• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    I'm not sure where our how to post this.

My 17 year old son and his 17 year old girlfriend were stopped last night just after midnight up in Westfield, In. She just left work and picked him up at our house and were heading to get something to eat. Both kids were sober, etc. The girl was driving. Plan was to get some burgers and then come back to our house. Curfew is technically 11pm on Fridays, except if you are coming from work or a school event....but I told them to get the chow and come right back... Let's say 1230 at the latest. I even offered to go with them...but, hey I was 17 once too! So, off they go.

About 1230 I get a call from my son telling me they have been stopped by WPD on suspicion of using marijuana. The officer had him call me and verbally tell me that they were "suspicious". The officer allegedly smelled pot as they drove by in downtown Westfield. Followed and pulled them over. Searched the car. Put my son IN CUFFS, and sat him on the curb all the while cursing them from taking up his time with "stupid pot stops". He found nothing after really going through the girl's car and trunk. The girl's mother (we know her too) went to the scene and followed the 2 home to our house. Both kids were clear-eyed and did not smell of anything! I sniffed my son's hair- nothing. Just smelled of shampoo. The car was fine- no stale, funky, pot-smoke smell. Same with the girl.

Now my son is no angel, but last night he was. The girl said she was groped pretty well by the WPD as he patted her down for weapons and contraband. My son said the officer kept saying, "where is it? I know you have some pot here! I'll find it if it takes all night- up to you two as to when you go home, so you better tell me now!" And he kept getting more upset. My son said later that he though the guy was kind of unstable (?)

Is it me or are there LEO's with a mission to catch teens? I felt bad for my son because I could not smell anything on them both that would hint of pot or booze for that matter. WTF as they say...

I did tell my son- you just can't be out past midnight anymore. I guess if you are a teen, driving after midnight, you will get stopped.

I have a friend, who happens to be black, who was stopped in Carmel a few weeks ago, "DWB", driving-while-black. So I guess now it's "DWT", driving-while-teen!

Any LEO's on here?- tell me why I shouldn't be pi$$ed off. :dunno:

Pappy

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not a LEO, but you should be pi$$ed off.

I would already be on the phone with my attorney if that was my kid.

I've been treated like that and it sucks.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    its not just teens the jbts go after everybody. but he probably thought he saw an easy bust with two young kids.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I've been treated like that and it sucks.

They used to search and dissassemble my car back in the 1980's. It started with the officer in question saying " your eyes look a little bloodshot have you been drinking?" to that I replied "No sir, but your eyes look a little glazed have you been eating donuts?"

So i will admit the first time was my smart ass mouth and the rest were just trying to get me. I though it was funny at the time.I still lind feel that way.

The officer years later ended up running head on into a car without lights on at night at a high rate of speed and I believe killing the other driver and causing a big stink in the local community. Said he was responding to a call

I got real good at reassembling the door panels and such.

I think i would have a face to face with the man in charge in westfield. Then again it may just lead to other stops. I would not take in a bunch of donuts with you if you do go or make any stupid comments like I did in the day.

This is not bashing LEO on my part for sure. I was just being a smart mouth teen.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Teens of mixed gender in a car after 00:00 is defined as ...

... a "target-rich environment." After my attorney is done with this dock-wad, we'll approach the PD with a class action suit. There are many sorts of "Target-Rich" environments to eradicate. Eliminate the places where maggots feed, problem solves itself. EBG
    Have you taught your son to shut up and only say "I want my Lawyer"?

rightwinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Mother Indiana
    hahaha wow the exact same thing happened to me when i was 16! i was placed in cuffs and threated to give him the weed or i was going to jail! needless to say im LEO now but you have everyright in the world to be pi**ed i have learned that what happened to your son is a fine example of poor/ lack of law enforcement experince

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Sure SOUNDS like a fishing expedition to me. "I smell pot I am going to search your car", yeah, right..

I would file a complaint, and tell the kids to say "Will all due respect officer, I prefer not to answer any questions without my parents here" if they are pulled over in the future..

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    They used to search and dissassemble my car back in the 1980's. It started with the officer in question saying " your eyes look a little bloodshot have you been drinking?" to that I replied "No sir, but your eyes look a little glazed have you been eating donuts?"

So i will admit the first time was my smart ass mouth and the rest were just trying to get me. I though it was funny at the time.I still lind feel that way.

The officer years later ended up running head on into a car without lights on at night at a high rate of speed and I believe killing the other driver and causing a big stink in the local community. Said he was responding to a call

I got real good at reassembling the door panels and such.

I think i would have a face to face with the man in charge in westfield. Then again it may just lead to other stops. I would not take in a bunch of donuts with you if you do go or make any stupid comments like I did in the day.

This is not bashing LEO on my part for sure. I was just being a smart mouth teen.

Years ago I was pulled over in Carmel and asked by the very young rookie cop "What's under the blanket?"

Trust me when I say.. Answering "Oh, just a dead body Sir" was NOT the right response.. :n00b:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Have your kid watch this video and remind him to NEVER consent to a search. Same goes for the girlfriend. That cop could very well have planted what he wanted to find in that car and they'd be in jail right now.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA[/ame]

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Is there ever any place to state:

"... Eff you, officer. You are trying to perform an illegal search and seizure, and your Ash is gonna be my Dad's as soon as he gets here with our attorney!" Seriously. LEO talk smak to and threaten stopped-citizens all the time. Can't we talk back? LEO professionals, please respond. EBG
    Time to teach your son about his rights and his right to refuse warrentless searches.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought a male officer cannot not search a female without immediate threat to the safety of the officer.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I've heard a lot of stories since I moved here, both from Fishers neighbors and at work (news TV station.)

IMPD seems to be a large enough force that there isn't a uniform culture but rather some fantastic cops that I call friends and a handful of smug, little immature twerps that life will assuredly catch up with.

Fishers? Man, they've been great. I can't think of a bad thing to say.

Carmel & Westfield? Bad reputation - looking for any excuse to play a power trip. Whether it's insisting the suburban housewife who rolls a stop sign - stand outside her car, no jacket, 18F, 10am for 10 minutes all while running license. Oh... and calling over the PA to "keep her hands out of her pockets. I need to see 'em." Sometimes it *is* who you know. Some backlash from that one...

Further education is in order for the kids about consent-to-search and what-to-say. The parents too... this was after curfew. Who else? Westfield PD and that individual officer.

If I were the father of the boy, there would already be an appointment with the police chief and a pending one with an attorney. (Again, keep it focused on what happened. You DID enable them to go out after curfew.)

If I were the father of the girl... If she was truly groped and wasn't being dramatic?

That would have just become personal.

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    Hamilton County is notorious for this crap. They go after anyone who fits a wide range of profiles...black, beater car, young, longer hair, ect... I avoid Hamilton County like the plague because of the way I was treated on a traffic stop in Fishers 15 years ago. They did everything but give me a cavity search looking for pot, had me cuffed during the search as well....They don't have a lot of crime there so they have too much time on there hands I guess. IDK. It makes a person not want to go there and spend any money in their retail shops, I can tell ya that....Sorry to hear your boy got the shakedown treatment. It won't be the last time if he continues to cruise Hamilton County after dark.

Top Bottom