool:
    Loved Longmire.

Also really like The Lincoln Lawyer. They try to have some problem solved on each episode, or a smaller case, even though the main case extends the season.

Did not care for the latest Jack Ryan.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Watching the new Justified series - City Primeval. 8 episodes. Based on my recollection of Elmore Leonard's novel, City Primeval, the main plot will probably arc through all 8 episodes. And, based on Episode 1 - it will. be great!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I am watching Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. It is amazing. It is essentially episodic, but with some continuing plot points. I like that. So may streaming series try to essentially take a great movie and turn it into 10 to 13 episodes making for a plodding pace.

They had me when they introduced Chris Pike. I knew exactly where they were going.

Little things like acknowledging Archer were nice if you are a Trekie.

I enjoyed Enterprise, TOS, never really got into Next Gen, but binged on Voyager. The old movies were OK, but the new ones when they changed the timeliness lost me.

I love this arc between E and TOS.

Top Bottom