• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    True, but the fact that a stop was done because the officer thought he smelled pot as a car drove by is pretty loose standard. Follow the car and get a reason for a traffic stop. It's a standard that does not allow anyone to ever really verify if there was an actual reason for the stop, leaving the "suspect" without a foot to stand on. That kind of goes against our constitution.
    Indiana case law on this allows a PC search based on odor.

I am not aware of any Indiana authority that allows a stop based on odor.

So the officer should at least have found a moving violation to justify the stop.

This is a very subjective test, and cases have been dismissed where the officer did not show he actually knew what marijuana smelled like.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I admit I didn't read all 100 pages of these thread.

Two things:
    They were out after curfew thus breaking the law. You admitted your son isn't a saint yet you ok'd him breaking the law.

Dealt with teens and their parents for 30 years while managing a movie theatre....Teens embellish and over dramatize anything that happens to them when the parents show up.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I admit I didn't read all 100 pages of these thread.

Two things:
    They were out after curfew thus breaking the law. You admitted your son isn't a saint yet you ok'd him breaking the law.

Dealt with teens and their parents for 30 years while managing a movie theatre....Teens embellish and over dramatize anything that happens to them when the parents show up.

He wasn't in curfew violation, but I agree with the embellish part.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Oh I don't know. I might agree to a certain extent but if I were the kid I sure would'nt make up or embellish the story to include that the LEO claimed to smell pot so he could search the vehicle. Also if the two youths were doing nothing wrong I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the young lady felt uncomfortable that she was being patted down by the male officer.

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There are bad apples in all walks of life. But sadly, the bad apple cops get to carry guns and boss people around. Sounds like they ran across one.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Oh I don't know. I might agree to a certain extent but if I were the kid I sure would'nt make up or embellish the story to include that the LEO claimed to smell pot so he could search the vehicle. Also if the two youths were doing nothing wrong I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the young lady felt uncomfortable that she was being patted down by the male officer.

Dude, I had a kid accuse me of cursing him out, handcuffing him, asking if there were drugs in his truck (to which he replied "no"), then telling him, "there better not be, cause I'm going to search your truck," all after giving him a ticket for running a red light.

His parents showed up at the PD, steamed. And yet they all "stepped on their ****s" when the video showed none of what he said.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Dude, I had a kid accuse me of cursing him out, handcuffing him, asking if there were drugs in his truck (to which he replied "no"), then telling him, "there better not be, cause I'm going to search your truck," all after giving him a ticket for running a red light.

His parents showed up at the PD, steamed. And yet they all "stepped on their ****s" when the video showed none of what he said.
    did you find any drugs? dead parrot? gummi bears? q-tips? anything?

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon

So because 1 kid did that, they are all bad?:popcorn:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

What was the reason given for asking about the drugs and telling him you were gonna do a search? Did you smell pot?

EDIT: Maybe I was reading your post wrong and you meant that's what he said you did and you did'nt actually ask about drugs and threaten to do a search. If that's the case then I stand corrected.

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I don't understand why people think it takes special powers to smell weed coming out of a car. While sitting a T-intersection last night I could smell the cologne the driving was wearing when he drove by. Certain smells hit you right in the face.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I don't understand why people think it takes special powers to smell weed coming out of a car. While sitting a T-intersection last night I could smell the cologne the driving was wearing when he drove by. Certain smells hit you right in the face.

I think the problem is the car & kids didn't smell by the time the parents got to them. If the LEO smelled them, the smell would still be on them/the car.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I think the problem is the car & kids didn't smell by the time the parents got to them. If the LEO smelled them, the smell would still be on them/the car.

I understand that in this case. Some here have said that smelling it in any situation requires super powers or something. It sure doesn't, you just have to pay attention.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Ride your motorcycle around Indy on a FRI/SAT night. You can smell weed frequently in red light to red light riding. It's not very difficult to tell which car is toking up.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What was the reason given for asking about the drugs and telling him you were gonna do a search? Did you smell pot?

EDIT: Maybe I was reading your post wrong and you meant that's what he said you did and you did'nt actually ask about drugs and threaten to do a search. If that's the case then I stand corrected.

I gave the kid a ticket for running a red light, and that was it. Where the rest of that stuff came from, I have no idea.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So because 1 kid did that, they are all bad?:popcorn:

ONE? No, I gave you one outlandish story. I can certainly give you more concerning the reliability of juveniles during police encounters. It's gottens o bad, that nowadays, that I call parents during traffic stops to let them know "what's up." The get a choice, a ticket, or a phone call to their parents.

Top Bottom