What are you watching on Netflix and Amazon Prime?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Re-watched "The Lives of Others" on Netflix because it's relevant (enough) to a class I'm taking that I can write a paper about it.

If you have a Netflix subscription but haven't seen it, you should fix that. You won't regret it. It is one of the best movies I've ever seen. The story focuses on East Germany's "Stasi" secret police and the terrible consequences that can come from Big Gov so it should be right up your alley if you're reading this post on this particular forum.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Re-watched "The Lives of Others" on Netflix because it's relevant (enough) to a class I'm taking that I can write a paper about it.

If you have a Netflix subscription but haven't seen it, you should fix that. You won't regret it. It is one of the best movies I've ever seen. The story focuses on East Germany's "Stasi" secret police and the terrible consequences that can come from Big Gov so it should be right up your alley if you're reading this post on this particular forum.
    I'll second that.
    [video=youtube;FppW5ml4vdw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FppW5ml4vdw[/video]

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone watch Yellowstone last night? Did they drop the entire season or is it just one a week?

I wanted to watch it last night but my daughter was in my lap watching TV with me last night and it is not a show for little girls. Flipping between Live PD and Sponge Bob.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Continuing my habit of watch great content years after it was released, I am now watching "John Adams".

Really enjoyed the HBO mini series. I should re-read the book now. Finished all available seasone of "Frontier" and "Outlander" on Netflix. have seasons 3 & 4 of Outlander on reserve at the library.

To tide me over I started watching "Person of Interest" on Netflix. I remember watching some episodes but it is a little better than I remember. Of course, I am sure it will fall apart in season 4 or 5. JJ Abrams was a producer so that may help.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I had to put my Dish Network on pause, so I've been watching more Amazon Prime video. They have a metric butt-tonne load of post-apocalypse movies, both with and without zombies, and most were made in the last ten years. Some are not watchable and some have been pretty good. I can't remember the names, though.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Yes that is a very good movie, and it jibes with what the "Ossies" (German for "Easties") I met after the fall of the Wall told me.

One thing to keep in mind about the move:

The director of Hohenschönhausen Prison, which is now the site of a memorial dedicated to the victims of Stasi oppression, refused to give director von Donnersmarck permission to film. He objected to a Stasi man being presented as a hero, and when von Donnersmarck responded by citing Steven Spielberg’s Schindler's List as an example of a similar plot device, the director countered with "That is exactly the difference. There was a Schindler. There was no Wiesler.”
    Das Leben Der Anderen (The Lives Of Others) | Film Locations

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Watched Hotel Mumbai last night on Amazon Prime (not free, $5.99 to rent). Pretty decent over all, from everything I have read about the Mumbai attacks it is pretty authentic -- not documentary level, they change situations and characters to make a story, but close enough to feel real.

Oh, and a couple days ago I watched a hysterically bad sci-fi move from 1984, called Runaway. I saw it was a Michael Crichton movie with Tom Selleck AND Gene Simmons (yeah, the KISS guy) and a young Kirstie Alley, so I thought "How bad could it be?" Well... pretty bad. But it is fun to watch to see the technology and what people thought the future would be like. It features drones/robots that are going crazy and killing their owners. So these robots are cooking dinner and answering the door but everyone has big CRT monitors on their desks and not a cell phone sight. Besides a very young Selleck there are a lot of other actors that are recognizable as much younger selves. Fun to watch for that and the technology.

Last edited:

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Yes that is a very good movie, and it jibes with what the "Ossies" (German for "Easties") I met after the fall of the Wall told me.

One thing to keep in mind about the move:

Das Leben Der Anderen (The Lives Of Others) | Film Locations

Damn. Prison director wouldn't even want an artistic portrayal of a Stasi hero to exist. That is incredible.

I don't want to give too much of a spoiler in case someone is reading this that hasn't seen the movie yet, but the ending scene -- it would really be something to read what government spies actually were recording about your life. A secret biographer, in a way. Terrifying to think about.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ... -- it would really be something to read what government spies actually were recording about your life. A secret biographer, in a way. Terrifying to think about.

I've read that there were a lot of unhappy revelations when people reviewed their files (if they still existed). People found out their bosses, their friends, their spouses, were informing on them, stuff like that.

The Stasi tried to destroy their files, shredding them until the shredders broke and then tearing them up by hand. There has been a decades-long effort to put those shredded and torn files back into readable shape.
    East German Stasi Spy Files Readied for Scanning, Study - TIME

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh, and a couple days ago I watched a hysterically bad sci-fi move from 1984, called Runaway. I saw it was a Michael Crichton movie with Tom Selleck AND Gene Simmons (yeah, the KISS guy) and a young Kirstie Alley, so I thought "How bad could it be?" Well... pretty bad. But it is fun to watch to see the technology and what people thought the future would be like. It features drones/robots that are going crazy and killing their owners. So these robots are cooking dinner and answering the door but everyone has big CRT monitors on their desks and not a cell phone sight. Besides a very young Selleck there are a lot of other actors that are recognizable as much younger selves. Fun to watch for that and the technology.

I saw "Runaway" a long time ago. It was pretty bad, but I've seen (and enjoyed) much worse!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've read that there were a lot of unhappy revelations when people reviewed their files (if they still existed). People found out their bosses, their friends, their spouses, were informing on them, stuff like that.

The Stasi tried to destroy their files, shredding them until the shredders broke and then tearing them up by hand. There has been a decades-long effort to put those shredded and torn files back into readable shape.
    East German Stasi Spy Files Readied for Scanning, Study - TIME

Apparently they lost the technology to create fire at some point during the cold war.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom