What are the best products to treat and prevent “fatty spew” on a leather holster?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I have a leather speed holster/belt that I inherited a while ago and I would like to start using. It has a white substance that appears across the surface of the holster, but not the belt or mag pouches. After some internet research I believe this is “fatty spew” or “spue”. Spew/spue is fat or oils in the leather that surfaces over time and crystallizes. I can clean it and remove it with soap and water but it reappears after a few days which is commonly how leather spew acts. I have read several articles about methods for removing spew and treating the leather to prevent the spew but people seem to have mixed results. Have any of you dealt with this on your leather products? What methods and treatments did you have success with?

1725024590778.jpeg

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I've always thought that was mold on a holster. I've had it happen but only to leather that has been left out for a few years in a shop/garage open environment.

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I've always thought that was mold on a holster. I've had it happen but only to leather that has been left out for a few years in a shop/garage open environment.
    According to the articles I read mold/mildew can happen on leather and look similar. I’m nearly 100% positive this the fatty spew surfacing on my holster. Since I inherited this holster a few years ago I have always stored it in the house in a dry climate controlled area.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    According to the articles I read mold/mildew can happen on leather and look similar. I’m nearly 100% positive this the fatty spew surfacing on my holster. Since I inherited this holster a few years ago I have always stored it in the house in a dry climate controlled area.
    It very well might be true. I had two Turner leather slings that one of us left out for years that looked like that.
    I took them to our local Amish harness man and he said it was mold, so that's what I went with. He ammonia washed them for a few days and then worked on getting soft again.
    I know it's never came back since then.
    It's an interesting topic that I will have to read up on.

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    It very well might be true. I had two Turner leather slings that one of us left out for years that looked like that.
    I took them to our local Amish harness man and he said it was mold, so that's what I went with. He ammonia washed them for a few days and then worked on getting soft again.
    I know it's never came back since then.
    It's an interesting topic that I will have to read up on.
    Mold/mildew was my first reaction too. I have thoroughly washed and disinfected it a couple times but it comes back quickly in a manner consistent with spew. That’s when I did more research and this is much more consistent with spew than mold.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a leather speed holster/belt that I inherited a while ago and I would like to start using. It has a white substance that appears across the surface of the holster, but not the belt or mag pouches. After some internet research I believe this is “fatty spew” or “spue”. Spew/spue is fat or oils in the leather that surfaces over time and crystallizes. I can clean it and remove it with soap and water but it reappears after a few days which is commonly how leather spew acts. I have read several articles about methods for removing spew and treating the leather to prevent the spew but people seem to have mixed results. Have any of you dealt with this on your leather products? What methods and treatments did you have success with?

View attachment 376792
    I've always treated my holsters with 100% lanolin oil. I treat them as needed and it keeps them in good shape.

To clean it you might try Ballistol. It's supposed to clean, protect, and preserve leather.

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    Looking at the rig, that appears to me to be a Safariland holster.

Those were made out of Safarilaminate, which is a synthetic material and not real leather. It's pretty convincing stuff though!

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Mold/mildew was my first reaction too. I have thoroughly washed and disinfected it a couple times but it comes back quickly in a manner consistent with spew. That’s when I did more research and this is much more consistent with spew than mold.
    i've had luck with denatured alcohol and baseball glove sauce

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JTINDY59
    Top Bottom