• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    IMPD is doing it wrong then because that is exactly what they are teaching now, not to disarm someone without RAS

Doing "what" wrong? I said it isn't illegal to disarm a person during a traffic stop; and it's not. Every officer is free to do as they please, on way or another. If IMPD has a new policy in regards to this, that's the choice of their administration, not a reflection on current legality. For instance Westfield PD has a no pursuit policy, while Carmel has a "chase them to ends of the earth" policy. Just because on PD does something, and not another bears little mind to what is lawful.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Doing "what" wrong? I said it isn't illegal to disarm a person during a traffic stop; and it's not. Every officer is free to do as they please, on way or another. If IMPD has a new policy in regards to this, that's the choice of their administration, not a reflection on current legality. For instance Westfield PD has a no pursuit policy, while Carmel has a "chase them to ends of the earth" policy. Just because on PD does something, and not another bears little mind to what is lawful.
    What? Cops are subject to the same laws as the rest of us. Or is this the USSR?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is this protocol? I understand there position as far as Saftey, but if I was a threat I would not of informed him of the firearm. SMH

This is the problem, we have the protocol of no protocol.:D Police are seemingly allowed wide latitude to do as they please.

It has long been my contention that we need a statute on when the police may grab up legally carried guns.

Do we codify Richardson--when LTCH determined to be valid full stop?

Do you codify some other standard, e.g. reasonable supicion of danger to the officer regardless of LTCH status?

Problem is that we have all kinds of unnecessary gun handling which will result in a tragic result.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    This is the problem, we have the protocol of no protocol.:D Police are seemingly allowed wide latitude to do as they please.

It has long been my contention that we need a statute on when the police may grab up legally carried guns.

Do we codify Richardson--when LTCH determined to be valid full stop?

Do you codify some other standard, e.g. reasonable supicion of danger to the officer regardless of LTCH status?

Problem is that we have all kinds of unnecessary gun handling which will result in a tragic result.
    And then who gets blamed if the cop shoots himself? My bet is that he would be seen as a hero and the innocent civilian would stand trial for something ridiculous.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

They are doing it wrong because they are telling their officers to leave guns alone unless there is RAS to be taking those guns is what I meant. Judge Marshall had it right, the others had it wrong, we all know that.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    And then who gets blamed if the cop shoots himself? My bet is that he would be seen as a hero and the innocent civilian would stand trial for something ridiculous.
    Well, under your fact pattern, I imagine the cop would be blamed since he shot himself.

No, I am talking about those having the guns pointed at themselves or their property, either the motorist or the officer. I don't want anyone, police or non-police, to get shot without cause over all this silly coonfingering of guns.

I had my own gun pointed at me by an officer who looked at my 1911 like an ape with a bone on 2001.

There needs to be a valid line so both police and non-police know when the police can finger guns. All this extraneous gun handling will only end in tears.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Well, under your fact pattern, I imagine the cop would be blamed since he shot himself.

No, I am talking about those having the guns pointed at themselves or their property, either the motorist or the officer. I don't want anyone, police or non-police, to get shot without cause over all this silly coonfingering of guns.

I had my own gun pointed at me by an officer who looked at my 1911 like an ape with a bone on 2001.

There needs to be a valid line so both police and non-police know when the police can finger guns. All this extraneous gun handling will only end in tears.
    . Kinda like those who unholster in the bathroom?

Last edited:

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    This situation is ridiculous. My response to the question of having a firearm present will no doubt be "nothing illegal, I do not consent to any searches or seizures." Cops do not need to be handling someone's gun if there is not RAS.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I hate to say this, but I would pass on a complaint. Pretty small world up here.

Seeing how I live in Westfield I don't see any good coming from filing a complaint long term. I was honest with him in hopes of it earning me a "warning" rather than a ticket. Well, I still got the $180 ticket. I'm not cop bashing and I'm not looking for anyone else to do so. However, he never asked to disarm me as I thought he was asking me to get out of the vehicle to have visual while he went to his car and wrote a ticket, seems that could come close to illegal search and seizure? Maybe I'm reading to far into it and I should just move along and pay the ticket.

"the only thing evil needs to succeed is for good men to do nothing".....

Top Bottom